Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D91I0HMG4.htm

Chrysler denies bankruptcy talk, welcomes Iacocca

By DAVID N. GOODMAN
MORE FROM BUSINESSWEEK

AUBURN HILLS, Mich.

Faced with persistent speculation that it was planning to file for bankruptcy protection, Chrysler LLC on Thursday issued a statement denying the rumor and saying it has plenty of cash.

The denial came on the same day the company welcomed ex-Chairman Lee Iacocca back into its fold with a rally with employees at its Auburn Hills headquarters. The 83-year-old Iacocca said the automaker would survive its current woes, just as it did when he helped save it from bankruptcy in the early 1980s.

·
Registered
906 Posts
WTF is a 83 year old man gonna bring to the table? Are they gonna roll him out at plant pep rallies like a mascot?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well then can't wait to see what comes out of this.
Probably a cheap small car thats great on gas. Although, they are nowhere near as bad off as they were in the 80's. They have so many future analysts that the company(s) make moves long before anyone on any message board can speculate.

(whens the last time someone from a board speculated and was correct?)

Exactly.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
My hope would be for Iacocca to return to Chrysler as their CEO even for just a few years. Nardelli needs to be kicked out on his ass. I am very sure that Iacocca could turn Chrysler around again.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My hope would be for Iacocca to return to Chrysler as their CEO even for just a few years. Nardelli needs to be kicked out on his ass. I am very sure that Iacocca could turn Chrysler around again.
If he is hanging around, I am sure he's doing a bit of consulting at this point. Gotta remember, they are private so they don't have to say anything.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
(whens the last time someone from a board speculated and was correct?)
I've been with GM, so uhhh it happens. But by the time the speculation was made, GM probably already had the descision made. And I'm not just here to toot my own horn, I'm not the only one. But with all the spculation going on, most people are wrong more often than not. And usually it's not speculation, it's more like "I think they should..." and sometimes they just do.

Back on Chrysler, I heard last night on the radio that 70% of their sales depend on light trucks...they're pretty screwed unless that changes soon.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Back on Chrysler, I heard last night on the radio that 70% of their sales depend on light trucks...they're pretty screwed unless that changes soon.
Their two biggest sellers are the Ram Truck and the minivans, both classified as trucks. Add in the Jeep brand, which constitutes a large portion of the remaining sales and you're left with 200k LXs (not including the Magnums, which are "trucks"), about 200k Sebring/Avengers, Calibers (if they're even classifed as cars), and Vipers.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The Phoenix V6 family, combined with a thoroughly overhauled Sebring/Avenger should help.......but those seem to be a long ways off still and one would have to wonder how long Chrysler could hold out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts