GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week, I found myself in "defensive driving" situations ... one worked out very well, the other almost ended not so well....

The first, the one that almost ended up badly, happened en route to work. I was on a 4-lane road in Schaumburg in the right-hand lane, which was full of cars waiting to turn right (myself included). We were moving, but not at the speed limit. I noticed that the car behind me darted into the left-hand lane, but thought nothing of it, because I thought the driver was going to be turning left at the upcoming intersection. I was wrong. Instead, the driver apparently realized I was going slow because of the line in front of me. Before I knew it, he had darted back into the right-hand lane right in front of me. All I could do to avoid an accident was slam on my brakes ... and hope for the best. Unfortunately, the pavement was still damp that morning and my car skidded. I kept control of it and narrowly avoided a collision.

The second happened en route to work on a 4-lane road within Elgin's city limits. I was in the left lane and a huge Ford SUV was in the right lane. We were approaching an intersection notorious for people trying to dart out into traffic to cross or turn left ... because the intersection has no lights ... just stop signs for the cross, 2-lane street. I happened to notice that the Ford was turning right and spotted, out of the corner of my eye, a Honda minivan inching its way out from the street on the right-hand side. Instinctively, I slowed down because I knew the minivan driver could not see my '87 MC LS due to the Ford SUV. Sure enough, the minivan darted out ... directly in front of me. Had I not anticipated that and kept going the speed limit, I would've T-boned the minivan, no doubt. You should've seen the minivan driver's look of horror when she realized I was in the other lane coming right at her....

I was shaking after the first incident ... because I felt I could've/should've anticipated what was to happen and slowed down to avoid having to slam on the brakes. I was also pissed at the other driver.... Yet, at the same time, I didn't shake at all at the second incident ... because I anticipated, evaluated the situation, and took appropriate action before anything took place.... And, I wasn't pissed at that driver ... I knew it was an honest mistake because of the limited view. I was, however, a bit annoyed, realizing that we were both lucky I took the action I did ... otherwise, well, I don't want to think about what would've been inevitable....

Anyone else have any "close calls" recently?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'm not fine" ... Sister Hazel ... 'You're Mistake'

·
Premium Member
36,739 Posts
What you are doing is using/refining/developing preactions rather than depending on reactions.

Preactions involve paying attention, concentrating, and reading and understanding other vehicles' body language and anticipating what their drivers are going to do or not do.

They save much metal, rubber, and adrenaline.

Preactions are Olde Neanderthal Ways. :yup:

·
Premium Member
36,739 Posts
Everyone has close calls, most end well, some don't, but such is life, really nothing to write home about.
Easy for you to say, you have the MAD Magazine Poiuyt on your side.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Man... Glad to hear everything turned out O.K. Just imagine if the position you were in were occupied by somebody on their cell phone, or dealing with kids, etc. They would have most likely ended in accidents. It is nice to hear that they are other people on the road that actually pay attention, because fewer and fewer drivers these days do so.

Again, good to hear that everything actually turned out O.K.!

-Chase

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
This reminds me of something I saw on the Discovery Channel a few days ago. In either instance, did time seem to slow down? Apparently our brains can play this neat trick when we sense danger. It can process images up to twice as fast as the normal rate, giving the impression that time is proceeding slower. I've noticed it happen to me a few times, mostly on the road.

·
Premium Member
36,739 Posts
This reminds me of something I saw on the Discovery Channel a few days ago. In either instance, did time seem to slow down? Apparently our brains can play this neat trick when we sense danger. It can process images up to twice as fast as the normal rate, giving the impression that time is proceeding slower. I've noticed it happen to me a few times, mostly on the road.
Time seems to slow down to slow-mo whenever I watch Bruce Lee movies or Kung Fu reruns.
Weird...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
And, I wasn't pissed at that driver ... I knew it was an honest mistake because of the limited view. I was, however, a bit annoyed, realizing that we were both lucky I took the action I did ... otherwise, well, I don't want to think about what would've been inevitable....
If I read your post correctly, no one could blame you if you did get mad at the minivan driver, because they didn't turn into the right-most lane, which is what they should have done. Or is Illinois screwy and they don't require turning into the closest lane?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I had a fender bender in the exact same way as your minivan example when I was about 17. I was behind and to the left of a vehicle that was in the right lane and a girl my age turned right on a red light and got into my lane because she though it was open. I slammed on my brakes and just barely tapped her. I was in my mom's Cutlass Ciera and at the time I didn't see any damage, but after I got home I realized it cracked the plastic on the turn signal.

I have had two completely unwarranted close calls in traffic in the last month. My truck is big and slow, which is why I hardly ever drive it, but when I do I usually drive in the right two lanes and do the speed limit. While on Interstate 5 in Anaheim on the way to work, the right lane, which was exiting, was moving about 10-15mph faster than the rest of traffic, so I was passing cars. A guy in a Tahoe just merged over, obviously without looking, and I had to swerve into the shoulder to avoid us meeting front fender to front fender.

The second close call was similar, in my POS truck in the right lane on 57 north between 10 and 210 and a guy in a Mustang changed lanes without signaling and would have hit me had I not hit the brakes and the horn.

In both cases I was probably in their blind spot, but they should have looked over their shoulder.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In either instance, did time seem to slow down? Apparently our brains can play this neat trick when we sense danger.
Let's see ... in the first case, where I ended up skidding, time didn't slow down. In fact, it seemed to speed up because I was shocked at what I was seeing ... and having to do to avoid hitting the other car.

In the second case, however, holy crap, yes it DID seem to slow down. From the moment the SUV on my right put on its blinker to turn right, to the moment I initially saw the minivan front inching out was a split second. After that, my slowing down to watching the minivan dart out in front of me ... seemed to take an ETERNITY. It was, actually, kinda weird.

If I read your post correctly, no one could blame you if you did get mad at the minivan driver, because they didn't turn into the right-most lane, which is what they should have done. Or is Illinois screwy and they don't require turning into the closest lane?
No, Illinois does require that ... not that it is watched closely/ticketed all that often.

BUT ... she didn't turn right ... she was turning left onto the road I was on from the road to my right ... the same road the SUV was turning right onto. Sorry ... I didn't explain it that well originally :(.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'm not scared now" ... Seether ... 'Fine Again'

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.