GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chrysler to revive Charger
Reborn car is planned for 2006 model year as a mass market rear-wheel-drive sedan

By Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

DaimlerChrysler AG is planning to come out with a new Dodge sedan by early next year under a name that brand loyalists will quickly recognize: the Charger.

Rumored for months, the rear-wheel-drive Charger is expected to debut as early as next January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and could hit showrooms by next spring, according to DaimlerChrysler officials familiar with the plans.

The company first hinted it may bring back the Charger brand when it introduced the Charger R/T concept in 1999. The rear-wheel drive Dodge Charger was born in 1966 as a high speed street racer. The 1969 Charger gained fame as the tire-squealing getaway car driven by Bo and Luke Duke for seven seasons on the TV show “The Dukes of Hazzard.”

The rear-drive Charger was phased out in the late 1970s and revived briefly in the 1980s as a front-wheel drive coupe. The reborn Charger will be a mass market sedan built on the same underpinnings as the new Chrysler 300 Series sedan and Dodge Magnum wagon.

Chrysler officials said the Charger will look very different from those vehicles. The new Charger is being planned for the 2006 model year.

more

·
Registered
524 Posts
Once again Chrysler slaps a well known name from their past on a half-hearted attempt. It seems to work well for them, look at the Hemi. Most people won't realize the Charger was a two door once. ;)

-T

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
who says they wont make a 2dr coupe?

You think with all that hemi talk that they wont attempt a coupe? Your out of your minds.

And Im trying to figure out how the Hemi was a half-hearted attempt... I dont see it. You talk ill of a car that you havent even seen yet. That charger up there is of Lutz creation. The Charger they are coming out with has yet to bee seen, but between the 300c and the Dodge magnum, it should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am actually quite happy to hear this news about another muscle-car into production. It brings back compotition to what was a dieing cause. Compitition is what pushes the excitement out of the products we are rooting for..

Im just wondering if it will be just another camaro and just die on us... Or wait a second, it's the succesfull marketing term "Hemi" thats going to do all the selling Im assuming.

- Good for Dodge & Ford. I give them praise for keeping the domestic spirit of a vehicle alive. Well just see how well they do.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I wonder if the Charger will have the same butt-ugly front ends of the Magnum and 300C. I like the powertrain, suspension, and interiors of those cars, but OMG are those cars ugly in the front.

Mark

·
Registered
524 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Mar 10 2004, 02:23 PM
who says they wont make a 2dr coupe?

You think with all that hemi talk that they wont attempt a coupe? Your out of your minds.

And Im trying to figure out how the Hemi was a half-hearted attempt... I dont see it. You talk ill of a car that you havent even seen yet. That charger up there is of Lutz creation. The Charger they are coming out with has yet to bee seen, but between the 300c and the Dodge magnum, it should be pretty easy.
It says so in the article:

"The reborn Charger will be a mass market sedan"

Ask any Hard Core Hemi fan about the new Hemi. It's about as much a hemi as most modern OHC engines. The valve angle is less, and the combustion chamber is not truely hemispherical.

-T

·
Registered
760 Posts
One reason Chrysler is bringing back the charger is because of the over welming demand for the concept version released in 1999 (Even with the 4 Doors.), which is in the picture above. I just hope they don't come out with a car that is totally different then that thinking it will sell because of the demand of that version. I just want what they promised in 1999 a car that is exactly like or closely resembles the one in the picture (Yes even with 4 doors just like in the picture), with V-8 Hemi. Make that and the line will form behind me to buy one. :D

Joe

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i'll admit i know nothing about the charger, but does the maroon sedan (in the picture) really emulate the other two cars pictured? not to my eyes. the only similarity i see is the rise of the rear end, behind the back wheels. i dunno... will THIS satisfy charger purists more or less than the GTO?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hemi - shmemi.
Who cares. It's a friggin Chrysler.

Let's see how long it takes before the tranny falls out or automatically downshifts to second when someone's doing 90mph on the interstate. :lol:

I want to see what GM will do to answer the Charger challenge.....if there is one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
i just hope they do a good job on it. i would be sad to see them destroy the name. and i guess they will have to go retro, we learned with the GTO that if it doesnt go retro people wont like it (im not saying nobody likes it, but the majority of people think its a discrase, because they are stupid :p )

i hope it comes in a coupe and has the power of the original charger with the performance of a new car, like the new gto has done (yes i know holden actually did it). but if its mass market, im not expecting much.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I may be biased, but I have little respect for Daimler. (I intentionally don't include the Chrysler name since the way I see it they don't exist and anyone who fell for the "merger of equals" crap.... well, I have some ocean front property in Wisconsin to sell to you! :) ) The new Hemi is WEAK. I don't know how they post the numbers they do, or maybe the Hemi Ram I've been driving occasionally is a bad one out of the production run, but it feels torqueless and needs to be revved up like a low-displacement cammer to find the power.

On the other side of it, that Charger concept is (I hate to admit this) one of the sweetest looking cars I've seen. If the Germans can get that car right it'll be stiff competition (probably against the GP GTP or GXP); however, I'm sure they'll find a way to screw it up so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Maybe it's the Challenger we're waiting for as a new Mopar ponycar. Charger is apparently just the Magnum with a trunk, with perhaps unique styling.

I had the same experience with the Hemi in a Ram...not much low-end, and the GM 4.8 felt as strong. But I have no doubt, in a car weighing 3500-4000 pounds, the thing will romp.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
AHH what the hell, I will play my favorite sport, The Devils Advocate. The Germans own Chrysler so they don't have a clue about the domestic market. They should put out a Charger Coupe, they will not, so who friggin cares. Their quality control sucks so buy a Chrysler/Dodge (Sedan) at your own risk. Mopar has quality deficient bleepmobiles, GM has nothing under 30K to challenge and Ford has a 300hp, 300+ ft lbs of torque Mustang. THE WINNER IS? FORRRRRDDDDDDDD!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Mar 10 2004, 10:26 PM
The Germans own Chrysler so they don't have a clue about the domestic market.
If so, then why is DC the first and only manufacturer to release an American-themed sedan in the 300C... long hood-line, chopped roof, and big V8 power driving the rear-wheels?

Frankly, I see no indication that Chrysler has lost touch with domestic (U.S.) desires. Considering that the thousands of people running the show in Auburn Hills are still American, there's no reason to think otherwise.

I love what Ford has done with the Stang and the resurrection of the pony-car segment...but Chrysler has responded with a more practical, family-oriented American performance car. They each stand alone...right now.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by montess2k@Mar 10 2004, 03:42 PM
I believe this was on an earlier thread but here is another possibility of what the charger could look like on chryslers current platforms, from popular hot rodding.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/.../0404phr_dodge/
I sure hope the real car looks better than the shots in Popular Hot Rodding. Hopefully, the production version will look nearly identical to the 1999 concept car. Knowing Chrysler, it probably will remain true to its original design. Whether or not the Charger is sedan-only (I agree, a coupe would be better) it is a gorgeous car. It's remarkable that this car can possibly share the same platform as a car that is so hideous as the C-300 and Magnum.

However, there is still one inevitable question that has to be asked...why no manual transmission???

P.S. What the hell is this? --> :grenade:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9+Mar 10 2004, 10:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (desmo9 @ Mar 10 2004, 10:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-yoblues@Mar 10 2004, 10:26 PM
The Germans own Chrysler so they don't have a clue about the domestic market.
If so, then why is DC the first and only manufacturer to release an American-themed sedan in the 300C... long hood-line, chopped roof, and big V8 power driving the rear-wheels?

Frankly, I see no indication that Chrysler has lost touch with domestic (U.S.) desires. Considering that the thousands of people running the show in Auburn Hills are still American, there's no reason to think otherwise.

I love what Ford has done with the Stang and the resurrection of the pony-car segment...but Chrysler has responded with a more practical, family-oriented American performance car. They each stand alone...right now. [/b][/quote]
I totally agree! I am falling in love with the 300C. V8 power, RWD, luxurious interior, and it has that 70s outside look to it (big and bulky, yet powerful). I'm even thinking of buying a 300C!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts