GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
"Rather, he and Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche have long insisted all of Chrysler's future products will beat the competition by delivering not just good quality, but more novelty and excitement at affordable prices."

And that is why American (or even formerly American in this case) manufacturers will eventually retake control of the NA market from the Japanese. It's not enough to build a high quality car - you have to offer some sort of driving excitement. Americans and Canadians spend more time in their cars than any other nationality, because we have much further to travel for a lot of things. So it makes perfect sense that we want to be able to have some fun and enjoy our cars. It's hard to find anything exciting about most Toyota or Honda cars. Why do you think rice exists? Because the cars are otherwise incapable of providing any level of fun or excitement, so people started to modify their cars in whatever way they could.

The 300C and Magnum have restored my faith in the Chrysler brands, and I hope they're able to continue executing well.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Wow, DC is really doing great!

-Jason

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I don't think DC is doing as good as they should be......I don't like the retro styling of 300C and the aggressive in-your-face styling of the Magnum, but I do think that with the popularity of this vehicle, Chrysler and Dodge might be able to pick up more encouraging sales.
For Chrysler creating a new platform to compete with Kappa: I think not. They would rather use the PT Cruiser platform to spawn off a hundred vehicles for affordable prices on there....

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Stealth 86 LSC@May 14 2004, 08:27 PM
anyone remember the razor? isnt that along similair lines?
Kind-of, but the razor was FWD. They stated that they may consider RWD if Kappa does well. The razor wasn't a bad looking car IMHO. would have been better as RWD. ;)

5,934 Posts
Yea, GM is really shaking up the automobile industry. Everybody, not just Chrysler, should be watching what GM is doing.

I've always viewed GM as this behemoth. Like a big rock (no pun intended). When they were struggling in the late 70's and 80's it was tough to watch. But with quality and style now starting to rise in the behemoth, watch out when that rock gets some inertia and starts to roll.

Less government regulation should also help Detroit. Goverment regualtion can either help, or destroy Detroit.

It's' gonna be interesting to watch.

I firmly believe we are at the dawning of a "new golden age" for Detroit. We had one which lasted from 1949 to about 1973. It'll be interesting to see how long this one lasts.

Now all we need is the Lions in the Super Bowl!!!

:woot2:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
New Mexico,

Not only is GM on a roll, but the so is Ford and DC - honestly. GM has quality and reliability plus desirable cars set, Ford has the retro theme perfected, and DC has innovative features and cars that are shaking up the industry too --- Magnum, 300, DCX vans, etc. Basically, all American brands are doing great now!

-Jason

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@May 15 2004, 12:06 AM
New Mexico,

Not only is GM on a roll, but the so is Ford and DC - honestly. GM has quality and reliability plus desirable cars set, Ford has the retro theme perfected, and DC has innovative features and cars that are shaking up the industry too --- Magnum, 300, DCX vans, etc. Basically, all American brands are doing great now!

-Jason
So, how's Mercedes doing?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Ford has the Retro theme perfected? I don't think so.

The Thunderbird was a huge failure.

The Mustang is untested. Will the public go for it? What will happen in 2-3 years? How do they give it a refresh?

Just because Ford can't think of a new idea, and is simply re-releasing old designs (Cobra., GT40, etc...) hardly means that they have perfected Retro.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by AJR+May 14 2004, 11:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AJR @ May 14 2004, 11:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RCtennis3811@May 15 2004, 12:06 AM
New Mexico,

Not only is GM on a roll, but the so is Ford and DC - honestly.  GM has quality and reliability plus desirable cars set, Ford has the retro theme perfected, and DC has innovative features and cars that are shaking up the industry too --- Magnum, 300, DCX vans, etc.  Basically, all American brands are doing great now!

-Jason
So, how's Mercedes doing? [/b][/quote]
They're quality is going up....

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@May 15 2004, 05:49 AM
Ford has the Retro theme perfected? I don't think so.

The Thunderbird was a huge failure.

The Mustang is untested. Will the public go for it? What will happen in 2-3 years? How do they give it a refresh?

Just because Ford can't think of a new idea, and is simply re-releasing old designs (Cobra., GT40, etc...) hardly means that they have perfected Retro.
While that's all true, I have a feeling that the Mustang will be a huge success - even to those who despise them. Why? Because they're's no other 2-door affordable V8 coupe out there, besides the GTO which is only in limited numbers. Also, Ford seems to be trumpeting this new Mustang very well at every auto show. At the Dallas Auto Show, everyone was at Ford's stand looking at a red Mustang (which I luckily got to sit in) and the GT. I think they'll do fine... And finally, you cannot order a GT anymore as they've already been sold out. How's that for not doing good?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow a possible Chevy coupe?? I am just praying that they'll give us the Nomad, but it'd be even better to get both the nomad and a coupe! Would this coupe fit between the Cobalt and the Malibu or would it be at the same level as the Cobalt?? Then we'd truly know what Americans want the most, RWD or FWD.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by posaune+May 14 2004, 08:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (posaune @ May 14 2004, 08:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Stealth 86 LSC@May 14 2004, 08:27 PM
anyone remember the razor? isnt that along similair lines?
Kind-of, but the razor was FWD. They stated that they may consider RWD if Kappa does well. The razor wasn't a bad looking car IMHO. would have been better as RWD. ;) [/b][/quote]
it actually IS rear wheel drive with the SRT-4 engine in it...if it were produced...it would easily be able to be a eleven second vehicle....

the thing withthe razor and the solstice...

is Bob Lutz knew the razor was coming when he left chrysler (for good reason) when he got on board with GM he wanted to make something similar it's why the solstice was rushed out to the detroit auto show...any one else notice the bright orange coupe solstice with no working running gear? hmmm....just another of many slaps in the face to chrysler by bob lutz...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts