1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CNBC's "Saving GM" gets thumbs up from Lutz

Posted Aug 8th 2008 1:29PM by Chris Shunk

Filed under: GM, Earnings/Financials

There has been a lot said about GM in the wake of tough market conditions and the Detroit Automaker's $15.5B Q2 loss. As you can imagine, a lot of the talk isn't upbeat. GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz seems to think much of the discussion surrounding the General is nothing more than speculation and uninformed bias, but then again Maximum Bob's got a bit of a pro-GM bias of his own. So you can imagine that Blogger Bob was interested to see an hour long special called Saving GM, which recently aired on CNBC. Mr. Lutz' assessment of the piece? He thought it was fair and unbiased, and it touched on the good and bad of GM over the past few years in an honest way. Lutz said he liked that the documentary concluded that GM needs the public to think "smash hit vehicle from GM" and think of "cars in showrooms, not museums."

We haven't seen the hour long special Saving GM, so we reserve judgment as to whether or not it was fair, but we've heard from a few people it's worth a watch. Saving GM will re-air on CNBC on August 10 at 10 pm ET, so set your TiVo. You can also read more about here at the CNBC website if you need more convincing.

[Source: GM Fast Lane Blog, CNBC]

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/08/cnbcs-saving-gm-gets-thumbs-up-from-lutz/

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I was expecting a gloom and doom show about the decent of GM into the abyss. I was glad to see it was objective and fair highlighting their challenges and accomplishments. Better than what I expected! ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure if "Saving GM" was the right title. It was more of a look into what GM's good at and bad at, and showed people that we're still in the game, no matter how bad our financial troubles are. Unless the documentary in itself was an effort to save GM.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Of course he's happy with it- he never got any flack. Rick got a few questions to make him sweat, but it was nothing the he couldn't smooth over either. How about a Q&A session with them to see what they're planning to fix the situation? We'll see if they like that!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I watched it, and while it wasn't a "puff piece" it was close. Having said that, it appears GM's market approach in China, three brands and dedication to stay ahead of the competition, is much better than the one they are pursuing in the US.

·
Registered
44,433 Posts
Of course he's happy with it.
The darn "documentary" was a puff piece!!

And while the show focused on Malibu, Enclave, and CTS as GM's successes... well.... that's all teh show could focus on because THOSE ARE THE ONLY SUCCESSES!!!

Stupid show.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Thats 3 more hits then they have had in the last decade.
There are other hits, but most are low volume, high feature halo cars such as Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice, Corvette's fame for 50 years,

The Malibu and CTS are two cars that are cutting deep into segmetns that previously GM has failed flat on its face. After years of promises, they finally made a cut into the Midsized family sedan, and the mid sized luxury sedan segments.
The Enclave is just a beautiful design, something that hasnt been seen from Buick since.......boat tail Riv?

·
Registered
44,433 Posts
Thats 3 more hits then they have had in the last decade.
There are other hits, but most are low volume, high feature halo cars such as Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice, Corvette's fame for 50 years,

The Malibu and CTS are two cars that are cutting deep into segmetns that previously GM has failed flat on its face. After years of promises, they finally made a cut into the Midsized family sedan, and the mid sized luxury sedan segments.
The Enclave is just a beautiful design, something that hasnt been seen from Buick since.......boat tail Riv?
And remember GM was "surprised" by Enclave too.
But out of GM's worldwide lineup... they only got 3 "decent" cars? And only 2 of them are "global" cars!!
I don't count the Kappas and Corvette. They are great cars, but Kappa is still flawed and in need of an MCE soon.

Malibu, CTS, and Enclave are not enough to support GM.
That's what it all boils down to. GM need 3x more hits in order to even get recognition out there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I thought the special was great. It showed that GM has its fair share of successes (China) as well as its failures (USA). It's amazing Wagoner hasn't been fired by now though. The man just exudes incompetence in every interview piece and highlight reel.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Of course he's happy with it.
The darn "documentary" was a puff piece!!

And while the show focused on Malibu, Enclave, and CTS as GM's successes... well.... that's all teh show could focus on because THOSE ARE THE ONLY SUCCESSES!!!

Stupid show.
Dude. This may come as a severe shock and bad news to you, but no, GM is not going BK, and yes, they do have the best lineup in the industry.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I watched it last night and while I wouldn't go as far as mgescuro calling it a "puff piece" Rick Wagonner was let off the hook fairly easily. What caught me off guard and surprised me was Ed Welburn when asked if the Camaro took too long to get to market. First he said they had to make sure it was right, which I'm glad about, but then when asked if it would be a hit, he said on styling, it's right, but you can't guess the market all the time. I was like, what? don't say that outloud to the media!!

I was happy with the Volt coverage though. It seemed positive and I agree with the pundant that basically said if they screw this up, with all the hype GM has put on it, GM is done.

·
Registered
842 Posts
CNBC will repeat this as they do with many of their specials. Check their website for the next showing.

I liked it, especially for the old commercials they used between segments at ad breaks.But then it was a documentary about automobiles and auto news and there is a dearth of regular TV reporting about the business beyond the sound bytes and 60 second reports of falling SUV sales on the evening news.

But we WILL have weekend box office receipts reported and the latest Hollywood bimbo pregnancy report and yet another pervert sting.......

As such it was a welcome hour about automobiles. No deep dive into GM's troubles but an interesting report. The Lutz interview parts made me gag, especially about being such a car guy and getting out there and actually driving the automobiles in his collection.

Wonder if he's ever put an Aveo through it's paces ..........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts