GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group has been keeping mum about the automaker’s future product lineup, but company executives tipped their hands this week, confirming plans for three new models for the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brands.

In a meeting with financial analysts Wednesday, Chrysler executives said they plan to revive the famous Dodge Charger fastback as a sedan and build a new full-size sport utility vehicle called the Jeep Commander. The company also provided details about the replacement for the Chrysler Sebring sedan, which is being developed with Mitsubishi Motors Corp. and could be sold under a different name.

While speculation has been rampant about the Commander and Charger, Wednesday marked the first time that Chrysler publicly said the vehicles will be produced.

Analysts say the automaker is also working on new entry-level SUVs for the Jeep and Dodge brands, as well as a small sport wagon for Dodge to replace the Neon compact car.

The new products are part of a campaign to bolster sales after three years of cost-cutting by giving Chrysler much-needed competitors in fast-growing segments. In 2001, Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche set a goal of increasing global car and truck sales by 1 million units to 4 million by 2011.

Chrysler is introducing nine new vehicles this year and has promised 16 more new cars and trucks by the end of 2006. Though the company will not discuss product plans for 2005 and 2006, analysts who follow the automaker are crafting a picture of what is on the way.

Michael Bruynesteyn of Prudential Equity Group in New York described the Charger, Commander and Sebring replacement in a report released Thursday. He attended the analyst meeting Wednesday at Chrysler headquarters in Auburn Hills.

The Jeep Commander is 4.5 inches taller than the popular Jeep Grand Cherokee and more square and upright, “bearing some resemblance to GM’s Hummer H2,” Bruynesteyn wrote. It will share the same underpinnings as the Grand Cherokee, but will have three rows of seats and should debut during the third quarter of 2005, he said.

The Sebring replacement, expected in 2006, is taller and wider than the current model, with notable “cat eye” headlights and “employs some styling cues from the Chrysler Crossfire” sports car, Bruynesteyn said. The mid-size passenger car is being jointly developed with Japan’s Mitsubishi Motors, which is partly owned by DaimlerChrysler.

The Charger has the same interior and underbody as the Dodge Magnum wagon, “but the exterior sheet metal is completely different,” he said.

Full Story HERE

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@Jun 4 2004, 01:28 PM
In a meeting with financial analysts Wednesday, Chrysler executives said they plan to... build a new full-size sport utility vehicle called the Jeep Commander. The company also provided details about the replacement for the Chrysler Sebring sedan, which is being developed with Mitsubishi Motors Corp. and could be sold under a different name.
they've let GM and ford run alone with full-size sport utes for a long time. while i don't care about sport utilities, it makes sense for them to join in. but you're a little late to the game boys! hope it gets 35 mpg!

as for the sebring replacement, i wonder how this'll jive with the now-defunct mitsu-DCX partnership.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
replacing the Intrepid with a Charger... Sedan??????

wtf is going on.

I'm sorry, the charger should have been a Mustang/Future Camaro competitor, not a sedan intrepid replacement. Ghey.

·
Registered
126 Posts
<_< DUDE........SERIOUSLY !!!!!!!!

A four door Charger !!?? What corporate moron thought of this brain storm. Hey great your gonna bring back the Charger..........but hmmm.......I've been a pretty avid musclecar lover but never seen a four door Charger........oh let me see.... its because they never built one. Mopar....GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A** WILL YA!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
It is funny to see what is in a name.....

Dodge is announcing that they will be making a RWD V-8 with HP in the 350HP-450HP range (Just rumors for now) it will probably be a little lighter then the 300C which may make it a little faster (0-60 in low 5's). It may have awesome retro exterior much like the new Mustang, and it may have a very nice interior. If the car rolled out onto an auto show floor and didnot have any badging on it, and it had four doors it is quite possible many people would be impressed with it and probably even inquire when it will be released. If this car was called anything else most people would probably not have a problem with it, but because they are just putting some letters on the sides and rear that spell out the word charger it is automatically being dismissed as a POS without anyone ever seeing what the car physically looks like. And just because of those two extra doors and without even noing what kinda numbers it puts out it is automatically stated that it will not be able to compete with the mustang or Camaro (Which isn't even produced anymore). All I am saying is at least have an open mind about the car and see what it looks like before it is completely dismissed as a POS. I believe the 96 Impala, the marauder and the current 300C, showed that a four door car can still kick *** even with the 2 additional doors (Well at least 2 out a the three did anyway). Amazing what is in a name, this poor car that has not even been released is already on an up hill climb for popularity just cause a the name it is gettin. Well I for one am keeping an open mind as I have stated many times before I loved the 99 concept with the four doors and if it comes out with the right numbers you can laugh at me all you want for owning a four door charger that is ya can laugh at me until I fly past ya and blow ya away. :D

I am not much into Shakespeare but what is in a name would a rose by any other name not smell as soft and sweet as it does?
If this V8 puts out the right numbers and is done tastefully I could care less what it is called and it may even be good enough to have those Charger letters on the side and rear, but only time will tell

Keep an open mind until ya see pics, and numbers then you can Critique the car and the guys at Mopar all ya want.

Joe

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I totally agree with Monte. People are WAY to caught up in names. Especially names that disappeared 30 years ago.

Who cares what it's called? Just build it.

Unless you are an original owner of a Charger, who has not bought a single car since it's discontinuation, get over it. Times change.

You are telling me that if you were in the market for that type of car, you wouldn't buy it because the nostalgic name will give people the wrong impression? Duh.

Hell, I'd buy a Corvette minivan if it was fast and cool enough (and I was in the market for a minivan).

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Corvette minivan, eh? Kinda has a nice ring to it in a weird sorta way.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 5 2004, 02:47 PM
I totally agree with Monte. People are WAY to caught up in names. Especially names that disappeared 30 years ago.

Who cares what it's called? Just build it.

Unless you are an original owner of a Charger, who has not bought a single car since it's discontinuation, get over it. Times change.

You are telling me that if you were in the market for that type of car, you wouldn't buy it because the nostalgic name will give people the wrong impression? Duh.

Hell, I'd buy a Corvette minivan if it was fast and cool enough (and I was in the market for a minivan).
I disagree Rex. Nostalgic reasons drive auto buyers to their brand all of the time. Heck, thats why so many dumbnuts bought GM in the 80's... because it was GM(not because they were good cars)... so that is why I hate when auto companies try to jumpstart sales with a nameplate that stood for something... and then the sales fall through and the company looks embarassed (ref: GTO, Thunderbird, Impala, etc).

If they knew they truly had a competive product, they could easily use a properly appointed retro name or at least make up a new one.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by posaune@Jun 5 2004, 04:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a sedan can have 2 doors.
Yes, but a majority of cars now a days that have 4 door are referred to as Sedans & 2 doors as Coupes.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8+Jun 5 2004, 08:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PontiacJ8 @ Jun 5 2004, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-posaune@Jun 5 2004, 04:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a sedan can have 2 doors.
Yes, but a majority of cars now a days that have 4 door are referred to as Sedans & 2 doors as Coupes. [/b][/quote]
GTO? Isn't that comsidered a 2 door sedan ;)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by SilverZ@Jun 5 2004, 07:09 PM
[so that is why I hate when auto companies try to jumpstart sales with a nameplate that stood for something... and then the sales fall through and the company looks embarassed (ref: GTO, Thunderbird, Impala, etc).

I don't agree in including the Impala in that group.

Both times they have brought the Impala name back, it has sold very well. Impala stands for mainstream family sedan, and that's what it is today, selling very well. The SS versions of the 90's were able to build on the family sedan image and develop a strong enthusiast following, but the Impala name itself stand for just what the car is today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts