1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
FOR RELEASE: 2008-07-08
CONTACTS
Chevrolet Cruze​
A new name and a new design for an all-new car

Detroit - Chevrolet announced today that its all-new entry in the compact segment will be called Cruze. The new Chevrolet will make its global debut at the Paris Motor Show in early October.

Cruze was developed by a global design and engineering team and will be built in multiple locations around the world. The Cruze approaches an overall length of 4.6 meters and offers ample interior space and cargo capacity for five passengers, giving it an advantage over competition in the compact segment.

The Cruze features Chevrolet's new global design language that will continue to be a signature element for future vehicles carrying the gold bowtie. Combined with high safety standards and excellent build quality, Chevrolet will again deliver on its promise of offering a very attractive package at an exceptional value.

The new Chevrolet Cruze will be available in European markets in Spring 2009, followed by other global regions

http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...ws/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=46868

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Re: Chevrolet Cruze: A new name and a new design for an all-new car

My first reaction...I don't like the name either. But maybe it will grow on me.

However, if it is farily attractive, affordable, and good on fuel...I don't care what the name is.

·
Super Moderator
10,889 Posts

I'm assuming that this will be the Cobalt's replacement then?

According to AutoBlog's write up on this - HERE - its going to be slightly larger than the Corolla. That seems like Cobalt territory to me. It also says it will be sold in "other markets" as well - and that will most likely mean the US as well. Since GM seems hell bent on consolidating its world-wide nameplates and monikers, this seems the most likely scenario.

Not sure I really like the name much - but then again, I didn't like Cobalt when it debuted.

However, wasn't "Cruze" the name of the compact SUV that GM built in Japan with Suzuki a few years back? It was based on the Sidekick I believe. If that's the case, not sure if I like the idea of recycling an old name when there are other possibilities.
My first reaction...I don't like the name either. But maybe it will grow on me.

However, if it is farily attractive, affordable, and good on fuel...I don't care what the name is.
Agreed. It can have an awful name (and I'm not saying it's an AWFUL name, just awkward at this point) and as long as it LOOKS good and DRIVES good, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Oh, for Pete's sake. Considering that cobalt is the name of an element on the periodic table, I don't see how the name would be unacceptable throughout the rest of the world.

Cruze - which isn't even a real word - is really a disappointment. Keep the stupid name the same!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is about the worst name I could have thought of...CRUZE???? Who thinks of this crap??

·
Banned
6,921 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Let the jokes begin.

Chevrolet Cruze....Crude.......Crude Quality...... Crude Design....Crude Oil (as in drinks too much of it - probably not true but somehow big gas consumption is always tied to GM) *sigh*

The only thing I can think of that was wrong with "Cobalt" was that I think somehow it resembles the German word for "Gremlin". We all know how the last car named "Gremlin" was received..........

C'mon GM, don't lay down another bunt when it comes to your small cars. Here's hoping we are impressed.

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

However, wasn't "Cruze" the name of the compact SUV that GM built in Japan with Suzuki a few years back? It was based on the Sidekick I believe. If that's the case, not sure if I like the idea of recycling an old name when there are other possibilities.

Yes. Bad idea to reuse the name, IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
It is almost exactly the same length as the current Cobalt so I assume it is its replacement. I don't really care what the name is as long as it is a class leading car with best in class fuel efficiency (not just hwy but city too) and is relatively attractive. Good safety structure, 5 head restraints, all the air bags and stability control standard is a must.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts

Yes. Bad idea to reuse the name, IMO.

Ah, that's based on the Suzuki Ignis.

I think that it's stupid to use a new name. Another unknown car that no one has ever heard of. Way to get attnetion in the market. The Cobalt name already has good recogntion in the US and isn't known elsewhere. The Cruze has no recognition anywhere. What's the point here?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Why in the hell would they change the name of the Cobalt? It makes no sense. Take the Cobalt name global!!! The Cobalt has a decent amount of brand equity here in the US, so yeah, let's throw out that name and get a new one!!! YAY!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
At least "Lacetti" has a following in Europe and elsewhere. Cruze is a bit of a bizarre and obscure choice. The Cruze sold poorly in Japan and was but one of the many failed attempts of GM at taking a stab at the Japanese market with Chevrolet (with the help of Suzuki), if memory serves.

It's not an awful name, but...

One thing to keep in mind if they ever do choose to make this Cobalt replacement a world car on par with Civic and Corolla is the pronunciation of the name - you want it to be something that rolls off of the tongue even for both English-speaking and non-English speakers, not something they avoid saying aloud. I'm not sure "Cobalt" really was ever that kind of name, with the L and T right next to one another, ending on the T consonant (which can sometimes be silent, as in bouquet).

From that angle, "Cruze" would seem to be a good choice.

Good to see that it only took 4 posts for GMI people to notice the Suzuki-Chevy Japan connection. Sasuga, GMI! ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Let the jokes begin.

Chevrolet Cruze....Crude.......Crude Quality...... Crude Design....Crude Oil (as in drinks too much of it - probably not true but somehow big gas consumption is always tied to GM) *sigh*

The only thing I can think of that was wrong with "Cobalt" was that I think somehow it resembles the German word for "Gremlin". We all know how the last car named "Gremlin" was received..........

C'mon GM, don't lay down another bunt when it comes to your small cars. Here's hoping we are impressed.
It should go over well in Mexico or to Scientologists.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I think it's about time that a major automaker named a car after one of America's finest actors - and Nicole Kidman's former husband !

BTW...The "Cruze" loaded with all options will be referred to as the "Top Gun"

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ummm....is it just me or are you all SERIOUSLY jumping the gun on the name thing???? Why do you think that GM will keep the Cruze name here in the US? They aren't calling the Aura the Saturn Insignia.....

Chances are good that they'll keep the Cobalt name. If they do decide to re-name the car (yet again) maybe they'll go back to Cavalier since they had 20 years worth of history with that name.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think it's about time that a major automaker named a car after one of America's finest actors - and Nicole Kidman's former husband !

BTW...The "Cruze" loaded with all options will be referred to as the "Top Gun"

ROFLMFAO!!! :lmao:

This should win sarcastic post of the year hands down!!!! :clap:

1 - 20 of 189 Posts