GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Chrysler Kills Durango and Aspen Hybrids

John O'Dell/ Insideline
Thursday, October 23, 2008

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Less than a year after unveiling the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango full-size hybrid SUVs and only two months into their full-scale production, Chrysler confirmed Thursday that it will discontinue the models with the just-announced closing of the Delaware plant where they are made.

But the company said it is moving ahead with plans to introduce a hybrid version of the full-size Dodge Ram pickup in calendar-year 2010.

"The demand for our full-size SUVs has really dropped off this year," Chrysler spokesman Scott Brown told Inside Line. "Even though we got significant orders for the hybrids, it doesn't make sense to keep the plant open for just the hybrids."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...py and paste it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Re: WHOA! Chrysler kills Aspen/Durango Hybrids

Yeah, this is in fact a WHOA thing.

Click HERE for the article - Inside Line

Looks like GM's still alone in the full-size hybrid SUVs. Here's to the coming Hybrid CKs!
It seems like the link is not a link to the article. At least its not what I got when I clicked on the link. I got a page from free price quotes for cars.

As to the topic, I think its kinda stupid.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I'm SHOCKED! I knew the plant was closing, but I thought it was just a temporary "inventory adjustment." They JUST issued press releases touting these hybrids!

Such craziness. Such absolute madness.

If anyone is taking bets on future collectibles, might I suggest the 2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid. It's to 2008 as was the Electro-jet fuel injection was to Chrysler Corp. cars in 1958.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm SHOCKED! I knew the plant was closing, but I thought it was just a temporary "inventory adjustment." They JUST issued press releases touting these hybrids!

Such craziness. Such absolute madness.

If anyone is taking bets on future collectibles, might I suggest the 2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid. It's to 2008 as was the Electro-jet fuel injection was to Chrysler Corp. cars in 1958.
As soon as I saw this headline, I thought of you right away, since it was just the other day you started a thread touting their fuel economy over the Tahoe/Yukon. Your reaction to this news was about what I expected. Actually, I respect your showing up in this thread. Lots of people would have tucked their tail between their legs and disappeared for a few days.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Well then, I guess it's a moot point that they get better fuel economy than the GM 2mode SUV's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Seems like everyone is shutting down their SUV plants. It's probably more to do with the ****ty economy and really tight credit than it is the gas prices at this point, either way I hope we'll see these again in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it just me? or are GM and Chrysler quietly removing product overlap between each other?

First GM announces Pontiac will be discontinuing its RWD programs so no new G8 or solstice. Now this? whats next? Maybe the Pontiac G5 or G6 a GM spec Caliber and/or Avenger could make an ok Pontiac.

Food for thought!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wow. Just wow. Has there ever been a car so short lived?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Is it just me? or are GM and Chrysler quietly removing product overlap between each other?

First GM announces Pontiac will be discontinuing its RWD programs so no new G8 or solstice. Now this? whats next? Maybe the Pontiac G5 or G6 a GM spec Caliber and/or Avenger could make an ok Pontiac.

Food for thought!
It is not just you. It sure seems to be like that. GMT360's are done, CUV vans are done, and Chrysler 2 mode SUV's are done. Another article says that Chrysler will be sold as one, I would think Nissan would want the hybrid plant ready to go for their benefits.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
That's really bad news for Chrysler. I feel really bad for their customers in the last few years who bought one of their cars because of the "lifetime" warranty.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

Food for thought!
In a way, it's really a shame. I understand that GM and Chrysler could well negotiate pre-merger product cuts (assuming this is actually what's taking place), but to give up the G8 and keep Charger? To me it makes more sense to fight tooth and nail for the better value (not to mention superior) product.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
It was reported that GM has only sold a couple thousand two-modes. This is like the least significant product overlap between the two companies.

This has more to do with the general death of the SUV. And the Durango being crap.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
This is an enabler for the merger. Another 6% of the blue collar force gets sent packing. Next up Chrysler needs to shed about 10,000 white collar workers to make GM's acquisition easier.

If Ram sales tank in the first two months, then the St. Louis plant will be next on the chopping block.

Dodge should go ahead and cancel the Nitro too and let the Liberty pick up most of those sales and marketing dollars.

PT Cruiser, Sebring, your're next!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts