GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9,599 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Jun 25 2004, 02:54 PM
The key will be the price. They have a car with a lot of Mercedes pieces underneath competing with a basically 25 year old car that's got a simple design and long-paid-for tooling. I know which car officers would prefer, but it's the department budget people that buy the cars. If they can get 5 Ford Interceptors for the same price as 4 Magnums, the choice may not be so clear.
That will be a huge factor since Ford could easily undercut th Magnum since it's by far the most profitable car made by Ford. The last report I read was that Ford makes almost $7000 on each Crown Vic sold which is remarkable. I imagine they don't even make that on their most expensive SUV's.

· Registered
9,599 Posts
Originally posted by SilverZ@Jun 25 2004, 11:56 PM
Does anyone think Cops's egos can survive while driving a fugly station wagon? Whats the manueverability on that boat?
That "fugly" Hemi station wagon makes the Crown Vic look like a Grandma's car.

Oh wait it already was.

· Registered
9,599 Posts
AJR you make some great points but unless they really do have a desire to get a stronghold on that market I think they will have to lose money on the deal at least initially. Obviously if it was up the law enforcement the choice would be obvious but when I see local police forces having fundraisers so they can outfit their K-9's with bullet proof vests I know it will be a price sensitive decision.

Right now the price difference is probably more than $6,000 dollars properly outfitted so even a small department that needs ten vehicles will have to come up with an additional $60,000 dollars. Even if the difference is much smaller it seems like a fortune when these very same budgets consider a couple hundred dollars to protect expensive animals and companions to be a budget buster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.