GM Inside News Forum banner

Chrysler Hybrid SUVs Rated by EPA at 20/22 MPG: More HP & MPGs than GM Hybrids

4K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  69Firebird400 
#1 · (Edited)
Chrysler Hybrid SUVs Rated by EPA at 20/22 MPG
Date posted: 10-20-2008

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Chrysler said its 2009 Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen hybrids have been rated by the EPA at 20 mpg in city driving and 22 on the highway. The hybrid 4x4s, which arrive at dealerships this fall, are priced starting at $45,890 (Durango) and $46,120 (Aspen).

Chrysler's 4x4 hybrid SUVs get better EPA highway numbers than the rival Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 Hybrid, which is rated at 20/20 city/highway and is priced at $54,210. The 4x2 Tahoe Hybrid ratings are 21/22; the base sticker is $51,405.

Combined output is 400 horsepower, with 380 pound-feet of torque.

Inside Line says: Chrysler says its hybrid-SUV buyers are eligible for tax credits of up to $2,200. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent

Full Article

Press Release:

Most Powerful Hybrid SUVs Now Offer Best-in-Class Fuel Economy

-Official EPA Fuel Economy Ratings Announced for 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango Hybrids: Best-in-Class 20 city/22 highway
-Chrysler and Dodge hybrid SUVs boast fuel economy improvement of more than 53 percent in city, 40 percent overall; offer better city fuel economy than a V-6 Honda Accord
-Most powerful hybrid SUVs with 400 horsepower
-Full-size SUVs deliver rare blend of fuel economy, utility, capability and performance
-Customers can expect a tax credit of up to $2,200

Auburn Hills, Mich., Oct 16, 2008 - Yeah, it’s gotta HEMI® Hybrid. And best-in-class fuel economy, too.

Official EPA fuel economy numbers for the 2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid and Dodge Durango Hybrid are 20 city and 22 highway, achieving best-in-class fuel economy ratings for a full-size 4x4 SUV.

Chrysler LLC’s first production hybrids are coupled with the renowned 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine with fuel-saving Multi-Displacement System (MDS) technology. Total output, when combined with the advanced two-mode hybrid system, is 400 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque – the most powerful hybrid SUVs.

The Chrysler Aspen Hybrid and Dodge Durango Hybrid are priced nearly $8,000 below the competition. Additionally, customers can expect a tax credit of up to $2,200.

“Our new 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango hybrids deliver best-in-class fuel economy of up to 22 miles per gallon—an improvement of more than 53 percent in the city and 40 percent overall,” said Frank Klegon, Executive Vice President – Product Development, Chrysler LLC. “This unique combination of value, fuel economy, performance and capability gives SUV owners a no-compromise hybrid alternative.”

Capable of towing 6,000 lbs., 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango hybrid vehicles deliver seamless, dependable power and performance on demand, in an efficient package. With an electrically variable transmission—featuring the best characteristics of an automatic transmission and hybrid drive—and two different hybrid modes of operation, the drive system dramatically improves fuel economy around town and at highway speeds.

The 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango hybrids are built at the Newark Assembly Plant in Delaware. The new 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango Hybrids arrive in showrooms this year.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=8295&mid=31

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Re: Chrysler Hybrid SUVs Rated by EPA at 20/22 MPG: More HP & MPGs than GM Hybrids

Cheaper, more power, and better fuel economy than the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids? That's quite the trifecta.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Re: Chrysler Hybrid SUVs Rated by EPA at 20/22 MPG: More HP & MPGs than GM Hybrids

According to www.fueleconomy.gov, the Yukon Hybrid is rated at 21/22.

In my math, that beats 20/22 every time.
But they only come in 4wd?
So...they cant claim better when Tahoe Hybrid 2wd gets 21/31 right?
Tahoe 2wd gets 31MPG!!??

Yes, they can claim better. 20/22 is better than 20/20. There's no 2wd version to compare to GM's 2wd version, so it's unfair/unscientific to compare a 4wd to a 2wd when there's no basis for comparison.

And, anyway: 400hp!

Discussion starter · #8 ·

Same old, same old. The Hemi wasn't stole. Some GM engineer 4 years ago makes a snarky comment about some internal similarity between the LS and Hemi engines and now every GM Fanboy with hurt pride is calling the Hemi a rip off.

And now, "Hybrids aren't about performance, its about fuel economy." This one has both. More power and more MPGs, and you still take issue??

Discussion starter · #10 ·

I'm not sure but last I looked the Tahoe was a bigger, heavier vehicle, so it would be obvious that the smaller vehicle would have an advantage.
If Edmunds is correct, then the Tahoe Hybrid is LIGHTER than the Durango Hybrid (remember all of the money GM threw at it to lighten the vehicle?)

Durango Hybrid: 5,609 lbs.
Tahoe Hybrid: 5,527 lbs.

Source: Edmunds.com

Discussion starter · #12 ·

Yeah, but that means some poor SOB has to drive the ugly cheap thing! Look at the interiors in the Durango/Aspen and then in the Tahoe/Yukon and then make the assessment. They also fail to mention that the Tahoe/Yukon twins are bigger in size and weigh more. That explains the gas mileage difference clearly and it isn't even that much of a difference!

The only thing I don't understand is why GM didn't put more power in their Hybrid SUVs. That is where they are suffering, especially the Escalade Hybrid!

You couldn't pay me to drive a butt ugly Chrysler or Ford product! They just don't make nice vehicles like GM does! Just my opinion.
But they're not heavier. Did you not read the post above yours?

And for $8,000 difference, I'd hope the interiors would be better.

Discussion starter · #26 ·

Yeah, but you forgot styling. And 1-2MPG really isn't that much, the Price is the shocker part of the scenario.
1-2 MPG's is EVERYTHING in this segment. Hybrids are all about the MPG numbers, and 1-2 MPG allows Chrysler to say they have the best. When you're talking about 20 vs 22mpg, that's a 10% improvement, which would be the same as the Prius going from 50mpg to 55mpg. It's fairly significant, especially when you consider how much fuel these brutes burn. 10% is a lot less money spent on fillups, a lot less pollutants in the air, and a lot less oil that needs to be pumped out of the ground. Heck, GM applaudes themselves for saving 0.5mpg on the Tahoe hybrid by switching to electric power steering. And you're dismissing 2 miles per gallon?

Discussion starter · #28 ·

says the mopar fan boy
Does that serve anything? Does your response serve as an educated, evidence-supported counterpoint? No, it doesn't nothing but show you don't have anything relevant to say.

Are we really going to try and pull fan credentials? You have a Mustang and had an Isuzu? Really? I haven't purchased a Chrysler in 4 years, and have bought three GM products since. Yet, I'm a Mopar fan boy? Do you even know what a fan boy is? I'd only have Chryslers if I thought they were the super special most awesomeest carmaker that ever was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.