Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
800 HP...
Dual Twin Turbos...
RWD...
+250 mph...

THIS THING IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Chryslrer's new supercar, the ME 412, is unmatched by any American car makers. Quite possibly the world. Will Chrysler put this into production? Will Ford have a response to it? Will GM?

·
Registered
819 Posts
They'll never make it because it isn't practical for Chryslrer to build something like this. They have no background or experience in this market. There is also more to a "supercar" then a big engine and good looks. We don't know how this car would handle or if it could even go these speeds safely. Look at Buguite(forgive my spelling). They couldn't make the Veryome go as fast as they wanted it to so they limited it. The same would most likely happen here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've heard, Chrysler has been researching and developing this for many years now. They've said it has been tested. But the say alot of things.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Why you just write in the Complaint Line? Try to use other areas, as The Competition, this isn't a real complaint. :afro:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The guy who sponsored this car, Wolfgang Bernhard, was first transferred from DCX to run Mercedes and then was subsequently fired. Without him I doubt this car will see the light of day again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've heard from some guys that work there that its coming out as production within 2 years,, but it won't keep the same performance specks, i guess it was suppose to but they couldn't do it i dunno

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nine lives for Chrysler's ME Four-Twelve supercar; mules being tested

The Chrysler ME Four-Twelve supercar lives. For now, anyway. Eric Ridenour, executive vice president for product development for the Chrysler Group says mules are now being tested while the company examines the potential business case for a midengine quad-turbo V12 exotic wearing the winged badge. Press drives and road tests, he said, should come “within the calendar year.”

That’s a little later than we anticipated when the car was shown at Detroit in January (AW, Jan. 12), but Ridenour says “we’re right on schedule with the plan I developed with Wolfgang (Bernhard, former chief operating officer) before he left. There may have been some misunderstanding,” about what was meant when Bernhard said the car would be driveable in four months. “It is being driven now, but it’s not ready for press tests.”

Bernhard, former CEO of AMG, was COO of the Chrysler Group during development of the ME Four-Twelve. He has since been promoted, and then un-promoted, to head of the Mercedes-Benz Group, where he was due to replace Juergen Hubbert May 1. Instead, after Bernhard bucked chairman Juergen Schrempp’s authority, he saw the reins pulled from his hands. Although still a member of the DaimlerChrysler board, he has no job assignment and is expected to leave the company. Some speculated that the ME Four-Twelve’s strong association with the 43-year-old car guy—who once rode a motorbike powered by a Viper V10 onto the show stand at Detroit—might spell its demise. Ridenour says that’s not so.

“We’re going forward on the original plan, and it will stand or fall on its own merits.”

Ridenour says he has seen no sign of interference or objection to the project from the Mercedes-Benz side of the company, although the ME Four-Twelve—if it hits it design targets—would be faster than even the McLaren-built SLR. “That’s not one of our worries. We’re just looking at the things that go into a business case—how many could you sell for how much? There are people who buy cars like this to drive, some who buy them just because of the specification, the performance numbers, and others who buy them based only on the prestige of the badge on the nose, and we have to work out where we fall among those potential customers.”

Odds seem to be against its eventual production, but Chrysler could still earn some favorable recognition if it can demonstrate that the car meets its extraordinary performance goals, including a 0-60 mph time of under 3.0 seconds and a top speed of 240 mph and a quarter-mile time of 11.0 seconds flat, or better.

“With the kind of performance we’re aiming for, you really have to be careful,” Ridenour said. “We need to prove it out with mules and make sure it’s all solid before we offer the press a chance to drive it. Heck, I’m eager to drive it myself, but it’s not ready for that yet.”

·
Registered
739 Posts
Originally posted by venomous@Jun 3 2004, 09:47 AM
800 HP...
Dual Twin Turbos...
RWD...
+250 mph...

THIS THING IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Chryslrer's new supercar, the ME 412, is unmatched by any American car makers. Quite possibly the world. Will Chrysler put this into production? Will Ford have a response to it? Will GM?
umm... the 1000 horse Bugatti comes to mind immediately. And I would trust that car not to fly apart in the middle of a gear shift. Remember kids, Chrysler = No... ALWAYS.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i heard chrysler was testing the me 412 a lot, and that they want to make it. doesnt really mean theyre gunna make it. but i sure hope they do. sure beats that fugly cadillac super car concept, the cean or whatever

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Its a stupid idea, honestly. Its an irrespnsible waste of resources to build a limited prod supercar, especially when your barely turning profits and half your line up (Stratus, Sebring, Town and Country) deperately need redesign. thats not to say its not fast and exciting, but it just has no context in Chrysler. And stop calling it an "american" supercar. this thing is a Euro type exotic built by a German company - how is that American? Chrysler already has a supercar, its called Viper, and its as American as apple pie. i just don't see how this speaks for a brand trying to market itself as affordable American luxury. Furthermore, I must ask, why do cars like this appeal to people? It cost more money than most of us will make in several years of work - and don't start preaching Corvette to me, 45k is a whole different world than 250k. Anyway, hope you've enjoyed my rant.

·
Registered
222 Posts
crazeeman said:
i heard chrysler was testing the me 412 a lot, and that they want to make it. doesnt really mean theyre gunna make it. but i sure hope they do. sure beats that fugly cadillac super car concept, the cean or whatever
the CIEN would kill the me412 especially in the styling department

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Too bad it is a Mercedes-Benz engine. The only reason for this concept was to show off MB's superior technology in engines and what kind of power they're capable of producing.

Motortrend tested the ME-412, Engineers admitted it didn't make the 800+ ft lbs. of torque the concept had, it made more like 575 ft lbs. of torque. As for horsepower, MT said it there is no way the car they tested had 800+ horsepower.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Am I the only one that has no respect this car? It's a mercedes engine, with a mercedes powertrain, with a mercedes suspension. At least when Ford came out of the blue to make their car they used all their own parts. I think it's sad Chrysler would sell this.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The car is a dedicated super-car, it evoques no passion and treads in waters too deep for Chrysler. They need a swift kick and look at why the Viper worked and why Ford's GT now works (styling + performance + styling!). Besides, how does a million dollar car help a companies image unless that company is Ferrari????

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Oh Please...

You Honestly Believe that this:

is better looking than this!:

The Chrylser ME 412 is Futher PROOF that Cadillac should produce the gorgeous Cien, which IMO is the best looking A&S car ever!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
frenstall said:
The car is a dedicated super-car, it evoques no passion and treads in waters too deep for Chrysler. They need a swift kick and look at why the Viper worked and why Ford's GT now works (styling + performance + styling!). Besides, how does a million dollar car help a companies image unless that company is Ferrari????
Exactly, this is just a generic supercar. it has no connection to Chrysler in terms of styling, mechanics, history, or image. it almost seems like one of those "kit cars." overall i got no good vibes from it.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
if the me-412 does see production (however limited), it will be just the push caddy needs to build the Cein (or something alot like it). just like the mustang's success is the key to getting a new camaro, an american (on at least some level) supercar is just the stimuli caddy needs to show off its new V-12 in a proper manner

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
In response to TaHoE's post, absolutely because the ME-412 can exceed 50 m.p.h.
As for whether it will be built. If Chrysler can PROVE the performance numbers they claim, people will buy it because supercars are not about practicality, they are about bragging rights. Thats why the Mclaren F1 has become a household name, and why Ferrari has been chasing it for the last decade.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts