GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really getting sick of my moms Impala, it has way too many problems for the miles on it.

Now shes has a couple noises that worry her. I took it for a drive yesterday to see what was going on.

First, when you go over a speed bump, there is a keerchunk noise from the right front. I believe this to bee a worn out rubber bushing on the A-arm. The main frame assembly is aluminum, which makes it nice to work in a rust free environment, but the arm appears to be stamped steal, feels very cheap, and I think it's cooked.

The noise I am more worried about is speed related, starts at maybe 40km/h, and gets worse with speed. It is a whirring/whining/humming. I would have thought exhaust, but the whole system is brand new. Then I thought tire noise, but it did it with the old worn tires, and with the new Good years as well. I then ruled out bad exhaust installation by getting up to speed then putting it in neutral. When the engine goes back to idle, it doesn't change, but gets progressively quieter as the car coasts slower and slower. I was on an open road, so I coasted to a stop, and it really appears to be speed related.

When I got home, I thought maybe a bad bearing, but when I jacked it up, the tire doesn't move side to side or top to bottom, liek my Intrepid did when it was bad.

The only thing left that moves is the CV shaft. THe boot looks fine, and usually a worn boot would let water in and damage things, so I just don't know.

Shes got a rental Impala for a while because I won't let her drive it after I experienced the noise.

I'm open to any ideas, I can change any parts that need changing, that's no problem, only thing I can't do is weld, because I don't have one.

I already priced a new CV shaft and Crappy tire has them in for $130 if need be.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
What is cheap about a stamped steel control arm??? I don't follow???

Anyways, likely a seperated lower control arm bushing...based on your 1st complaint.

Could be a wheel bearing??? I thought I had the same issue on my Park Avenue and after replacing both front bearings I saw that I had two torn out transmission mounts!!!!!

Try driving the car up to about 40-50 k/mh...then pop into neutral & rev the engine...rule out a belt driven accessory...

Short of hearing it in person, all I can do is guess! Sorry!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would make a lot of sense, It looks like something I can change ina couple hours in the driveway if need be, but I'm kind of worried about what that's going to cost. I'm getting kind of sick with how much I am working on her car now. Wish I could talk her into a new Malibu.... She likes the size of her Impala but says she doesn't like the new Impala she has for a rental. She is basically of the same opinion as me about the crap interior in both her 01 and the new gen. Claims the 08 she has feels like the steering has no connection to the road at all, too floaty.

Time will tell, but I'll take another look tomorrow, and then call CT and NAPA and get a couple scary quotes... haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts