GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Michael Blackmer may want to watch his back soon. Several agencies around the nation are looking everywhere for vialbe replacments for the Vic, and due to more bad press on fuel tank explosions due to inadequate design, and Ford's refusal offer a modified design on the interceptor package, the magnum may very well take Ford's coveted spot away in the police car market.

I expect the Louisiana State Police to have a few of these, they are already running down speeders in Dodge Durangos and Impalas and the Magnum is a better fit for that mold. I see the Crown Vic being scaled out soon from police forces if the competition increases in the market.

· Registered
63 Posts
Originally posted by Jay@Jun 25 2004, 08:50 AM
Can this be true?  Ford refused to modify the Crown Vic for Police Interceptor sales?  Police are the only ones who buy the lethargic Crown Vic and Ford is crazy if they don't do everything they can to maintain the few sales they can find for the market.  If Ford loses Interceptor sales then the lethargic Crown Vic is as good as dead.  No one else in their right mind would buy one.
It is basically true. It is true Police forces use their cars in a way that most convential motorists will not, thus putting themselves at risk. However several Police mechanics have made their own shields and what not that protects from the tanks.

One man in Houston I belive found a combination of the location and the bolts on the frame were causing the problems. He devised a shield, replace the bolts with those flat head type and changed some brackets. I believe he even contacted Ford to show them this is what needs to be done and they snubbed him.

Basically cops use their cars in a way that puts them at risk. Ford has denied any wrong doing engineering wise on the car which they have a right to do. However the problem has been presented to them, and a cheap solution that works has also been shown to them, and they refuse to implement it into their interceptor package.

If your are going to produce a police package that has problems and then people start dying as a result of its use, and then a 3rd party finds out how to fix it, why not take that persons advice, implement the changes to save future lives?

Thats basically what Ford has done. They have said we dont have a problem, and its the police tactics that are the problem. I say if you willingly sell a particular package to police organizations and you know they use the vehicle in such a way, include the modifcication for safety in all police packages. Simple enough dont you say?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.