GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

With Project Genesis in full swing, new revelations from Steven Landry, Chrysler executive vice president for North American Sales, have shed some more light on the corporate strategy to trim waste and turn the company around. As of now, dealers are under the belief that the automaker intends to cut its lineup by one-third to one-half. Supporting that assumption, Landry told a crowd at Northwood University that "twins" -- vehicles built on the same platform yet are sold under different brand names -- are out (think Jeep Liberty / Dodge Nitro). As Chrysler has more than a handful of twins, sold under several different brands, their dilemma will be in choosing which twin gets the axe, and which gets to survive.
[Source: Detroit Free Press]

Vehicles To be Axed?

Durango Aspen
Liberty Nitro
Caliber-Patriot-Compass
Grand Cherokee Commander
Caravan Town & Country

As we've already seen, the Magnum couldnt survive even though it didnt share a twin, the Dakota is under pressure to compete, and the new Avenger and Sebring have to be totally redone to compete in the class, could one of the sedans be on the chopping block (Like the Sebring)!?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Well, I'm sure everyone here has their opinion on what stays and what goes. We've had several of those threads. I just think it's interesting that NEITHER of the RWD sedans are going to be cut. I think that speaks to the desirability of the product and to the level of differentiation achieved.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Well, I'm sure everyone here has their opinion on what stays and what goes. We've had several of those threads. I just think it's interesting that NEITHER of the RWD sedans are going to be cut. I think that speaks to the desirability of the product and to the level of differentiation achieved.
Agree,the brand in my opinion that needs the most work is the Chrysler brand itself.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Is the PT crapper being cut yet? Please say yes. The Setrash needs to be cut ASAP. Just when you thought the worst car could not possibly get any worse, they somehow managed to make it one step lower on the worse cars in America list.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I don't like the Jeep Liberty, it's too feminine in nature. However I like the Nitro, it's beefier and has a more commanding presence, as all Dodge's should have. They dropped another car that I liked, the Magnum, while I am not a wagon person, done right with DI V6 engines (w/variable valve timing), Hybrid, and Turbo Diesel 5 cylinder engines (from Mercedes Benz) that car could have rocked, Worldwide.

Chrysler needs to re-define itself, they need more small cars, such as a redesigned PT, in place of the defunct Neon. Also the Calibre could be better advertised and butched up a bit, to represent the Dodge Power Brand
Chrysler desparately needs to bring back the genre of cars like: the Monaco, Fury, and Chrysler Newport family sized mid range sedans, that could also serve as municipal fleet cars, to keep the assembly lines going, and to fill a need vacated by GM and Chrysler for RWD family sedans. Before anyone says it I am only recalling the names for reference, of course the names can be updated to anything the company believes will serve that segment of vehicle. Further stated: that I see the family class sedan should be assigned to Dodge. The Chrysler moniker should be reserved as a up market Corporate line. Also the 300 should be redone, it's getting long in the tooth as well.

I don't know how the Sebring was allowed to go into production, if they had pulled anyone off the street, they would have learned the car is "Butt Ugly."

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I agree the PT's got to be first to go, though Chrysler is stupid for not giving it a redesign considering hatches have become more popular

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Well that is a two fold issue. Dodge NEEDS the Charger to fill that segment, and without the 300 what would be left to Chrysler? Seriously, every Chrysler brand model sans the 300 and Sebring Convertible is potentially facing the axe.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
I don't like the Jeep Liberty, it's too feminine in nature. However I like the Nitro, it's beefier and has a more commanding presence, as all Dodge's should have. They dropped another car that I liked, the Magnum, while I am not a wagon person, done right with DI V6 engines (w/variable valve timing), Hybrid, and Turbo Diesel 5 cylinder engines (from Mercedes Benz) that car could have rocked, Worldwide.

Chrysler needs to re-define itself, they need more small cars, such as a redesigned PT, in place of the defunct Neon. Also the Calibre could be better advertised and butched up a bit, to represent the Dodge Power Brand
Chrysler desparately needs to bring back the genre of cars like: the Monaco, Fury, and Chrysler Newport family sized mid range sedans, that could also serve as municipal fleet cars, to keep the assembly lines going, and to fill a need vacated by GM and Chrysler for RWD family sedans. Before anyone says it I am only recalling the names for reference, of course the names can be updated to anything the company believes will serve that segment of vehicle. Further stated: that I see the family class sedan should be assigned to Dodge. The Chrysler moniker should be reserved as a up market Corporate line. Also the 300 should be redone, it's getting long in the tooth as well.

I don't know how the Sebring was allowed to go into production, if they had pulled anyone off the street, they would have learned the car is "Butt Ugly."
The new Liberty (2008 Model) is a carbon copy of the Nitro, and looks nothing like the older version which you are referring to.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I cannot see them getting rid of either version of their minivans as these are Chrysler's bread and butter vehicles. One lady just got a loaded Town and Country at work and loves talking about the swivel seats and Sirius TV.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Patriot, Liberty and Commander are perfect for Jeep. Getting rid of the Commander instead of the GC is dumb in my opinion. They need to market and shape up the commander and it would be great. Those are three greatly Jeep styled products that fill well together.

Just with a Wrangler 2 and 4 door with a truck and Jeep is good for a while.

Chrysler and Dodge is tough. If Dodge is to have all the trucks and Suvs that's fine but what about nameplates that are all Dodge, like the Charger and challenger?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Patriot, Liberty and Commander are perfect for Jeep. Getting rid of the Commander instead of the GC is dumb in my opinion. They need to market and shape up the commander and it would be great. Those are three greatly Jeep styled products that fill well together.

Just with a Wrangler 2 and 4 door with a truck and Jeep is good for a while.

Chrysler and Dodge is tough. If Dodge is to have all the trucks and Suvs that's fine but what about nameplates that are all Dodge, like the Charger and challenger?
I think jeep almost has to keep the grand Cherokee name plate because the origin of jeep coinsides with cherokee- maybe just have a large 7 pass SUV called Grand Cherokee or even just it w/o the Grand.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The Aspen & Commander make definite sense........they're ugly and were definitely ill timed compared to competitors from Ford/GM

The Compass also makes sense in that it does nothing but dilute Jeep's brand image...

I say let Dodge keep the Nitro though.....there's too much similarity between the Liberty & Patriot for either one to sell reasonably well.....

As for the T/C.......it goes without saying, it needs to stay. Chrysler has made some good strides with their vans, but their still not up to the levels of their competitors (Odyssey/Sienna/Sedona).....once the Caravan is there, perhaps then would be a good time to cut the Town & Country.

The Sebring/Avenger are just straight up automotive abortions.......I for one wouldn't shed a tear if those weren't replaced.....

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Will both "twins" be axed, or just one of them?
what will probably happen is that one twin will be axed and the other will be allowed to survive alittle while longer. Chrysler should not axe either of its minivans. Granted they are "twin" vehicles but they also make up a good chunk of chryslers sales (especially among growing families). I Also highly doubt the avenger and the sebring will be axed just yet . Keep in mind chrysler is undertaking a drastic interior redesign for its sebring and avenger models and we'll have to wait and see whether the redesign was a success or an epic failure. If the "redesign" is not a success then i can care less about them when they do get the axe. Lastly the commander needed to be axed for two reasons. The V8's in the commander were not the most efficent around (especially with gas prices these days) and also the commander was leeching sales from the top selling grand cherokee

·
Registered
13,164 Posts
Which stays? the chrysler 300 or the dodge charger?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The Aspen & Commander make definite sense........they're ugly and were definitely ill timed compared to competitors from Ford/GM

The Compass also makes sense in that it does nothing but dilute Jeep's brand image...
What those to contradict each other. You want Jeep to not have a bigger boxier more Jeepy vehicle like the Commander because of Gas and other people wanting smaller stuff. So the Jeep has a compass, a smaller vehicles with good gas millage and you complain. Make up your mind, Jeeps are SUVs and niche vehicles or they are not.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Dodge should have kept the Magnum.

So, in this axing phase, Dodge would keep the utilitarian wagon and the sporty coupe, and Chrysler would keep the upscale sedan.

Which would make sense since Americans largely associate fullsize sedans with luxury.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
What those to contradict each other. You want Jeep to not have a bigger boxier more Jeepy vehicle like the Commander because of Gas and other people wanting smaller stuff. So the Jeep has a compass, a smaller vehicles with good gas millage and you complain. Make up your mind, Jeeps are SUVs and niche vehicles or they are not.
The problem with the Commander is that it was introduced as the SUV craze was declining.....it just took too long to get to market, by the time it did, GM and Ford were well entrenched.

As for the Compass?? Give me a break......the Patriot gets the same MPG and isn't a dumbed down off-roader for the shopping mall set.....

·
Registered
13,164 Posts
the problem with the commander is it clearly is a grand cherokee with a lifted roof..

Its almost Hummer cool but not quite..

So whats the point..

Kill it and move on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts