GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I was just about to post this. I think that's awesome they got someone like Jr. to give handeling input. After all, he should know a thing or two about it!!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I Love This Car!!!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I'm still having probs with the greenhouse.
I feel it is too flat and the a pillar is too thick, and the the top of the window glass is parallel to the ground. Not saying I wouldn't buy on, but it seems a bit "hot rod custom" and less production to me.

not sure I like the the 'historic" feel and older camaro and chevell comments. That's not what I want. I want a refined ponycar/Grand tourer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Win a roadcourse, and then I may value JR's opinion. As long as it tops Mushtang and Challenged(which it will), they have a winner.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
GM needs more people like Ed Welburn in charge of design. He showed us how to make an SUV like the Acadia exciting and original. It's obviously in his blood to create the right look. He knows what it takes to make a winner. Ed is a big hero in my book. He knows Detroit iron and how it should look. Ed wants each model to make a design statement of purpose and function. I would love to talk with him about the Buick Electra 225. He would probably tell me it's better off forgotten, but deep inside he knows that it was the King of Woodward.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I feel it is too flat and the a pillar is too thick, and the the top of the window glass is parallel to the ground. Not saying I wouldn't buy on, but it seems a bit "hot rod custom" and less production to me.

not sure I like the the 'historic" feel and older camaro and chevell comments. That's not what I want. I want a refined ponycar/Grand tourer.
So basically you want the Holden Monaro GTO rebadge. That really sold well for GM... Fact is most of the cars customers WANT the car to feel like an old car. I know I do and I will be buying one of these retro ponycars. Also I don't think you fully understand a pony car. They aren't supposed to be refined in any way. They're supposed to be raw, overpowered, aggressively styled, and feel like you just uncaged an enraged bear when you mash the gas. Pony cars are not grand tourers and nor should they be.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Win a roadcourse, and then I may value JR's opinion. As long as it tops Mushtang and Challenged(which it will), they have a winner.
With all due respect, they have a guy who loves Comaro's, a loyal Chev/GM supporter, is a race car driver who can test it to near the limits, and can provide a good honest feedback on what the vehicle is like. Seems like a good person to take it for a drive.

Guess this helps explain what else Jr was doing down in Aussie land late last year. The "remote location" is Holden's testing ground and maybe a little bit of remote country road driving. Am assuming Marcos Ambrose was not invited :).

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Just another reason why I believe that the new Camaro will be class leading.
Expert input just improves the breed, and cannot be overlooked.
Can't wait to find out all the details this Monday.

·
Registered
937 Posts
So basically you want the Holden Monaro GTO rebadge. That really sold well for GM... Fact is most of the cars customers WANT the car to feel like an old car. I know I do and I will be buying one of these retro ponycars. Also I don't think you fully understand a pony car. They aren't supposed to be refined in any way. They're supposed to be raw, overpowered, aggressively styled, and feel like you just uncaged an enraged bear when you mash the gas. Pony cars are not grand tourers and nor should they be.
Most performance Camaro lovers like the overpowered, aggressive styling, but in reality like all previous Camaros the base model outsold by a a wide margin the Z28s, SS, and RS/SS models. Most of the new Camaros sold will be the LS or LT models not the high performance SS model. Same with the Corvette. The base model corvette far outsells the current Zo6. Its important to have the high performance Camaro but again most of what you will see on the street will be the 3.6 V6 models.

·
Registered
956 Posts
So basically you want the Holden Monaro GTO rebadge. That really sold well for GM...
Its too bad people were so close minded about that car. Check out any of the boards, people who own them love them and I know even the magazine rags were impressed by ride, comfort and power. Pretty good sleepers I would say...

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I want a refined ponycar/Grand tourer.
That's roughly what the Monte Carlo was (okay....the orig. 6ft hood made it too big to be a pony car, but still.....). I say after hearing about how flexible the Zeta architecture is, GM should at least commission a Monte Carlo design study......if it doesn't work, they can wash their hands of it, if it does....you just might get your wish

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice!! Good person to have drive it too......

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Good idea piss everyone off who doesn't worship Jr.... :lmao: Guess they weren't trying to toss the mullet image, were they? Wooooo eeeee, yeee hawww go NASCAR.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Good idea piss everyone off who doesn't worship Jr.... :lmao: Guess they weren't trying to toss the mullet image, were they? Wooooo eeeee, yeee hawww go NASCAR.
That's exactly what I thought as soon as I read the thread title. noooooooo. GM has tried to get rid of the trailer park, gas guzzling, mullet image of the Camaro's past by telling everyone that it isn't the car of old and they are not marketing it as a V8 muscle car. Then they intentionally go and tie it in with Nascar.

Everytime I think GM is finally getting it they pull something like this that shows me they still do not know how to direct this massive ship. Maybe a few people will be fooled into thinking that they are doing it for the sole purpose of building a great handling car. The problem is that most people know they have tons of people, including many engineers, that have a much better grasp on setting up a production suspension that will be driven on a rough roads and 99% of the time no where near the limit so this Nascar tie-in will be seen as adding to the negative image instead of creating more and more distance.

·
Premium Member
34,369 Posts
I do not think of Nascar or its stars as hot. They just do not do it for me. Plus, I hate how those families control the sport. Its some sort of Nascar Feudal lords

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Dale Jr was the perfect person to get insight from, you haters are just that haters!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thankfully I don't have to imagine a screaming chevy small block V8 with this vid! :drive:

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts

The problem with those types of comments is that they're easy to take in a multitude of ways. I think what he means is that it's a kick in the pants when you hit the throttle. I doubt it'll handle like a Chevelle. Not on Zeta, it won't. And when you see it at the 'ring you can see it handles well.

Besides, GM isn't going to build a Camaro that handles like something from the 60s, they're not nuts. But they do want to recapture that raw power. It can be refined in handling, fit and finish, etc. and still be raw. That's what I'm hoping for. Something raw and powerful that handles and connects you to the road.

We'll find out soon enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts