GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to clean the MAF on my dads 2002 Suburban. Yesterday I took a look at it and couldn't figure out how to get to it, and how to unplug the connector into it. Any help?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Mass Airflow Sensor/Intake Air Temperature Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure

Important: Take care when handling the mass air flow/intake air temperature (MAF/IAT) sensor. Do not dent, puncture, or otherwise damage the honeycell located at the air inlet end of the MAF/IAT. Do not touch the sensing elements or allow anything including cleaning solvents and lubricants to come in contact with them. Use a small amount of a non-silicone based lubricant, on the air duct only, to aid in installation. Do not drop or roughly handle the MAF/IAT sensor.

1. <LI type=1>Remove air intake resonator. Refer to Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement . <LI type=1>Disconnect the MAF/IAT sensor electrical connector. <LI type=1>Loosen the clamp securing the MAF/IAT sensor to the air cleaner housing.
  2. Remove the MAF/IAT sensor from the air cleaner assembly.
Installation Procedure

Important:: The embossed arrow on the MAF/IAT sensor indicates the proper air flow direction. The arrow must point toward the engine.

1. <LI type=1>Locate the air flow direction arrow (2) on the MAF/IAT sensor.

<LI type=1>Install the MAF/IAT sensor on to the air cleaner housing. <LI type=1>Tighten the clamp securing the MAF/IAT sensor to the air cleaner housing. <LI type=1>Connect the MAF/IAT electrical connector.
  2. Install air intake resonator. Refer to Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement .

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Loosen the clamp and separate the duct at the mass air flow/intake air temperature (MAF/IAT) sensor. <LI type=1>Loosen the clamp and separate the duct at the throttle body. <LI type=1>Remove the radiator inlet hose clip from the duct.
  2. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
Installation Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Install the air cleaner outlet duct to the throttle body and MAF/IAT sensor. <LI type=1>Tighten the clamps at the throttle body and the MAF/IAT sensor.
  2. Install the radiator inlet hose clip to the duct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mass Airflow Sensor/Intake Air Temperature Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure

Important: Take care when handling the mass air flow sensor/intake air temperature (MAF/IAT) sensor. Do not dent, puncture, or otherwise damage the honeycell located at the air inlet end of the MAF/IAT. Do not touch the sensing elements or allow anything including cleaning solvents and lubricants to come in contact with them. Use a small amount of a non-silicone based lubricant, on the air duct only, to aid in installation. Do not drop or roughly handle the MAF/IAT sensor.

1. <LI type=1>Remove air intake resonator. Refer to Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement . <LI type=1>Disconnect the MAF/IAT sensor electrical connector. <LI type=1>Loosen the clamp securing the MAF/IAT sensor to the air cleaner housing.

1. Hello there, This procedure was a big help for my cousin. I am helping him to clean his MAF, i have copied the procedures that you have posted here and gave it to him. Probably that will make his work a lot easier.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I've used rubbing alcohol on a Q tip though during my last auto parts store trip I've seen a spray for it

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
during my last auto parts store trip I've seen a spray for it
I've used that (in a red can; made by CRC) with success. Electronics cleaner will work fine as well.

BTW...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.