GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All of you Cobalt hates really need to STHU with the XFE Cobalt getting the best gas mileage and the Cobalt SS tearing it up in the sport compact scene. GM is getting their stuff together: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=6871

If the Corvette caused jaws to drop, certainly the Cobalt SS heading the index will leave them on the floor. In this case, the Cobalt has found a particular sweet spot when it comes to balancing fuel economy with all-out performance. The turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec four, which has 260 bhp on tap, deserves the lion's share of the credit with its EPA city rating of 22 mpg and its highway average of 30 mpg. Remember, this is the same engine that vaulted the Solstice GXP into the top 10 over its normally aspirated sibling. But also the work done by GM's Performance Division on the car, including some heavy track time at the Nürburgring, pays huge dividends in the fun department. Not only is the car quick (0–60 in 5.5 sec.), it sticks as shown by its 0.92g on the skidpad and 72.4-mph slalom time. Throw in launch control, no-lift shifting and a range approaching 400 miles all for a sticker that's under $25,000 and you have fast and frugal defined.

Price As Tested $23,490
MPG 22 city/30 highway/26.0 average
0–60 mph 5.5 sec.
Slalom 72.4 mph
Quarter Mile 14.0 sec. @ 101.8 mph
Skidpad 0.92g
60–0-mph Braking 117 ft.
Tank Capacity 13.2 gal.
Theoretical Maximum Range 396 miles
Cost to Fill $52.80
EPA Estimated Annual Fuel Cost $2364

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Long live the Cobalt SS!

CobaltSS

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I stopped by a Chevy dealer last weekend and they said they won't get the Cobalt SS until late August. Is this true? I've seen so much press about it, you'd think it was out already.

I'm looking forward to driving this car. I drove an HHR SS with an auto (it was the only one they had) and I couldn't believe how well it handled. That bread box had balls.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2008 Cobalt SS' were already built out, it was a short production run. the 2009's I believe will be tooled after the GM shutdown and should be filtering into dealerships in august with a MUCH BIGGER supply. Mind you the 09s get the reconfig. performance display, blue tooth, and the USB plug in on top of possible Black/Gun-metal rim upgrade...

I hope Delta II retains the SS also. And the Cobalt name.

Its too bad that I graduate a year before the introduction of the next gen model when I finally get some money. But I've had 3 years of no car and driving a mom-mobile right now has me going crazy...(no pun intended to my handle on here)

this car is SICK and for the price/value/economy/performance, its the best under 25k and one of the best bang for buck period.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I cant wait to see the redesign of the Cobalt SS T/C!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I still wouldn't buy one because its design would cause me to fall asleep behind the wheel and drive off the freeway to my death.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
No RWD/AWD, No care. Besides, the Cobalt is ugly both inside and out.
Now if this powerplant was in the Astra...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I still wouldn't buy one because its design would cause me to fall asleep behind the wheel and drive off the freeway to my death.
You know how ridiculous you sound. When you are inside the car you can't see its exterior design and even those that despise the Cobalt SS's exterior design remark at how fun and exciting it is to drive.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Yes, its looks are very tiring, but that car is something that could be modified into a complete BA ride. 30mpg and 0-60 in 5.5 is ludicrous.

·
Premium Member
36,097 Posts
Somehow I figured SScrazy might have something to do with this post.

Please be advised, I'm heading down to the Chivvlay dealer ex-post-facto-pronto to trade both our junks in on Cobalts!

Uhh, except the last time I was at the dealership he had zero Cobalts and two Aveos. :think:

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
If only GM would make the Cobalt SS into a STi and Evo fighter... With XWD from Saab, the current turbocharged engine is said to be capable of producing 300 hp.. And with the Auto from the CTS-V .. it would be crazy awesome!!!!! But i would LOVE to see even more a STi/Evo fighter out of the next-gen G6 GXP sedan with the XWD, 300hp trubocharged engine, and CTS-V automatic!!! I would trade in my 08 Evo in a heat beat for a G6 with those specs!!!! If only dreams came true.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I think its a great car, it just needs a new exterior and interior because its ridiculously bland.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I read that yesterday :D pretty cool 3 GM vehicles were on that list. The Vette was near the top, which was awesome too.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts