GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know, everyones feelings about CNET and their review ideals, AND this (same guy who recently did the malibu 2.4 6spd) guy found the GT average, BUT I figure you can watch w/ a grain of salt, and also not many vids of the VIBE are around, so.............................. You guys will be okay.

http://reviews.cnet.com/wagon/2009-pontiac-vibe-gt/4505-10866_7-33072866.html

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
He says the Vibe and Matrix are made on the same assembly line, which is incorrect. The Vibe is only made at NUMMI, and the Matrix is made in Canada exclusively. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong w/ the review.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have always has a soft spot for the Vibe, despite its roots, but to argue about which assembly line it comes off of, when they are virtually the same, is necessary as returning a book when one page was printed askew. My point is that this minor point has absolutely no effect on this guy's review.

Sorry to be a bit harsh, Vsd, I guess I'm just in that kind of mood.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
As one of Pontiac's biggest fans, I must say that the Vibe must die! It needs to be replaced with a fully GM built hatch. No AWD, just make it come in sporty 3 and 5 doors and have a GXP version to compete with the GTI. This would rule out the need for a G5 as well. I would like Pontiac to go back to their heritage names as well so they could name this new hatch the LeMans. GM can do this and it would re-establish the performance brand as not only having V8 engines but also turbo 4's as in the Solstice.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I got my chance in a 2009 Vibe. The switches where clunky and the interior seemed to be made of a cheaper material than normal GM cars. I'm not impressed by the looks or the overall car in any way.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I'm really starting to like this car. The look is growing on me (especially the GT). My mom has an 03 Vibe and I have to say it's neat little car. It's fun to drive, comfortable, and you can stuff a lot into it.

And does the onstar really not work? That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
You do know that the amount of money it costs to fill one's tank is a function of the size of the tank, not the size of the engine right?
Small tank, fill up more often. Cost is a function of MPG and price at the pump....the last I checked. You totally misse the (sarcastic) point. Power is not king today unless you have unlimited financial resources. Argue all you want about styling, materials, etc., point is that GM has precious few models that deliver economy AND utility. Need to hang with these until new product is in the pipeline.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As a previous GT owner... back away from the car slowly.

While it was a fun car and met my needs, the clutch is ill-mated for that engine. The clutch failed after 30k miles and I got a full refund for the cost of repairs (Clutches are not covered under warranty). GM knows there is an issue with it and admidts normal driving failures at 30k is not extraordinary with this trim level. Toyota should stick to 4-wheeled toasters and forget the faux performance market.

I cannot recommend this vehicle to anyone, and applaud GM for admitting this car is a POS to me, and doing right by the customer by way of reimbursement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Right now at our BPG dealer, the Vibe & G6 are flying off the lot. While the Vibe may be a POS to many people, it is bringing sales to a dealership that would otherwise not be moving much at all.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
not a bad review but CNET should really stick to electronics reviews (they are really good at that) and stay out of car reviews. Overall though other than the error about where the vibe and matrix are assembled it seemed to be a balanced review IMO

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It could get 35 mpg but I'll say what someone told me the first time they saw the Prius - "I just can't get past the ugly factor". I didn't mind the first Vibe (owned one) or even the MCE but this one is simply disgusting looking - looks way worse in person than it does in pictures!!

As for the review. not bad but stick to electronics and computers. Motor Trend doesn't review ipods and stereo systems!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I got my chance in a 2009 Vibe. The switches where clunky and the interior seemed to be made of a cheaper material than normal GM cars. I'm not impressed by the looks or the overall car in any way.
I agree with that sentiment 100%. The exterior styling is bloated and ugly, just like the Toyota it is, and the interior looks and screams rental car cheap .At least the last gen Vibe looked different enough to the Matrix to be passable.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You do know that the amount of money it costs to fill one's tank is a function of the size of the tank, not the size of the engine right?
And the larger, more powerful and thirstier engines need a bigger (what?) _____ to put more of (what?) ______ so that they can get down the road in a comparable number of miles?

·
Registered
998 Posts
GM knows there is an issue with it and admidts normal driving failures at 30k is not extraordinary with this trim level
I'm sorry, GM isn't accountable for the engineering of the car, only the styling (of their version) and badging.

Somewhat, but at least the textures are right.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'm really starting to like this car. The look is growing on me (especially the GT). My mom has an 03 Vibe and I have to say it's neat little car. It's fun to drive, comfortable, and you can stuff a lot into it.

And does the onstar really not work? That's ridiculous.
That's a pretty decent shot of it. Other than the prius-like sloping roof near the back that takes away space and doesn't add to the looks imo, I'd consider one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT and I love it. It replaced my gas-hog 2001 Sonoma Crew Cab. The Vibe is fun to drive, economical, and holds tons of stuff. The best part? I am 6'4" tall and I have head room to spare! I rarely fit in even large cars.

Is the Vibe ugly? Yeah, I think it is pretty ugly, but I'm not out to impress anyone.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I own a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT and I love it. It replaced my gas-hog 2001 Sonoma Crew Cab. The Vibe is fun to drive, economical, and holds tons of stuff. The best part? I am 6'4" tall and I have head room to spare! I rarely fit in even large cars.

Is the Vibe ugly? Yeah, I think it is pretty ugly, but I'm not out to impress anyone.
Congratulations, i don't find the car ugly, but I do dislike the rear styling if I were to complain. I owned a 2003 Vibe GT, and loved it, minus the buzzy rattly interior.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts