GM Inside News Forum banner

Which Car Should I Buy Next???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was wondering what you guys think my next car should be? I drive it only to work (Mostly Highway) by myself. This will be interesting...

Cobalt SS Turbo
or
G8 GT

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Hey guys,

I was wondering what you guys think my next car should be? I drive it only to work (Mostly Highway) by myself. This will be interesting...

Cobalt SS Turbo
or
G8 GT
If money isn't the issue or you're over 5'10" then the choice is obvious. G8GT

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
They both offer about the same performance level. The key differences are transmission choice, fuel economy, interior room, and drivetrain configuration. The Cobalt lets you choose your own gears and gets considerably better mileage. The G8 has more interior room and is RWD.

The G8 offers a more grown-up feel, while the Cobalt is more boy racer-ish, but the Cobalt will handle better in the twisties.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
They both offer about the same performance level. The key differences are transmission choice, fuel economy, interior room, and drivetrain configuration. The Cobalt lets you choose your own gears and gets considerably better mileage. The G8 has more interior room and is RWD.

The G8 offers a more grown-up feel, while the Cobalt is more boy racer-ish, but the Cobalt will handle better in the twisties.
I'd want to put that last statement to the test. I know the new Cobalt Turbo is said to be the best handling FWD car ever, BUT the G8 is in the ranks of the 5 series when it comes to performance and handling. I'm going to bet that the G8 would win the twisties.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Man, that was just what I've been thinking. It's a hard call. They are both sporty cars. I'm leaning towards the G8 but the cost of it and with the price of fuel makes me think the Cobalt is the smarter choice

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Holden vs a Cavobalt?

No choice at all. Holden every day ending with a 'y'

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
G8. Handling can easily be upgraded with a nice set of coilovers or sway-bars.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Is this a serious question?

A FWD 260hp Economy car, or a 360hp RWD V8 full size sedan? If fuel economy means alot then go with the Cobalt....otherwise theres no competition G8 all the way.

·
Super Moderator
21,013 Posts
Definitely G8. I've been in both cars, a Cobalt SS and a G8 GT, and the G8 is much, much more refined and comfortable. Probably a lot more fun to drive too.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Or you could just save the money, get a GMPP handling kit, ported GenV M90, an SSIC, and an a 3.0'' pulley. With that setup you'd be leaving both cars in the dust.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'd want to put that last statement to the test. I know the new Cobalt Turbo is said to be the best handling FWD car ever, BUT the G8 is in the ranks of the 5 series when it comes to performance and handling. I'm going to bet that the G8 would win the twisties.

The Cobalt can handle 0.91g, the G8 can only handle 0.88g. This, to me, indicates the Cobalt will out handle the G8. The G8 may have the better overall suspension package, which puts it on par with the 5-series.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
A "no doubter".......the G8.

BTW, has anyone had any experience with the insurance factor on these two cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A "no doubter".......the G8.

BTW, has anyone had any experience with the insurance factor on these two cars.
I read somewhere, probally G8GT.net or something, a guy had a Bonnaville SSEI and traded up to a G8 GT and his insurance went down!! I'm not too sure it would be the same case with the Cobalt seeing as how it is probally a younger crowd buying them.

So, I guess the real question here comes down to stick vs. V8???
Now if the G8 came in stick without having to step up to the GXP, there would be no question... G8 all the way.

Thanks for all the input guys, this site is a really great source of information.

Cody
(Grimm Regal)

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
The Cobalt can handle 0.91g, the G8 can only handle 0.88g. This, to me, indicates the Cobalt will out handle the G8. The G8 may have the better overall suspension package, which puts it on par with the 5-series.
This is where numbers on a piece of paper lead people astray. Skid pad testing is done on a perfectly clean, billiard smooth surface. Take both cars on some back roads where you have to deal with real road conditions that have braking bumps coming into and out of every corner and the G8 will be ten times easier and safer to drive quickly.

FWD has many serious drawbacks for handling and the worst one is rolling into the power heavily while coming out of a corner and hitting bumps while doing it. The more power the worse it is.

Like Corr69 I didn't really think this was a serious question. So I'll give the same answer. A FWD 260hp Economy car, or a 360hp RWD V8 full size sedan? If fuel economy means alot then go with the Cobalt....otherwise theres no competition G8 all the way.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
This is where numbers on a piece of paper lead people astray. Skid pad testing is done on a perfectly clean, billiard smooth surface. Take both cars on some back roads where you have to deal with real road conditions that have braking bumps coming into and out of every corner and the G8 will be ten times easier and safer to drive quickly.

FWD has many serious drawbacks for handling and the worst one is rolling into the power heavily while coming out of a corner and hitting bumps while doing it. The more power the worse it is.
:yup: Also, never forget that the G No.s will never tell you how the car handles when that limit is reached. A good example of this is the Clio V6. That car has huge mechanical grip, but if you over-step the mark it will almost always swap ends.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts