GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the weight specs on Chevy's site correct?

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/specs.htm

If so, the Cobalt is one porky car, particularly in sedan form! I can only hope they put this heft to good use & graced the car with stellar crash test performance. (or perhaps a trunk-mounted braumeister/BBQ ;-)

Here's the dirt: (Curb weight in pounds)
Cobalt Coupe - 2991
Cobalt Sedan - 3216

Civic Sedan - 2606
Corolla Sedan - 2615
Mazda 3 Sedan - 2738
Cavalier Sedan - 2676

If those stats are accurate, the weight/power ratio of the Cobalt SS Sedan is pretty much the same as the current Ecotec Cav. The base Cobalt is more in line with the old 2.2 OHV Cav!

I'm sorry to see the loss of a gallon in the fuel capacity area, too.

Cobalt - 13.0 (approx)
Civic - 13.2
Corolla - 13.2
Mazda3 - 14.5
Cavalier - 14.0

·
Registered
524 Posts
I thought I read more like 3800. 3200 lbs! My Lesabre weighed 3100 from the factory.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by T-Keith@May 26 2004, 07:37 AM
3200 lbs!  My Lesabre weighed 3100 from the factory.
Yeah - it's definitely a little crazy! If that sedan figure is accurate, it comes amazingly close to my big old 4th gen Camaro. (Which weighs in around 3300)

The Cobalt's heft won't be good for acceleration or fuel economy, so I'm really hoping the crash scores make up for it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
This extra weight is ridiculous, as the coupe is approximately 400 lbs more than the outgoing Cavalier coupe, and the sedan is 500 lbs more. There is no way that a similar engine can overcome this huge deficit. Looks like more small car sales are going elsewhere again.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
2005 Scion tC
Base price: $16,465
Engine: DOHC all-aluminum 2.4-liter in-line four with Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVTi), 163 hp/160 lb-ft
Transmission: Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic, front-wheel drive
Length by width x height: 174.0 x 69.1 x 55.7 in
Wheelbase: 106.3 in
Curb weight: 2905 lb (manual), 2970 lb (automatic)
EPA City/Hwy: 22/30 mpg (manual), 23/30 (automatic)
Safety equipment: Anti-lock four-wheel disc brakes, dual front airbags and front kneebags, four side crash beams
Major standard equipment: A/C, power windows, mirrors and doors, tilt steering wheel, 17-inch alloy wheels, fold-flat front seats, 60/40 split-fold rear seats, six-speaker premium Pioneer AM/FM/CD/MP3 sound system
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles

·
Registered
114 Posts
lol. it goes toe to toe with a freakin scion. whats your point? it's still way heavier than its declared main competitors.

GM really isn't doing anything to get rid of the old tried and true "if there's something to screw up, gm will screw it up" statement.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
YUP, and then there is the DODGE SRT. Chevy and their suit dopes will regret they did not put the 2.4 with 240 hp in this car. Typical GM suit, always behind the curve. The really sad part is this is a really nice car and the suits would just not take that extra step for the SS. A GM Suit is a GM suit, screw them all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I neglected to include the Cobalt's platform-mate in my initial post:

Saturn Ion Coupe - 2831
Saturn Ion Sedan - 2808

I was expecting the Cobalt coupe to be lighter than the Ion, given it didn't need to support "suicide doors."

More importantly, why on earth is the Cobalt sedan 400 pounds heavier than an Ion sedan? (Once again, assuming the Chevy.com figure is accurate) Can the Ion's plastic bodywork account for all of it?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I think we are a bit too fast to jump on the weight. The car isnt in production as of right now, so the weight is still not known.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by bigals87z28@May 26 2004, 11:49 PM
I think we are a bit too fast to jump on the weight. The car isnt in production as of right now, so the weight is still not known.
Believe me - I'm hoping the Cobalt sedan is really 3016 pounds, rather than 3216! Typos are always possible & that's why I started this thread.

It DOES seem definite that the Cobalt is significantly heftier than its primary competition, the Civic, 3 & Corolla. "How much" remains to be seen...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by PaleGreen@May 27 2004, 04:36 AM
I neglected to include the Cobalt's platform-mate in my initial post:

Saturn Ion Coupe - 2831
Saturn Ion Sedan - 2808

I was expecting the Cobalt coupe to be lighter than the Ion, given it didn't need to support "suicide doors."

More importantly, why on earth is the Cobalt sedan 400 pounds heavier than an Ion sedan? (Once again, assuming the Chevy.com figure is accurate) Can the Ion's plastic bodywork account for all of it?
If the website is correct, it is troubling. But I was told by the person manning the Solstice turntable at NAIAS that the Solstice would weigh 3250 lbs., which was also printed in a C&D story. I thought this was outrageous, but now all the information coming out about the Solstice puts the weight at around 2860, so hopefully the 3250 figures were wrong, and hopefully these figures for the Cobalt are wrong also. Just where would all that weight come from? That's almost as heavy as the Malibu.

Also, I didn't think that the plastic body panels really saved any weight for Saturn by the time you put up the metal space frame to support them. They are mainly there for dent and rust resistance, which is more than enough in my book.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@May 27 2004, 12:57 PM
Also, I didn't think that the plastic body panels really saved any weight for Saturn by the time you put up the metal space frame to support them. They are mainly there for dent and rust resistance, which is more than enough in my book.
good point man. i know that was the perception with the fiero... it's plastic, so it must be light. but it was a heavy little car, because the space-frame had to be beefed up.

i might have to get a new car soon, and i got to thinking that i would consider the ion (once the interior is notched up a level next year), but only because it has plastic panels. i think they go a long way to making the car a decent long-term vehicle, whereas the car otherwise is JUST competitive in its class (and not the leader by any measure). once that selling point is gone, saturn is going to have to find a new selling feature. people have come to expect a different kind of car from a different kind of company!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Cars are getting more sophisticated and complex. They're getting taller and bulkier so they can offer us the room we want.

So they get heavy, surprised?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Simple math problem.... if you add more to one side of the equation, i.e. weight, then you must add to the other side... i.e. power B)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
strike three and the game is over for gm!!!
why do i say this,well look at how many times gm screws up
the list goes on and on
the weight of this will come in handy when you go to sell it to a car crusher

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
We can't complain about weight, and then laud people like Ralph Nader for making us safer.

We can't demand 4 headrests in the rear, 7-star crash ratings, crotch and underarm airbags and expect weight to go down or stay the same.

I'm all for less weight - kill all of the Safety Nazi stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 15 2004, 01:13 AM
We can't complain about weight, and then laud people like Ralph Nader for making us safer.

We can't demand 4 headrests in the rear, 7-star crash ratings, crotch and underarm airbags and expect weight to go down or stay the same.

I'm all for less weight - kill all of the Safety Nazi stuff.
But how do you really feel about the weight. j/k B)

As long as this thing can smoke a Civic....I'll look at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts