GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, here is the link to the original article about toxic interiors:
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/asthma/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100185275&page=1

I purchased and installed a Micronair cabin filter as a result of reading this article.

Interesting to find that the Chevy Cobalt is rated to have the least toxic car interior with the G5 coming in second.
The Aveo is the most toxic small car, not surprising to anyone who ever sat in one. In fact all the Korean makes have high toxic levels.
The Impala is one of the worst in the large car category, although the Lucerne is one of the best.

Here is the link to the small car stats:
http://www.healthycar.org/vehicle.searchclass.php?getclass=Small%20Car

It would behoove GM to pay attention to this as people with allergies, such as myself, will flock to the car with the best ratings.
Volvo actually has a team devoted to testing the toxins and keeping them out of their interiors.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
OMG, this is so stupid. People have been driving cars for 100 years, and as far as I know no one has ever died from "interior toxins".

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
OMG, this is so stupid. People have been driving cars for 100 years, and as far as I know no one has ever died from "interior toxins".
To me, safety/crash ratings of a car are much more important than this. However, if there is someone with allergies or a sensitive respirtatory system, this isn't to to TOTALLY discounted. It's not about the toxins killing hundreds of people who drive the cars...it may be about something as simple as people having slight sensativities to these things.

Insignificant to some people...yes.....Stupid...Not at all.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
To me, safety/crash ratings of a car are much more important than this. However, if there is someone with allergies or a sensitive respirtatory system, this isn't to to TOTALLY discounted. It's not about the toxins killing hundreds of people who drive the cars...it may be about something as simple as people having slight sensativities to these things.

Insignificant to some people...yes.....Stupid...Not at all.
I get really tired of people being so sensetive to things, we are raising generations of sissys due to coddeling their over sensitivities! Big deal, new car smell makes you sneeze, get over it.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Sprinkling a little lead over your corn flakes every morning wouldn't kill you either, but that doesn't make it a good habit. There are a lot of reasons to avoid exposure to toxic chemicals...headaches, allergies, weakened immune system etc.
Manufacturers spend weeks tweaking the shutting sound of the glove box, so what's wrong with paying a little attention to toxins?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get really tired of people being so sensetive to things, we are raising generations of sissys due to coddeling their over sensitivities! Big deal, new car smell makes you sneeze, get over it.
It is a big deal if you have chemical allergies as some here have mentioned. I was given a Aveo loaner while my Balt was being repaired and the car actually made me feel ill.
I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, as do many other people, and this is a very important issue for us. I have to avoid anything with fragrance added to it and I have to use Organic cleaners in my apartment. Luckily I have wood floors because carpet is also a problem (formaldehyde, VOCs, etc).
Even for those without these problems its good to reduce exposure to environmental toxins as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I am really tired of people making stupid comment criticizing or making fun of a topic that may not be important to them but is important to other people.......and then getting all bent out of shape when someone makes a comment criticizing what they say. Sure, this is a message board so we are all entitled to our opinions...just remember that yours isn't the only one that matters. (see some of the other posts above mine to illustate just how 'stupid' of a topic this really is.)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm glad you feel that way. I'll be happy to come over to your home next week, and give the interior walls a nice heavy coat of lead paint. That is unless your a "sissy due to excessive coddleing."

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Think of the children!! :fall:

What you are saying is true, and all of this is meant to install fear among the public, that how the ruling class gets to control people. Fear this, fear that, the end is near!
Germ infections, Global Warming, Terrorism, Airport Security, unPATRIOT Act, etc.. All of these are nothing but a way to control you.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'm glad you feel that way. I'll be happy to come over to your home next week, and give the interior walls a nice heavy coat of lead paint. That is unless your a "sissy due to excessive coddleing."

Look, both sides of the argument have valid points.

To much exposure at once can cause some serious health problems. But, you do want to have a least little bit (if not more) of ALL of gods green earth around you at all times or most of the time. That is how everything evolves. Bacteria's and viruses suck and toxin's are dangerous sometimes (rarely). We'd all be surprised to learn what "toxins" we breath and eat everyday in everything around us.

Did you know that adolescent resistance to antibiotics are at an all time high? You know why? Because people are buying and using those stupid non-alcoholic antibacterial soaps and sterilizers on their kids.

Exposure is important to the necessary development of a healthy immune system. Maybe a lot of these people have these issues because of the lack of exposure provided to them by their over protective parents. Not all people who are over sensitive are because of parents being over protective, but most of them are.

The more we expose our immune systems to potential harms (Flu and tetanus shots, etc.) the more likely these "toxins," viruses, and bacteria wont have an impact on our living habits.

Just a thought.

Oh yeah, the CDC has been putting warnings out about the non-alcoholic anti-bacterial soaps and sterilizers and the resistance to antibiotics that will occur if used to much.

I think that is the "coddeling" that is being talked about so much here.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Did you know that adolescent resistance to antibiotics are at an all time high? You know why? Because people are buying and using those stupid non-alcoholic antibacterial soaps and sterilizers on their kids.

Exposure is important to the necessary development of a healthy immune system. Maybe a lot of these people have these issues because of the lack of exposure provided to them by their over protective parents. Not all people who are over sensitive are because of parents being over protective, but most of them are.

The more we expose our immune systems to potential harms (Flu and tetanus shots, etc.) the more likely these "toxins," viruses, and bacteria wont have an impact on our living habits.
Exactly, the immune system needs training. The last time I've seen a doctor was 4 years ago or so, and only because I had hernia which needed to be surgically patched :D

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Virii and bacteria train the immune system, not toxins. There's nothing to be gained by exposing yourself to harmful chemicals.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Virii and bacteria train the immune system, not toxins. There's nothing to be gained by exposing yourself to harmful chemicals.
Exactly.
Those are two completely different things, exposure to germs strengthens the immune system, exposure to man-made toxins is damaging to your health and the immune system has no defense against it.
I didnt get multiple chemical sensitivity because my parents shielded me from anything (I wore cologne in college), it was because of either over-exposure or some stressor caused my immune system to be over-active.
Exposing yourself to these chemicals over time does not build immunity to them, that is impossible.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Exactly, the immune system needs training. The last time I've seen a doctor was 4 years ago or so, and only because I had hernia which needed to be surgically patched :D
The immune system is not equipped to handle alot of the chemicals that man has created. Just ask the Union carbide and the people in India. There are a lot of chemicals that can alter DNA. While these chemicals may not have an immediate effect, they may cause genetic defects in offspring.

I'll admit, the likelyhood the plasticizers that leach out of the many interior components causing some form of disease or birth defects is remote, but I also think it is important that we learn and know for certain about the risk. There was a time when we, as a society, were steadfast in the belief that DDT was not harmful to humans. Through science and research we learned that it was.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Exactly.
Those are two completely different things, exposure to germs strengthens the immune system, exposure to man-made toxins is damaging to your health and the immune system has no defense against it.
I didnt get multiple chemical sensitivity because my parents shielded me from anything (I wore cologne in college), it was because of either over-exposure or some stressor caused my immune system to be over-active.
Exposing yourself to these chemicals over time does not build immunity to them, that is impossible.

Man doesn't make toxins. Toxins are out there period. You may THINK exposure to toxins is nothing but bad for you, but that is how evolution is pushed along. The human body will notice something in the environment it doesn't like and adjust its self physically (over time) to live within the limitations or threats provided. That is why we have skin, hair on our heads, an immune system, etc. Think about it for a little bit and you will understand what I am saying. It's about survival of the fittest.

Those not exposed will not be the best fit for survival. The human race is so diverse because of our different locations and threats found in those locations.

But, you know, whatever, the weak will die and the strong will continue to evolve and breed. So be it.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man doesn't make toxins. Toxins are out there period. You may THINK exposure to toxins is nothing but bad for you, but that is how evolution is pushed along. The human body will notice something in the environment it doesn't like and adjust its self physically (over time) to live within the limitations or threats provided. That is why we have skin, hair on our heads, an immune system, etc. Think about it for a little bit and you will understand what I am saying. It's about survival of the fittest.

Those not exposed will not be the best fit for survival. The human race is so diverse because of our different locations and threats found in those locations.

But, you know, whatever, the weak will die and the strong will continue to evolve and breed. So be it.
Like I said, you dont develop a resistance to man-made toxins. Eventually they build up in our systems to a toxic level, and while some can throw off the toxins better than others your system does not get stronger by being exposed to them, only weaker. Eventually your body gets so swamped with them that you end up with organ problems or cancer or severe allergies.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts