GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
that's a hot little mutha! looks good as it is... but look at the potential it has! hope GM supports it right and lets it swoop in and knock out the civic as tuner car of choice! the red line's 205hp 2.0L ecotec is probably ordered... though i'm beginning to agree with the folks that think this should stomp all over the SRT-4... and not come in underpowered. we shall see, i guess!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know about an SRT4 killer, but deffinatly better then anything Honda or anyone else is making. All forged, supercharged engine will give plenty of room for moddification. Still very upset about the supercharger as turbos mean more to the SC generation.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 1 2004, 04:35 PM
I dont know about an SRT4 killer, but deffinatly better then anything Honda or anyone else is making. All forged, supercharged engine will give plenty of room for moddification. Still very upset about the supercharger as turbos mean more to the SC generation.
SC generation? not sure what that means. is there a big difference in the power delivery and feel of a supercharged versus turbocharged engine? i don't know enough about it to care either way.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 1 2004, 04:35 PM
All forged, supercharged engine will give plenty of room for moddification.
and that... chevrolet could get some real mileage out of advertising the 1000hp ecotec they played with. from what i understand it wasn't a bunch of exotic parts... it was pretty standard stuff, no? that makes me much more confident in the more sedate versions of the ecotec than some talking head on TV telling me it's a reliable car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very nice... Automotivenews.com reports it to only have the 205 from the Redline.
the only negative thing is the seats they seem a tad flat, i can hear the reviews about not having enough lateral support already. Maybe they are the Recaro's from the Redline, and the picture just makes them look flat. Who knows we shall see.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sports compact =SC

anyone that watched any of the fast and furious movies knows that its turbo or nothing with these kids. A supercharger is great, but a turbo is what these kids live for. I dont think the SRT4 would be half as popular if it came with a supercharger. If anything, GM missed on that. Style and quality wise, it looks dead on with anything out there. The rims are quite nice.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by paul8488+Apr 1 2004, 04:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Apr 1 2004, 04:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Apr 1 2004, 04:35 PM
All forged, supercharged engine will give plenty of room for moddification.
and that... chevrolet could get some real mileage out of advertising the 1000hp ecotec they played with. from what i understand it wasn't a bunch of exotic parts... it was pretty standard stuff, no? that makes me much more confident in the more sedate versions of the ecotec than some talking head on TV telling me it's a reliable car. [/b][/quote]
right you are, they should pump the world record 212mph Ion Redline that used a turbo 2.2, and the 1k hp ecotec race cars. They use the same block as the ecotecs you find in the cobalt and ion.

·
Super Moderator
10,866 Posts
Looks very good from all angles. I was kind of expecting it to have MORE horsepower than the Saturn ION RedLine, but as GM's first real volley into Sports Compact market, 205hp will do fine. I wonder if they are planning any power upgrades in the coming years? As a complete package this thing is really nice -- and from the looks department it really outshines the ION RedLine.

Is this gonna have a Six Speed Manual? I wonder if they'll eventually offer AWD since the HHR already in development will have AWD and is based on the same platform as the ION and Cobalt...mmmm...

Nice Job GM -- keep the hits coming.

By the Way, here are some more pics I came across this morning:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 1 2004, 11:41 AM
sports compact =SC

anyone that watched any of the fast and furious movies knows that its turbo or nothing with these kids.  A supercharger is great, but a turbo is what these kids live for.  I dont think the SRT4 would be half as popular if it came with a supercharger.  If anything, GM missed on that.  Style and quality wise, it looks dead on with anything out there.  The rims are quite nice.
And it's not like GM doesn't have the turbo engine in its portfolio. Opel makes a turbo version of the same engine.

It gives them something to look forward to in future versions --- and the supercharger kick off of the line is very nice, I suppose...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Ming+Apr 1 2004, 04:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Apr 1 2004, 04:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Apr 1 2004, 11:41 AM
sports compact =SC

anyone that watched any of the fast and furious movies knows that its turbo or nothing with these kids.  A supercharger is great, but a turbo is what these kids live for.  I dont think the SRT4 would be half as popular if it came with a supercharger.  If anything, GM missed on that.  Style and quality wise, it looks dead on with anything out there.  The rims are quite nice.
And it's not like GM doesn't have the turbo engine in its portfolio. Opel makes a turbo version of the same engine.

It gives them something to look forward to in future versions --- and the supercharger kick off of the line is very nice, I suppose... [/b][/quote]
why go to opel when the 2.0 turbo is right here in the US in the Saab 9-3.

·
Registered
122 Posts
:huh: :D :woot2: WOW! Chevy can make a car like that? Watch out Ricerville! Here come the [email protected] American! Sweeet :kama:

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Only trouble here is, it's reportedly gonna cost over $25K. Seems a bit too dear, Z28 or Mustang GT pricing for a FWD 4-banger. They need to keep it at $20K like Red Line

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by desmo9@Apr 1 2004, 05:15 PM
Only trouble here is, it's reportedly gonna cost over $25K. Seems a bit too dear, Z28 or Mustang GT pricing for a FWD 4-banger. They need to keep it at $20K like Red Line
i doubt it. The Cobalt will probably stay at 20k just like teh Ion. I dont see why the cost would be so high?

·
Registered
742 Posts
That's actually a pretty nice car. And it has all the color matching and stuff that kids are doing now. That's good marketing.

I don't think it'll be an SRT-4 killer, because the SRT-4 goes out of production in 2005 when the Neon gets redone right?

I think they'll come out with that, and Honda/Toyota will build a similar car but with 200 HP N/A motor w/ 5 in-lbs of torque, and the Cobalt will spank it. The **** probably won't resort to F.I. so GM will prob have the upper hand.

The 1K HP Ecotec was just a reinforced Ecotec block with a carefully built engine (you know, forged parts, micro-gram balanced, etc). It wasn't anything exotic.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Is that a boost gauge I see on the left A-pillar??. Nice car very nice car!!!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by casket_demon@Apr 1 2004, 05:29 PM
Is that a boost gauge I see on the left A-pillar??. Nice car very nice car!!!
i saw that... very nice!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
One complaint. The spoiler is bit too much for me. Will that be standard? I'd like to have a more subtle spoiler. More like a lip off the decklid. Make this large one an option.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sure its cool; to cater to the trendy import/tuner scene.. but for sure The 05 Mustang will already have it covered in performance , price & value per dollar and Mustang represents more of the kind of car Ive been wanting anyway.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts