GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of talk about the Cobalt being the "Cavalier replacement" has me wondering. The more specs I see, and the more I read about Chevy trying to push the Cobalt "upscale", the more it looks to me like a Corsica/Beretta replacement. The current Cavalier has a "1SV" value package offered at almost 10,000 dollars, on an ancient "value" platform, and is much more of a cheap, plastic fantastic car compared to what I saw at the auto show. After seeing the Cobalt SS in person, I'd have to say that the dimensions, power and suggested pricing left me with the impression of a Beretta.

Sure, it may be replacing the factory lines of the Cavalier, but I'm not so sure it is replacing the Cavalier in either price, prestige, or status in the GM lineup.

What say you?

Beretta/Corsica info links:

http://www.beretta.net/model_info/1988.htm

http://members.aol.com/cycopunk/corsindex.html

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/che...berettahis.html

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/che.../145/index.html

·
Registered
481 Posts
1997-present Malibu replaced Corsica/Beretta replaced Citation replaced Nova. Technically, the current Malibu is a Nova. These cars fill the role of Chevrolet's "compact car".

Cobalt replaced Cavalier replaced Monza/Vega replaced Corvair. (Yes, I know there was no Vega or Corvair for 1970) These cars fill the role of Chevrolet's "sub-compact car".

·
Registered
244 Posts
Pricewise, the Cobalt does seem to be more in the Beretta area.

Didn't the Lumina and Impala exist in the GM catalog at the same time for awhile? What is the replacement for the Lumina? Seems the Impala took over the role for both.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For a while the lumina was a four door monte carlo, same engine offerings, same underpinnings, hell same sheet metal. No Monty/Impala since 96 for the impala and earlier for the monte lives up to its nameplate.

P.s Is anyone else sick of the 3800 SC as the only other GM Performance offering short of the L series of small blocks?
Yeah Buick 3.6tt ! :afro:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by onebadbonne@Apr 6 2004, 10:42 PM
For a while the lumina was a four door monte carlo, same engine offerings, same underpinnings, hell same sheet metal.  No Monty/Impala since 96 for the impala and earlier for the monte lives up to its nameplate. 

P.s Is anyone else sick of the 3800 SC as the only other GM Performance offering short of the L series of small blocks?
Yeah Buick 3.6tt ! :afro:
At least we have the G6's 3900 VVT engine to look forward to. But at Chevy's pace, considering the supercharged Buick Regal and Pontiac Bonneville debuts...Chevy will get the 3.9L in 2009... :rolleyes:

I suppose the Cobalt's 2.4L VVT engine will be unique to Chevy for a while though.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops, that's right, Cobalt should still get it first tho, and even the Supercharged 2.0L will be shared with Saturn. Oh well. Eventually the G6 gets the 2.4L, too, I guess....making the Malibu the only Epsilon with a NA 2.2 Ecotec?

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I would really need to see some concrete base price numbers for the Cobalt before I make some kind of judgement. I cant expect that the base 1SA Cobalt coupe or sedan, with the base 2.2 Ecotec could be that expensive. The 1SV Cavalier is a base coupe with the rebate already built in to the window sticker. The base cheap Cavalier coupe is around 13K before rebates.

The Lumina was kept around for fleet sales for a few years, like the current pre 2004 Malibu, which is being sold as the Chevrolet Classic.

The Impala replaced the Lumina in 2000, which replaced the Celebrity in 1990, the Celebrity replaced the Malibu in 1982.

The original 1990 Lumina came out from a project to make the Caprice/Impala FWD in the 1980's.

The Caprice lived through 1996, along with the Impala SS, the regular base Impala was discontinued in 1984. The Bel-Air lived through 1974 as a base model full size car.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just becuase of the size and look of it, it says cavy replacement to me. I looked at some of those links posted and was surprised to learn about the Beretta Conv. I never knew about that .

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Apr 7 2004, 11:40 AM
Oh well. Eventually the G6 gets the 2.4L, too, I guess....making the Malibu the only Epsilon with a NA 2.2 Ecotec?

I think Vectra Uses a 2.2 NA ecotec. (same as malabu) my question is when do we get the cool 1.9 CDI 150PS Ecotec's the europe vectras get. 50mpg and 150+hp chevy would sell a million of them.

JL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts