GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHELSEA, Mich. -- The Chrysler group is working to build more Hemi V8 engines at its Saltillo, Mexico, plant.

But the company is moving carefully, fearful of saturating the market and undermining demand.

"We are aware of the risk of dilution," CEO Dieter Zetsche said at a press event here.

The company said last week that the popular 345-hp engine will power two more vehicles.

The 2006 Dodge Charger full-sized rear-wheel-drive sedan will be Hemi-powered, Zetsche said. Also last week, the company unveiled the Hemi-equipped 2005 Dodge Ram Power Wagon, which goes on sale in the fourth quarter.

Currently, the Hemi is available in the Dodge Durango, Magnum and Ram and Chrysler 300C. The redesigned 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee will offer the Hemi.

Chrysler will not say how many Hemi engines it builds annually. But production is running 10 percent higher than planned, the company said last week.

The Hemi engine is a marketing hit for Chrysler. It also delivers high vehicle margins, Zetsche said, because Hemi-equipped vehicles are upscale models with many features.

Full Story HERE

5,934 Posts
So it's not a "true" Hemi, but it's still a V-8 baby!

About time, I'm gett'in frickin tired of being force fed hybrids, 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder crap.

:mf_boff:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Where is the LS1/2 built?

pretty sure its not Mexico.

5,934 Posts
I've been meaning to check out the Magnum.

****, with most of the 4 and 6 cylinder crap they're trying to sell us today, I feel like they should come with a set up "pumps" (yea, the female shoe) thrown in for free. Because if I was a man driving an S-Type Corolla I would feel like I should be wearing a dress and a nice set of pumps.

And tha's my opinion.... :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@Jun 22 2004, 10:09 PM
Where is the LS1/2 built?

pretty sure its not Mexico.
Michigan, check the engine guide at the home page

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The Hemi over rated. I can't stand those damn Dodge commercial where the first thing they say it "Yeah, its got a Hemi." When its not even a real Hemi like ab348 pointed out.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Congrats to DCx for offering a wonderful product in the 300C/Magnum/Soon to be released Dodge Charger. GM should take lessons in how to style their cars by making them look more expensive than the actually are (it is typical now for the cars to look cheap and be more expensive than predicted). My family hasn't had much luck with Dodges so I have nothing to gain by praising what was once a moribund brand, but kudos to them for starting to produce stuff that is fun to drive, nice to own, and not an embarrassment. Now if only they can build them in a quality manner and they'll be heads and shoulders above anything coming off a GM assembly line.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by gonenuts15792@Jun 22 2004, 05:01 PM
The Hemi over rated. I can't stand those damn Dodge commercial where the first thing they say it "Yeah, its got a Hemi." When its not even a real Hemi like ab348 pointed out.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The "Hemi" is getting a lot more press than it deserves, but Chrysler deserves credit for a good engine and a great marketing campaign.

Too bad GM doesn't have a cool name for their car engine line. The Vortec for the truck engines sounds kind of lame in comparison. Sticking the names like L82, LT1, LS1, LS6, and LS2 on engines just doesn't mean much to anyone other than gearheads.

Mark

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
GM GUY81,

The LS1 / LS2 engine is built at St. Catherines Ontario Canada (30 miles west of Niagra Falls Canada).

The torque tube / drive train assembly is built in Australia.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
It will be year 2 that tells it all. Like the PT Cruiser that had fantastic sales the first year only to see falling sales the following years after the "must haves" bought theirs.
Unlike the PT, the 300 is not a niche (retro) vehicle that only caters to a small number of people.
The first time I saw the new Chrysler, I thought Rolls Royce styling. As I said, just because a car doesn't cost much, it doesn't have to be ugly. Chrysler is sending this message loud and clear.
Also, as far as quality, I have 2 Caravans. One with 171,000 miles (89) and a '98 that has 45,000 miles and has never given me an ounce of trouble. With the 7 year warranty, I would have purchased another Chrysler product instead of the Monte Carlo. The only factor holding me back was styling in the 2001-4 Chryslers.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Jun 22 2004, 10:25 PM
****, with most of the 4 and 6 cylinder crap they're trying to sell us today, I feel like they should come with a set up "pumps" (yea, the female shoe) thrown in for free. Because if I was a man driving an S-Type Corolla I would feel like I should be wearing a dress and a nice set of pumps.

And tha's my opinion.... :p
ah, you thwarted any argument by admiting it's your opinion. whew! otherwise i'd require an explanation as to why EVERYONE needs a V8, and why for some reason purchasing a cheap and economical vehicle turns men into women. curious state of affairs. my dad bought roomy family vehicles that were good on gas so that he'd be able to take his kids on vacation every year and drive halfway across the country. i'd rather see more men like that than ones who buy a snarling V8 and spend all summer waxing it. that's my opinion, however, which doesn't have to agree with yours, right?

:lol:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Jun 23 2004, 07:38 AM
...Unlike the PT, the 300 is not a niche (retro) vehicle that only caters to a small number of people....
How is the PT Cruiser a "niche" vehicle? They sell over 100,000 of them in the US alone each year. That makes it one of the most popular Chrysler-branded vehicles on the market (behind the Town & Country). Sales of a 100,000 units wouldn't make it "niche" to any company.

The 300, in its current "must-have" status, is only poised to sell about 120-140 in a year, which is well below the PT Cruiser's peak.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson+Jun 23 2004, 08:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hudson @ Jun 23 2004, 08:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-69nova@Jun 23 2004, 07:38 AM
...Unlike the PT, the 300 is not a niche (retro) vehicle that only caters to a small number of people....
How is the PT Cruiser a "niche" vehicle? They sell over 100,000 of them in the US alone each year. That makes it one of the most popular Chrysler-branded vehicles on the market (behind the Town & Country). Sales of a 100,000 units wouldn't make it "niche" to any company.

The 300, in its current "must-have" status, is only poised to sell about 120-140 in a year, which is well below the PT Cruiser's peak. [/b][/quote]
The Mustang is a niche vehicle, yet sells quite well, thank you. Just because it sells great doesn't mean it isn't a niche vehicle.

The Mustang, like the PT Cruiser, appeals to a certain group of people more than other vehicles. It serves a unique purpose for the owners, and for the company that makes it. Both have few competitors in their respective markets. I'm not entirely sure what market the PT Cruiser is classified as being for, because it's very unique. The Mustang could be defined as a pony car or muscle car, and while it does compete with the likes of the RX-8, 350Z, and Eclipse, it doesn't really lose much in the way of sales to those vehicles, because it still offers something that the others don't. And the overall market for such vehicles is still smaller than that for sedans, trucks, or SUVs.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Jun 23 2004, 12:38 PM
Unlike the PT, the 300 is not a niche (retro) vehicle that only caters to a small number of people.
The first time I saw the new Chrysler, I thought Rolls Royce styling. As I said, just because a car doesn't cost much, it doesn't have to be ugly.
I'm not so sure. I disliked the 300s styling initially, warmed up to it slightly after a while, but now am starting to think of it as a kartoon kar. It looks like something the gangsters in a remake of **** Tracy would drive. I don't know if that styling is destined to have a very long lifespan. It might make the 300 into a niche vehicle.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+Jun 22 2004, 07:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ Jun 22 2004, 07:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gonenuts15792@Jun 22 2004, 05:01 PM
The Hemi over rated.  I can't stand those damn Dodge commercial where the first thing they say it "Yeah, its got a Hemi."  When its not even a real Hemi like ab348 pointed out.
:rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
:angry:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by gonenuts15792+Jun 23 2004, 03:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gonenuts15792 @ Jun 23 2004, 03:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2004, 07:53 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-gonenuts15792
@Jun 22 2004, 05:01 PM
The Hemi over rated.  I can't stand those damn Dodge commercial where the first thing they say it "Yeah, its got a Hemi."  When its not even a real Hemi like ab348 pointed out.

:rolleyes:
:angry: [/b][/quote]
Ever driven one?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts