Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrysler's Busse has a surprise for you
Interior design boss relishes hiding 'Easter eggs'
Richard Truett
Automotive News
October 14, 2014

DETROIT -- Klaus Busse, Chrysler Group's 6-foot-7 head of interior design, is a gentle giant and a playful one, too.

Busse and his team enjoy hiding what they call "Easter eggs" throughout Chrysler Group vehicles for owners to discover.

Easter eggs are fun, unobtrusive art elements that feature landmarks or historical images related to the vehicle.

Examples include the outline of the Jeep grille on the windshield of the upcoming Renegade, a 1941 Willys military Jeep in the black windshield edging on the Cherokee and the Detroit skyline -- minus General Motors' headquarters -- in a rubber mat on the Chrysler 200's console.

Chrysler does not publicize the Easter eggs because it wants customers to discover them on their own.

"There is no process on how we design these things," says the 44-year-old Mercedes-Benz veteran, who stayed with Chrysler after the failed DaimlerChrysler merger. "If it works, we'll do it; if it doesn't, we won't."

CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS.COM

Image courtesy of AutoNews.com:

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really like some of these details and touches; though a few I could live without.

In the case of the "Dodge Brothers" logo, I think it's a great throwback with a modern twist.

It also nicely coincides with the two "Dodge Brothers" commercials that were recently done:

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
All work and no play makes a very dull Jack.

Mmmm lots of nice chocolate, l think l might go buy a Jeep.

This could explain why Mopar sales of Ram & Jeep are doing so well this year.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
A bit petty isn't it leaving the Rencen out of the skyline. i expect better from Chrysler.

I take it as a friendly dig at the competition. I like the Easter Eggs. Dodge has replaced Pontiac for me except Dodge offers some real performance not just styling details.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Perhaps they could spend their time on instrument panels that actually look premium - there is something cheap looking about the designs from Chrysler on the inside. I know they've tried to improve the look, but it reeks of cheapness even on premium models. I'm not sure how they can improve the quality of materials and have it look like they spent a dollar doing it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
A bit petty isn't it leaving the Rencen out of the skyline. i expect better from Chrysler.
That's actually a smart move on Chrysler's part.

Reactions: Harry_Dunne

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
it is cool to find/have something surprising. A little different than what Chrysler is doing, but along a similar vein is the hidden cubby/electric door in my center console of my ATS, pretty cool. I also liked the Chevy emblem in my 2008 Malibu headlights and sidelights.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had a new Chrysler 200 as a rental a months ago, I noticed the Detroit skyline in the storage area under the gear selector knob. It was a nifty touch. Overall I was very impressed with the car, outside and especially inside, the interior was extremely well thought out. Someone sweated the details with the controls in particular, they were intuitive (unlike the disaster than is the Ford Fusion). The V6 in it was also a lot of fun.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I had a new Chrysler 200 as a rental a months ago, I noticed the Detroit skyline in the storage area under the gear selector knob. It was a nifty touch. Overall I was very impressed with the car, outside and especially inside, the interior was extremely well thought out. Someone sweated the details with the controls in particular, they were intuitive (unlike the disaster than is the Ford Fusion). The V6 in it was also a lot of fun.
Did it have any hidden chocolate, l bet the rental car cleaners are having great time?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I also like personalized touches such as the Camaro 'Flowtie' bowtie logo, Lincoln's 'floor mat' exterior lighting, and VWs headlight bulbs with tiny VW logos. They're small touches, but the kind of thing that please a car fan. The 'hidden' VW logo trunk-release handle (I know Golf has it; not sure about other models) was always a neat little feature too.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,474 Posts
it is cool to find/have something surprising. A little different than what Chrysler is doing, but along a similar vein is the hidden cubby/electric door in my center console of my ATS, pretty cool. I also liked the Chevy emblem in my 2008 Malibu headlights and sidelights.
I like it when they do these sort of things. I still remember when I noticed the little emblems on my Malibu as well. I couldn't help but thinking "Oh wow, that's neat." Kudos to Chrysler.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Dodge has replaced Pontiac for me except Dodge offers some real performance not just styling details.
Agreed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts