GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Dealer Opens E85 Station

CleanFUEL Distribution and General Motors held a grand opening event for a new E85 fueling station in Grapevine, Texas owned by Classic Chevy/Hummer. Over 3,200 gallons of E85 sold for 85 cents per gallon this morning to celebrate the opening.

Classic Chevrolet/HUMMER spent more than $500,000 to install nine pumps dedicated to E85, E10 and biodiesel at its new Classic Clean Fuels station.

In 2007, the Hummer dealership sold more Chevrolet trucks than any dealership within the United States. Charles Martin, general manager of Classic Chevrolet/Hummer said, “We sell a lot of trucks capable of running on alternative fuels like E85 and, even though there has been some increased availability, we saw a need for more E85 pumps where drivers could fill up. This was the right thing for us to do for our customers and it’s good for the Metroplex.”

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
I will now have to go check that out when I go home. That place is huge and is just down the street from my house. Thats even the place where I bought my Saturn. I'm glad that Classic is being proactive about the energy issue. My mom's next car is going to be a diesel Mercedes GL so she can go here and fill up on the cheaper biodiesesl as well... Does it sound like I love Classic Chevrolet yet... :D

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
called it! this needs to be widespread.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Well an introductory rate to draw customers is always the idea.
Agreed, but i think the intention was a joke on technicalities.

called it! this needs to be widespread.
I agree 100%. If all GM dealerships did this the the image of GM being green would improve dramatically at a rapid pace. Toyota might even have a hard time competing. This would also allow many non-GM owners to view the new products (free advertising). And, this would help create many more refueling stations across the country. If every GM dealership did this GM would be praised tremendously by the press and consumers for their efforts to provide a resource that is hard to come by; and an environmentally friendly one to boot.

Oh yeah, it will also give GM another source of revenues.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Agreed, but i think the intention was a joke on technicalities.

I agree 100%. If all GM dealerships did this the the image of GM being green would improve dramatically at a rapid pace. Toyota might even have a hard time competing. This would also allow many non-GM owners to view the new products (free advertising). And, this would help create many more refueling stations across the country. If every GM dealership did this GM would be praised tremendously by the press and consumers for their efforts to provide a resource that is hard to come by; and an environmentally friendly one to boot.

Oh yeah, it will also give GM another source of revenues.

As log as they are only the reseller. I don't want my fuel for my car to come from the makers of that car. To many ways they can play with the price.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I wonder what the dealership paid per gallon. Sounds like a very clever loss-leader to me, which is fine.
with the amount of business they run through their Chevy store (they also have a Hummer store, Mazda, Lincoln-Mercury, and others i can't recall at the moment) i don't think they're hurting. the free advertising they got on the TV and radio news makes up for it, i'm sure. what a brilliant move for them though, a green fuel station. genius.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
As log as they are only the reseller. I don't want my fuel for my car to come from the makers of that car. To many ways they can play with the price.
yeah, they can play with the price, but they cant that much. noone will buy ethanol if it is not priced correctly- there is zero reason to for most consumers (which is to save money). gm is forced to keep the price low if they plan on selling any ethanol to consumers.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
yeah, they can play with the price, but they cant that much. noone will buy ethanol if it is not priced correctly- there is zero reason to for most consumers (which is to save money). gm is forced to keep the price low if they plan on selling any ethanol to consumers.
And to add to that, the U.S Government did something right and put restrictions on gas price differentials for certain areas and they also restrict the amount of profits that everyone can make (on the distributor side at least).

Remember hearing about some gas stations being fined by the government for prices that were much much lower than the competitors in their area? I do.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
$500,000 dollars to install the pumps and equipment! This dealer is going out on a limb for this, I hope it works well for them. Its nice to see a a brand like Hummer that is usually looked at as being very unenviromentally friendly to put a "natural" fuel station in! In reality, it should be good PR for Hummer!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Once again if the oil companies won't put in E85, you can count on the dealers. This is a vital first step to breaking the "chicken and egg problem" with new fuels.

·
Registered
169 Posts
$500,000 dollars to install the pumps and equipment! This dealer is going out on a limb for this, I hope it works well for them. Its nice to see a a brand like Hummer that is usually looked at as being very unenviromentally friendly to put a "natural" fuel station in! In reality, it should be good Page Ranking for Hummer!

$500,000 is a fraction of the advertising budget for a Large dealer like Classic. Just the free press alone has paid for itself. keep in mind also GM does not deliver cars full of fuel. It's the dealers responsibility to fill them up upon delivery if they save the typical $0.50 per gallon and they deliver 200 E85 capable cars/Trucks/SUV's each month. at 20 gallons per (or $10 a delivery). (If my math is right) and that's without a SINGLE retail customer purchasing fuel.

not to mention the savings they receive on their loaners, service vehicles, demos of not having to pay retail to fill them up. so I'm gonna assume the savings is closer to $1.00 a gallon or $20 per car. so $4000 a month 10.5 years it's paid for itself and the amount of sales generated by the knowledge will help the cause. gamble. not in the least, brilliant more like it.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I drove by the station before it opened. The price on the pump for E85 was $2.71 per gallon. I bought my Aveo from Classic, and often stop to talk to the sales staff there. I headed down to check out the station and test drove the new Tahoe 2 mode Hybrid (made a report in the section of the chevy forum where I could open new threads), as well as inquired on a flex fuel Malibu. Since there is no flex fuel Malibu, I'm considering buying a 2LT Impala so I can get both the flex fuel and the AFM. I need to get a couple of higher priorities squared away first, however. I applaud Classic for doing this. I hope that other dealerhsips (James Wood, are you reading this?) will follow suit.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I drove by the station before it opened. The price on the pump for E85 was $2.71 per gallon. I bought my Aveo from Classic, and often stop to talk to the sales staff there. I headed down to check out the station and test drove the new Tahoe 2 mode Hybrid (made a report in the section of the chevy forum where I could open new threads), as well as inquired on a flex fuel Malibu. Since there is no flex fuel Malibu, I'm considering buying a 2LT Impala so I can get both the flex fuel and the AFM. I need to get a couple of higher priorities squared away first, however. I applaud Classic for doing this. I hope that other dealerhsips (James Wood, are you reading this?) will follow suit.
Ah, Paradise Texas. I knew I've heard of that city from somewhere and now that I know where it is, I know why. Thats one of the multitude of cities that I drive through on my treks to college and home on the good ol' 114. If you ever see a bright blue 06 Vue come screaming by, thats me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts