GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrysler’s plug-in hybrid prototypes do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, 300 mile range

So we already know that vice chairman and president Jim Press was out earlier this month touting three ‘electric-vehicle prototypes’ to Chrysler dealers. We now have more information on what exactly he showed and what’s on the drawing board headed towards production.

If you remember, about 2 months back Chrysler launched a new division called ENVI (yes, a group that’s ENVIous of the Volt) that it said was going to be responsible for developing electric vehicles for the three Chrysler brands. Well guess what? Those were the three prototypes being shown to dealers by Press who has also driven the three, what he calls, ‘producible prototypes.’

All three cars use plug-in hybrid technology (much like the Chevy Volt) and allow for range of at least 300 miles. Press, who has driven all three models, says that they are capable of going from 0 to 60 mph in less than four seconds. He hinted that the technology used in the three cars will also be useful for an off-road SUV, which could lead to speculations of a Jeep hybrid.

Press said that the ENVI unit is also developing a pure electric-car.

No release dates for any of the models has been confirmed, but having a plug-in hybrid prototype already prepared is a huge step for the third-largest domestic automaker.

More pictures at link:
http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/09/1...o-0-60-in-less-than-4-seconds-300-mile-range/

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
This should help make things for the next era of electric-gas hybrids more interesting.

I wonder what Lutz & co. are thinking about this news and what they will think should the 300 range be a definite part of the production plans of whichever of vehicle(s) come to market.

We shall see.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
How do we know that the Volt does'nt go 300+ miles? All we ever heard is 40 miles+ There not telling us everthing about the volt.
The R & D on the first gen Volt is done. We are waiting on the batteries. I am sure that the next gen E-Flex is in devolpment and by some time and way more capable than any other systems in progress. My truck can go 300 miles on a tank, but unless I take a trip on the hiway, it isn't happening. Looks good for Chrysler Co. but not too promising.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I think that in order for these cars to really take root in the US they cant all be pruis look alikes.
Maybe their isn't a way around the looks? Look at the EV1, Prius, Insight, CR-Z and Volt. They all have kind of a weird look compared to traditional cars. Maybe in 10 years when battery technology is advanced, aerodynamics wont matter as much.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Its a pure electric car, like the EV1 was. EV1 had a 200 mile range, no?
GM could play with the battery packs, remove the ICE and gas tank, and have a 400 mile Volt too.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
1) I hate the automotive stylists for teasing us with these radical shapes. No wonder people are disappointed with the "real" Volt....how unfortunate. If fuel efficiency is job #1, then you have to make styling sacrifices......wheels pushed out too the extreme corners, bulky fender bulges, huge/wide/open wheels will not make it into production.

2) We need to stop jumping to conclusions: The article did say "300 mile range" (it's a "hybrid" meaning gas engine and batteries)....but it did NOT say 300 miles on battery power only.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
What are they waiting for???
Q3 results to check if they are still in business. Really, it appears that Chrysler's last functional unit is now the Bologni Department. Meanwhile at Auburn Hills:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Until I see some development mules somewhere, this, from Chrysler is in fact Vaporware!

No where in the article does it say the cars have a range of 300 miles on electric alone. It says a range. The Volt will have a 300 or so mile "range" also.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Q3 results to check if they are still in business. Really, it appears that Chrysler's last functional unit is now the Bologni Department. Meanwhile at Auburn Hills:

What's a New Beetle Convertible doing in a crowd of cars in Auburn Hill? Don't tell me, another "merger of equals" occurred this morning while I was working?!

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
How do we know that the Volt does'nt go 300+ miles? All we ever heard is 40 miles+ There not telling us everthing about the volt.
Oh, please! If Putz and company are saying the Volt has a range of 40 miles then it really is only 20 miles. Remember, Putz pads his resume, his involvement in things, and likely pads his manhood as well.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
This should help make things for the next era of electric-gas hybrids more interesting.

I wonder what Lutz & co. are thinking about this news and what they will think should the 300 range be a definite part of the production plans of whichever of vehicle(s) come to market.

We shall see.
Why would GM want to REDUCE the Volt's range down to 300 miles? I believe the number GM was talking about was a range of up to 600 miles for the Volt.

But I certainly agree that competition is a great thing for we consumers! We'll get to argue about, and choose whatever configuration is more important to us.

I don't know if these Chrysler prototypes are Prius-type plug-in hybrids, or the superior Volt-type plug-in hybrid (which GM does NOT refer to as a hybrid) but I welcome them to the battle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Volt is not a Hybrid, at least not in the same sense as a prius. If Gm doesn"t make this really clear, they are going to face a public, who will want to know how Honda can
sell their car for $18,000. and GM wants $35,000. plus. GM's own vue plug in will only add to the confusion. This will be a really big test for GM's marketing department, which in my opinion, has not been very successful in getting the public interested in GM cars.

·
Registered
962 Posts
What's a New Beetle Convertible doing in a crowd of cars in Auburn Hill? Don't tell me, another "merger of equals" occurred this morning while I was working?!

That'a a PT conv if it's the yellow one you are speaking about. By the way I love how that Charger just stands out from the crowd!

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts

I will have that green Charger in the middle please..... and nothing but that specific car... :) How many cars do you need to move to get to one car? :)

Not sure how to take this, Chrysler late to the party and just needing to create some hybrid talk? They haven't done too much with the dual modes either.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Wow those specs are truly impressive....will be cool to see what substance there is this. Plus what the cars look like, like that ovoid Chrysler concept electric that had Sixteen design cues up front. That red Dodge looks hot too...would be nice if the real things have truly bold styling AND good CDs!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Not sure if you guys remember Lutz saying the Volt would do 0-60 in 5 seconds (it won't):

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/09/25/chevrolet-volt-0-60-in-less-than-6-seconds-says-lutz/

In practice, it will probably be around 9 seconds or just under. As for the Chrysler cars doing it in less than half that, we're talking supercar levels of power that only Tesla can put down with an ultra-light Elise-based architecture, tiny 2 seat capacity with almost no trunk, and a $100K price tag--and they still only reach 244 mi range without a heavy range-extending engine. I doubt Chrysler is looking to play in this field, even if it could. Sub-4 sec 0-60 is just a PR stunt by some suit looking for attention using "press release engineering."

1 - 20 of 41 Posts