GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or so I was told in the Canadian Tire parking lot.

I was parked next to a guy in an early 90's Civic. It was the 2 door hatch version, the version with the rounder nose, not the CRX style.

Anyway, it was a nice looking car, perfect condition, new paint, body kit, but not riced out like most older Civics. I was intrigued so we got to talking and then I realized the car may not be rice, but the driver sure had the attitude.

So I asked what he had under the hood and I get the "Type R motor from Japan", I never saw it, but it sounded well tuned, then came the fun part.

"Yea man, I just got some new Billstein struts for it too man, I took it to the track and it was 3 seconds faster than a 911." "It's 400 pounds lighter than stock too, I replaced the stock seats and took out the spare tire"

"I was thinking about flying it to Germany and seeing how fast it is as the 'Ring".

I just said right on, went in and got my wax and went home. Provided me with lots of entertainment for the afternoon though.

On a side note, those musta been some heavy ass seats and a spare from a 747 to weigh 400 pounds :lmao:

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
There are plenty of quick Civics out there, but once they get into the 11s they start breaking stuff left and right. On the other hand one can get a Turbo Buick into the low 12s with some 10 gauge wire, 100 octane gas, test-pipe and a piece of all-thread. Reliably I might add...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are plenty of quick Civics out there, but once they get into the 11s they start breaking stuff left and right. On the other hand one can get a Turbo Buick into the low 12s with some 10 gauge wire, 100 octane gas, test-pipe and a piece of all-thread. Reliably I might add...
I'd bet my left nut this Civic wasn't faster than a 911 unless it had 3 flat tires and a seized turbo.

On a side note, I must ask, what does the wire and all thread do?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Oh jeez not another one of these. Had somebody telling me that they can beat most anything on the road with a DSM. Thinks it is cool because it has a torbo and really stiff engine mounts. But I guess you can make anything fast if the body is made of tin foil. And get this, the kid said it never gets above 20 miles to the gallon even on the highway. Give me most any 1993-2002 V8 Camaro then we will see the truth. Kids. Not to mantion a Camaro can get about 24-26 miles to the gallon on the highway.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The suspense is killing me!! What kind of wax did you get? I've been using Eagle1 Nano wax for a couple of years and I like it. :yup:

And that guy is a Tard! He is not taking it to the Ring. ALL of the Honda Civic engines come from Japan. :rolleyes: And where did he get "3 seconds faster than a 911"? Did he race one on a track? It was probably a quick car, but just what 911 is he talking about? There's lots of different kinds new and old...the old ones weren't always all that fast.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
The Civic may not be faster than a 911, but I bet this Volvo is
That was COOL! Over 180mph and it did get smoked...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'd bet my left nut this Civic wasn't faster than a 911 unless it had 3 flat tires and a seized turbo.

On a side note, I must ask, what does the wire and all thread do?

Did he say what year 911? He might have raced a POS early-80's version that was seriously out of tune.

If it was a newer 911, I wonder if the driver knew he was racing the Civic.

5,934 Posts
I dunno. I agree, some of those Civics can be fast. I was at MAM a few weeks ago and this guy had a Civic with the K20 engine, I believe. He was posting some of the fastest times out there. He had removed the seats and other stuff adding weight. Part of it was his skill, he was fearless on the track. I talked with him abit about his line, he was driving very hard.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The suspense is killing me!! What kind of wax did you get? I've been using Eagle1 Nano wax for a couple of years and I like it. :yup:

And that guy is a Tard! He is not taking it to the Ring. ALL of the Honda Civic engines come from Japan. :rolleyes: And where did he get "3 seconds faster than a 911"? Did he race one on a track? It was probably a quick car, but just what 911 is he talking about? There's lots of different kinds new and old...the old ones weren't always all that fast.
We have a track here that you can pay a few bucks and run around a few laps. I think an average car will run it in about 1:40. Not very big.

Never said what it was for a 911, but I'm doubtful the Porsche was doing anything but warming the engine up if he did beat it....

I know there are a few 500 horse Civics that drag race, but I think he would have mentioned it was that powerful, he just called it a "Type R". FWR, it just had narrow 17 inch rims on it.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
A stock Civic will beat a stock Corvette in acceleration...

...as long as you pick the right Civic and the right Corvette, i.e. a modern Si coupe and a factory-spec California 1980 Corvette (with the 305 and 3-spd slushbox).

Unless the guy specified the 911 was not an older model, I'm assuming it's a late 1970s/early 1980s 911, which is something that can indeed be out-accelerated by a modded Civic.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
^
Ricers never have been good with numbers, since they claim coffee can exhausts upgrade 127-hp Civics to Corvette beating levels.:)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A stock Civic will beat a stock Corvette in acceleration...

...as long as you pick the right Civic and the right Corvette, i.e. a modern Si coupe and a factory-spec California 1980 Corvette (with the 305 and 3-spd slushbox).

Unless the guy specified the 911 was not an older model, I'm assuming it's a late 1970s/early 1980s 911, which is something that can indeed be out-accelerated by a modded Civic.
This is a short road course that he apparently went to, most boring cars can run it in the under 2 minute range. I just can't see a Civic out handling even an older 911.

Ricers just always seem to coe up with magical numbers for everything they do. Like wings makign them faster, and a Sparco wheel making them handle better.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Last time I was at the track a guy in a regular (non SRT4) neon was talking all big to me (not knowing what I was driving) saying how his little neon will blow the doors off of a Corvette because he has nitrous and how he's one of the fastest cars there, etc. When my turn came up I looked over at the car lined up next to me and there he was, he lost very badly by more than a second. The rest of the day was him throwing every excuse in the book at me and claiming he could beat me in a rematch but he didn't want to run his car anymore that day..... these people are all talk.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I know my 2006 Civic Si isn't the fastest car in the sports compact market anymore, but it's still a blast to drive, and has quite a bit of power when you want it.

That, and the engine loves being driven hard.

I'll definitely miss that about it :(.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
kinda like how I beat a riced out old Saturn with my Century :cool: loaded with plumbing stuff

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah some of these kids rice Saturns out also. Still find this whole thing to be funny. A stock Camaro is still faster than 90% of these ricers. Plus the Camaro was made to be powerful right from GM. It doesnt need a bunch of crap done to it to make it so.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Yeah some of these kids rice Saturns out also. Still find this whole thing to be funny. A stock Camaro is still faster than 90% of these ricers. Plus the Camaro was made to be powerful right from GM. It doesnt need a bunch of crap done to it to make it so.
They aren't really making it "faster" usually... Camaros are fairly expensive and very expensive to insure and fuel. They are just going for the look usually by a cheaper way...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

5,934 Posts
As I stated before a Civic with the K20 or K22 engine from Japan can beat most cars at a track. Proof was this Civic so equipped at MAM in April. This dude had one. He did have the rear seat removed and other stuff removed to remove weight, but still. He was posting consistent 1:45 numbers at MAM. The car, combined with his skill added up to quick, consistent lap times. He was a pretty cool dude, and taught me a few things as well.

I can believe a Civc beating a Porsche or Corvette. Albeit, a heavily modified one. A plain Jane looking Civic from the outside could surprise many guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts