GM Inside News Forum banner

Chrysler Unveils All-Electric Lineup, Tesla-Like Sports Car

6K views 58 replies 41 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Smart move. They could beat Tesla at its own game. For one they'd have better engineering resources, a bigger dealer network, and more development money in general.

It just might work.

Should GM build a "Tesla" on Alpha?

#4 · (Edited)
smart move i did see the press trucks yesterday at CTC but unfortunately i could not see any of the EV's that were the subject of the CNBC story (Chrysler was keeping them well hidden) at the time. Anyway I will be at CTC later today before i go to class and see if any of these EV's will make an appearance wish me luck

#11 ·
Electric drivetrains will make for great offroad vehicles. Unfortunately for sales of such, people fear an electric car will strand them ON a road. Now just extrapolate that fear to off-road (aka far from electricity).

"Hey, um, ah, AAA? I'm stranded mext to a ravine 13.2 miles east of Beaver Creek Falls. Could you bring me some electricity?"

#12 ·
"The Jeep EV, only vehicle to come standard with a retractable lighting rod!" :fall:

#14 ·
It's not electric Viper. It's an electric Dodge Razor, a concept car from 2007, which was supposed to eventually become manufactured.

This is surely a good move for Chrysler, who are in desperate need for ANY move, too bad however Chrysler believes they can't even design or build it themselves...

That said, meanwhile at GM:

#19 ·
So it only holds 2 and barely has a trunk. Well that eliminates it from a majority of the hybrid sales already.

#20 ·
No wonder chrysler is selling off the Viper. They don't need it when the EV comes to production. I like this move. I hope that the Jeep is an extended range vehicle with two separate motors, one for the front wheels one for the back wheels. No one would buy it if it were all electric.

#21 ·
Wow Chrysler, big surprise, I am underwhelmed. Tesla, which has far less capital than Chrysler, actually spent the money to make the Roadster a unique design at least. This is a Europa with Dodge graphics on it and the same battery pack as the Tesla, probably.

The Volt is yet untouched.

#22 ·
No ill will toward Chrysler, but considering they seem almost incapable of building competetive regular cars at this point, how are they going to realistically become a player in the electric car revolution (assuming that really happens)?

Anyway, Good Luck to them.

#32 ·
Do want. Very cool. Like the Tesla, only from a company that you can actually find a dealership to buy one. What I like most though is that they plan to have a few on the road by next year. Meanwhile GM shows us everything 5 years in advance.

Definitely want one. The Tesla costs too damn much, they just picked an arbitrary number and charge 100 grand for it. I'll take one with a smaller battery pack that only goes 100 miles per charge, it will get me to the college each day, and be lighter than the 250 miles version.

Pretty sweet little ride there.

#35 ·
This "Dodge" isnt going to cost much less.

#34 ·
The Wrangler is already over priced as it is.. I wonder how much it will cost with the added technology.

And the electric dodge sports car is going cost an arm and a leg, for sure more then the Volt.

I dont really understand electric sports cars in the first place. They are expensive and the only people who can buy them are the rich, and if you have money why not buy a real sports car like the GT-R or Z06??

The extended-range minivan is a good idea though, good for families. Unlike the Volt which can only sit 4.

I think we will be seeing more Volt technolgoy in different kinds of vehicles from GM.. like small trucks and crossover vehicles .. wonder if they could add this tech to the new Equinox.

#38 ·
I had personally pretty much written Chrysler off as dead cars rolling. This might be just what they need to "jump start" the business again. Or it will fial miserably and Cerebrus will sell them off in pieces like I figured. Hard to say at this point.

#39 ·
Good, I hope they are successful; their current line-up scares me, very much.

#40 · (Edited)
This car would be more logical if it had three engine levels V-6, V8, and a high performance V-8 or V-10, and called a ..GASP Viper. The three headed puppy needs to not allow its car "Brand" chase the electric rabbit. The tech is not there yet. It would be much better to look into better MPG while going alternate energy.
and please don't say the Viper would be ruined by smaller engines. It might just be a viable product if it did.

#42 ·
Wow. Pics of the EV compared to a Europa makes it look like Chrysler ripped off the design. So, a better plan is to put this electric powertrain into a production roadster. The Razor from a few years ago, the Demon that was shown a year or two ago, (or my favorite) the Dodge Concept Car (Copperhead) from 1997. No copying anyone else's design, still use their technology & can be fun & inexpensive. The drivetrain should of course be the star, not the car. If the drivetrain were in some of the Avengers, Sebrings, & Calibers, they might not have such low sales numbers. I wouldn't mind an all-electric Avenger (even with the crappy looking plastic dashboard). Or better yet, sign me up for an electric '09 Ram. :bounce:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.