GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., April 14 (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler's (NYSE:DCX - News; XETRA:DCXGn.DE - News) struggling Chrysler division should soon see an increase in sales from its lineup of all-new or redesigned cars and trucks, a senior company official said on Wednesday.

"I think in the second quarter we should start to see some lift there," said outgoing Chief Operating Officer Wolfgang Bernhard, when asked how soon new products would translate into higher U.S. sales.

"Things are taking off at this point in time," Bernhard said.

He referred to, among other vehicles, the Chrysler 300, an all-new, flagship sedan.

Nine new models are coming from Chrysler and its Dodge and Jeep divisions this year, part of 25 due over the next three years. And in an industry where product is king, company officials are clearly hoping that glittering new sheet metal will give their long-running turnaround efforts traction.

"This will finally mean that Chrysler has taken off," Bernhard said of the product offensive. After a long drought, the automaker is finally getting "some air under the wings," he said.

Bernhard was appointed to head DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes-Benz unit in February and spoke to reporters at a luncheon marking the handover of his No. 2 spot at Chrysler to Tom LaSorda, a manufacturing chief hired from General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News) in 2000.

Full Story HERE

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
saw my first 300C the other day infront of a dealer... wow, whata sharp looking car. Bravo to DCX.

edit: *smack*

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That would be 300C. The 300M is dead. I saw my first real life 300C at our town dealer. It's not for me at all. It looks like some kind of military vehicle in that Magnesium color.

I wouldn't get too carried away with DCX. It's Mercedes division could give Cadillac some big problems in the future. Is Cadillac and GM ready for a big fight?

·
Registered
44,247 Posts
Originally posted by AJR@Apr 15 2004, 01:32 AM
That would be 300C. The 300M is dead. I saw my first real life 300C at our town dealer. It's not for me at all. It looks like some kind of military vehicle in that Magnesium color.

I wouldn't get too carried away with DCX. It's Mercedes division could give Cadillac some big problems in the future. Is Cadillac and GM ready for a big fight?
... and GMs Buick division will knock DCX's Chrysler division into next Tuesday...

Mercedes needs to fix its quality problems....

·
Registered
760 Posts
Now just make the Damn Hemi DodgeCharger! R/T with 350HP !!!!!!!!!!
PPPLLLLLLEEEEAAASSSEEEEEEE.!!!!!! The concept version that came out in 1999 or something very similar to that.......

Joe

·
Registered
710 Posts
Rumor suggests that they did not release the Charger
at the NY show because of everything else that is now
coming out (new GC, 300C, Magnum). We shall see.
Dodge had better hope the Charger will not be a flop!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I'd say it's WAY too early to call this race. The 300 and Magnum have just made it to the dealerships, as I understand it. I have yet to see one on the street.

I hope they're a big success, but let's not get carried away.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think the Magnums are due out in June.
The 300s should already be on dealer lots.

The 300C is impressive for a 2-ton vehicle
running on highway gears. Slap in a better
set of gears, wait for a Hemi reprogrammer
and that is going to be a sweet luxo-cruiser.

I find the Magnum more attractive though.
I wish they would make a Magnum sedan,
and they could also price it below $30K for
the Hemi variant. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Originally posted by apro4x4@Apr 15 2004, 09:44 PM
The Charger MUST remain a two door version........PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!
Probably won't happen. Dodge needs a sedan. The Charger, according to some accounts, will be that car. Daimler knows what's best for the American public and Dodge. :rolleyes:

There's always the Mustang or GTO. :bounce:

·
Registered
613 Posts
I test drove a 300c last week at a friends dealership.

WOW!

It looks like a pseudo Bentley to me. Not for everyone but that's not the point. They don't want to be a Camry. Bland cars are the ones that get bought by everyone.

I wish I hadn't bought my Murano back in November now. I really like the Murano, but DAMN, that 300C is NICE!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The 300 is a cool-looking car that's better in person. I've seen 2 on the road (300C in black and a lesser-version 300 in white). Not bad, honestly!

·
Registered
785 Posts
This car is hot (Classic Design), fast (5.7 HEMI 0-60 6.3 seconds) and priced just right (33,000). Glad a car maker is finally creating a more classic four door full size. The stylistic and performance value packed into this car will allow Chrysler to develop and refine what American cars were supposed to look like. It has a stately Bentley like front profile, has the size of the up scale competition and is firmly dominant on the domestic front, besting offerings from Ford, and GM with the exception of the Cadillac division with its more expensive offerings. With GM and Ford trying to create cars to compete with imports with its obvious strain on styling, this American looking auto is going to be the choice of Americans who want room and want to go fast in style. Mercedes is definitely helping this car on the technology front and I am sure Mercedes systems being developed technologies contribute to keeping the price down on the mid-range models. The only negative design element I can see on face value is how small the side windows are. I personally enjoy having a good view out of a vehicle especially when traveling and I think Chrysler may have pushed the practicality front a little in the interest of style and statement. I can’t say for sure since the local car show didn’t have one you could sit in and I haven’t had a chance to sit in one elsewhere, but it may give the occupants a feeling of security and privacy much like the high window sills on the last generation Audi A8 did. I hope quality is really as good as it appears. If Chrysler can get a little weight off in future years through lighter materials combined with engine adjustments to get the 0-60 down to 5.9 that much more expensive full size sedans accomplish, then this car is sure to be a classic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts