GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You know how ridiculous you sound. When you are inside the car you can't see its exterior design and even those that despise the Cobalt SS's exterior design remark at how fun and exciting it is to drive.
Design is not skin deep as it extends to the Cobalt's extremely ordinary interior. I did not stipulate that I found only the exterior to be unexciting. Besides, it was a sardonic comment as I doubt any design no matter how boring would cause me to spontaneously enter a sleep state without any corresponding physical causes such as extreme fatigue.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
BY ALL MEANS I WISH YOU WOULD !!!
WHAT DO U DRIVE ANYWAY?
I had a 2005 GTO that I actually just came off lease in May. I still have my 2007 Chevy Silverado LTZ. Both of which I find more stylistically stimulating to my eye and taste than the Cobalt. Don't get me wrong, I think the Cobalt is a fantastic car mechanically with great powertrain options, especially the SS. But I swore I'll never drive a FWD car and I don't find it attractive looking either. I know people will make similar statements about the GTO, but it is a slick looking car to my eye.

As for cars in the class that I think look better; the Astra, the GTI/Rabbit, Mazda 3, and Civic. (Keep in mind I would never buy a Japanese car). I simply hope the next Cobalt (or whatever GM calls it) will not simply be better than this Cobalt, but better than the next gens of each of the cars I mentioned.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I've been glad to see the reviews this car has received, for the most part. I may have to try one out, actually, one has been seen at a dealer in this area...

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
I find the Cobalt SS to be an impressive little car.. Especially for the price. I like the looks a LOT better than the SRT4..

All of you Cobalt hates really need to STHU with the XFE Cobalt getting the best gas mileage and the Cobalt SS tearing it up in the sport compact scene. GM is getting their stuff together: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=6871

If the Corvette caused jaws to drop, certainly the Cobalt SS heading the index will leave them on the floor. In this case, the Cobalt has found a particular sweet spot when it comes to balancing fuel economy with all-out performance. The turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec four, which has 260 bhp on tap, deserves the lion's share of the credit with its EPA city rating of 22 mpg and its highway average of 30 mpg. Remember, this is the same engine that vaulted the Solstice GXP into the top 10 over its normally aspirated sibling. But also the work done by GM's Performance Division on the car, including some heavy track time at the Nürburgring, pays huge dividends in the fun department. Not only is the car quick (0–60 in 5.5 sec.), it sticks as shown by its 0.92g on the skidpad and 72.4-mph slalom time. Throw in launch control, no-lift shifting and a range approaching 400 miles all for a sticker that's under $25,000 and you have fast and frugal defined.

Price As Tested $23,490
MPG 22 city/30 highway/26.0 average
0–60 mph 5.5 sec.
Slalom 72.4 mph
Quarter Mile 14.0 sec. @ 101.8 mph
Skidpad 0.92g
60–0-mph Braking 117 ft.
Tank Capacity 13.2 gal.
Theoretical Maximum Range 396 miles
Cost to Fill $52.80
EPA Estimated Annual Fuel Cost $2364

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Long live the Cobalt SS!

CobaltSS

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
As for cars in the class that I think look better; the Astra, the GTI/Rabbit, Mazda 3, and Civic. (Keep in mind I would never buy a Japanese car). I simply hope the next Cobalt (or whatever GM calls it) will not simply be better than this Cobalt, but better than the next gens of each of the cars I mentioned.
First of all, two of those cars are hatches, so comparing styling is a little unfair. I'll give you the Astra, but the Civic is too spacey/futuristic for me, and the VW, come on??? Am I the only one who thinks that coupes are always more desirable (in terms of looks/performance of course) than a sedan or a hatch? Maybe that is old thinking? Another thing is if considering the top of the line trims of each of those models, I really don't see how you could argue for any of those cars over the SS. In base form, i'll admit the Cobalt scores lower, but in SS trim, I think the looks of the car improve by at least 80%.

I guess that's the great thing about cars though, is everyone has their own opinion on how they look. I mean there are people that will go to their graves thinking that Dodge's "snout" grille makes them the best looking on the road, but I find the pig nose look of almost all Dodges pretty obnoxious personally.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I wouldn't mind owning one if I could castrate myself enough to own a FWD I4 economy car...

I came real close to selling my T/A for something fast I could drive in winter. I looked real hard at a Black SS/SC. But when it came down to it, telling people I drove a Cobalt just didn't sound cool at all. Not to mention the looks, V8 and RWD advantages my car has.

Oh well, I still have much respect for the Cobalt SS.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I came real close to selling my T/A for something fast I could drive in winter. I looked real hard at a Black SS/SC. But when it came down to it, telling people I drove a Cobalt just didn't sound cool at all. Not to mention the looks, V8 and RWD advantages my car has.

Oh well, I still have much respect for the Cobalt SS.
People like you are funny to me. :)

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
+1 and the arguement gets even worse with 4$+/gallon of gas and in northern states like ours that get snow. I know of guys that drive vettes and fbodys in the snow but its scary...i know i've tried it and been with people who have done it.

On top of that, if you have an LNF Turbo SS and race against a LT1 Fbody stock for stock and legally, who cares when you win the race :)

CobaltSS

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
+1 and the arguement gets even worse with 4$+/gallon of gas and in northern states like ours that get snow. I know of guys that drive vettes and fbodys in the snow but its scary...i know i've tried it and been with people who have done it.

On top of that, if you have an LNF Turbo SS and race against a LT1 Fbody stock for stock and legally, who cares when you win the race :)

CobaltSS
not stock.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

Keep laughing, I won't be able to hear you over the rumble of the small block Chevy.

I said I had respect for the car, I came very close to buying one.

I would rather have a V8.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Keep laughing, I won't be able to hear you over the rumble of the small block Chevy.

+1. Although I really like the SS/SC Cobalt, there's no substitute for a muscle V8 sound. The SS/SC's blower whine would at least make it still fun to listen to, though.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts

+1
I'd rather have RWD, and something that actually looks good.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
No RWD/AWD, No care. Besides, the Cobalt is ugly both inside and out.
Now if this powerplant was in the Astra...

The interior is straightforward and simple. Kinda boring maybe, but not ugly.

I like the exterior of the coupe. I think it compares rather well to Civics and obviously blows away the Corolla. Mazda 3 is nicer.

Pretty amazing the way it handles. I like those comments about how saying it's a great-handling FWD car are unfair, because it's just one of the best-handling cars. Ever. Period. Nice.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts