GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chrysler Hybrid SUVs Rated by EPA at 20/22 MPG
Date posted: 10-20-2008

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Chrysler said its 2009 Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen hybrids have been rated by the EPA at 20 mpg in city driving and 22 on the highway. The hybrid 4x4s, which arrive at dealerships this fall, are priced starting at $45,890 (Durango) and $46,120 (Aspen).

Chrysler's 4x4 hybrid SUVs get better EPA highway numbers than the rival Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 Hybrid, which is rated at 20/20 city/highway and is priced at $54,210. The 4x2 Tahoe Hybrid ratings are 21/22; the base sticker is $51,405.

Combined output is 400 horsepower, with 380 pound-feet of torque.

Inside Line says: Chrysler says its hybrid-SUV buyers are eligible for tax credits of up to $2,200. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent

Full Article

Press Release:

Most Powerful Hybrid SUVs Now Offer Best-in-Class Fuel Economy

-Official EPA Fuel Economy Ratings Announced for 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango Hybrids: Best-in-Class 20 city/22 highway
-Chrysler and Dodge hybrid SUVs boast fuel economy improvement of more than 53 percent in city, 40 percent overall; offer better city fuel economy than a V-6 Honda Accord
-Most powerful hybrid SUVs with 400 horsepower
-Full-size SUVs deliver rare blend of fuel economy, utility, capability and performance
-Customers can expect a tax credit of up to $2,200

Auburn Hills, Mich., Oct 16, 2008 - Yeah, it’s gotta HEMI® Hybrid. And best-in-class fuel economy, too.

Official EPA fuel economy numbers for the 2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid and Dodge Durango Hybrid are 20 city and 22 highway, achieving best-in-class fuel economy ratings for a full-size 4x4 SUV.

Chrysler LLC’s first production hybrids are coupled with the renowned 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine with fuel-saving Multi-Displacement System (MDS) technology. Total output, when combined with the advanced two-mode hybrid system, is 400 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque – the most powerful hybrid SUVs.

The Chrysler Aspen Hybrid and Dodge Durango Hybrid are priced nearly $8,000 below the competition. Additionally, customers can expect a tax credit of up to $2,200.

“Our new 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango hybrids deliver best-in-class fuel economy of up to 22 miles per gallon—an improvement of more than 53 percent in the city and 40 percent overall,” said Frank Klegon, Executive Vice President – Product Development, Chrysler LLC. “This unique combination of value, fuel economy, performance and capability gives SUV owners a no-compromise hybrid alternative.”

Capable of towing 6,000 lbs., 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango hybrid vehicles deliver seamless, dependable power and performance on demand, in an efficient package. With an electrically variable transmission—featuring the best characteristics of an automatic transmission and hybrid drive—and two different hybrid modes of operation, the drive system dramatically improves fuel economy around town and at highway speeds.

The 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango hybrids are built at the Newark Assembly Plant in Delaware. The new 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango Hybrids arrive in showrooms this year.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=8295&mid=31

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Chrysler Hybrid SUVs Rated by EPA at 20/22 MPG: More HP & MPGs than GM Hybrids

Cheaper, more power, and better fuel economy than the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids? That's quite the trifecta.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Re: Chrysler Hybrid SUVs Rated by EPA at 20/22 MPG: More HP & MPGs than GM Hybrids

I'm surprised by all of that. Wow.

To be fair, unless Chrysler upgrades the interior the GM Tahoe and Yukon hybrids have three advantages. They're slightly more spacious (if I remember right), can tow more, and have a more luxurious interior.

Still, I'm impressed. It seems like Chrysler has its V8 engine lineup pretty competitive. It's a shame their 4-cylinder and V6 power and economy are behind the ball. They may not last long enough for the Phoenix V6s to change that.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts

But they only come in 4wd?
So...they cant claim better when Tahoe Hybrid 2wd gets 21/31 right?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

According to www.fueleconomy.gov, the Yukon Hybrid is rated at 21/22.

In my math, that beats 20/22 every time.
But they only come in 4wd?
So...they cant claim better when Tahoe Hybrid 2wd gets 21/31 right?
Tahoe 2wd gets 31MPG!!??

Yes, they can claim better. 20/22 is better than 20/20. There's no 2wd version to compare to GM's 2wd version, so it's unfair/unscientific to compare a 4wd to a 2wd when there's no basis for comparison.

And, anyway: 400hp!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts

Who cares? Hybrids arent about performance, its about economy.
I will applaud Chrysler for using GM designed hyrbid system, and putting it behind an engine that was stolen from GM to develop the hemi engine, from a company that will soon be part of GM.
Durango is still ugly as sin and horrible interiors can never make up for 2mpg in my mind
/gmfanboi

Sorry, I did not put down the right milage, it is 22mpg highway.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Same old, same old. The Hemi wasn't stole. Some GM engineer 4 years ago makes a snarky comment about some internal similarity between the LS and Hemi engines and now every GM Fanboy with hurt pride is calling the Hemi a rip off.

And now, "Hybrids aren't about performance, its about fuel economy." This one has both. More power and more MPGs, and you still take issue??

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

I'm not sure but last I looked the Tahoe was a bigger, heavier vehicle, so it would be obvious that the smaller vehicle would have an advantage.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm not sure but last I looked the Tahoe was a bigger, heavier vehicle, so it would be obvious that the smaller vehicle would have an advantage.
If Edmunds is correct, then the Tahoe Hybrid is LIGHTER than the Durango Hybrid (remember all of the money GM threw at it to lighten the vehicle?)

Durango Hybrid: 5,609 lbs.
Tahoe Hybrid: 5,527 lbs.

Source: Edmunds.com

·
Registered
235 Posts

Yeah, but that means some poor SOB has to drive the ugly cheap thing! Look at the interiors in the Durango/Aspen and then in the Tahoe/Yukon and then make the assessment. They also fail to mention that the Tahoe/Yukon twins are bigger in size and weigh more. That explains the gas mileage difference clearly and it isn't even that much of a difference!

The only thing I don't understand is why GM didn't put more power in their Hybrid SUVs. That is where they are suffering, especially the Escalade Hybrid!

You couldn't pay me to drive a butt ugly Chrysler or Ford product! They just don't make nice vehicles like GM does! Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yeah, but that means some poor SOB has to drive the ugly cheap thing! Look at the interiors in the Durango/Aspen and then in the Tahoe/Yukon and then make the assessment. They also fail to mention that the Tahoe/Yukon twins are bigger in size and weigh more. That explains the gas mileage difference clearly and it isn't even that much of a difference!

The only thing I don't understand is why GM didn't put more power in their Hybrid SUVs. That is where they are suffering, especially the Escalade Hybrid!

You couldn't pay me to drive a butt ugly Chrysler or Ford product! They just don't make nice vehicles like GM does! Just my opinion.
But they're not heavier. Did you not read the post above yours?

And for $8,000 difference, I'd hope the interiors would be better.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts

I am always surprised at how close minded some folks can be. Why can't we be happy for Chrysler/Dodge that they used a hybrid powertrain that was co-deveoloped by GM to achieve better mileage than the Tahoe. People love to criticize the Durango/Aspen - but I personally like the Aspen. The interior isn't that bad, and as others have said - it is much cheaper - I would hope the interior of the Yukon/Tahoe is better!

The Aspen is luxurious, gets better gas mileage and is significantly cheaper to buy...so where is the down side? Not to mention the fact that the third row folds flat into the floor! Also, I like the fact that the Aspen still looks like a regular production Aspen. I don't like the front end and smaller wheels of the GM Hybrid SUVs.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts

Of course he didn't. People love to bash other brands here even when GM doesn't measure up. Some people blindly praise GM when clearly they are not the best in every area.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

If Edmunds is correct, then the Tahoe Hybrid is LIGHTER than the Durango Hybrid (remember all of the money GM threw at it to lighten the vehicle?)

Durango Hybrid: 5,609 lbs.
Tahoe Hybrid: 5,527 lbs.

Source: Edmunds.com
According to Chevrolets web site the 2wd is 5615 lbs, and 4wd is 5845 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts

Same old, same old. The Hemi wasn't stole. Some GM engineer 4 years ago makes a snarky comment about some internal similarity between the LS and Hemi engines and now every GM Fanboy with hurt pride is calling the Hemi a rip off.

Actually, there's something to that. It's a known fact that early protoypes of the Hemi used GM LS1 exhaust manifolds. I know it's not a smoking gun, but it's quite curious. Also, the bore spacing of both engines is nearly identical at 4.4 & 4.46. Again, not definitive evidence, but is it a coincidence?

·
Registered
15,633 Posts

Oh yea, there really just might be - you have to go back in time into the 90s way before the Hemi was introduced.

Big clue.

MB paid GM 465 million - for what engine that was built for what purpose and had what architecture ?

In some ways (only) its possible that its a partially similar situation to the original Chevy small block story - which was originally designed and developed by Oldsmobile's separate engineering group as a much cheaper, and smaller ( and inferior ) Rocket V8.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts

vanshmack said:
Actually, there's something to that. It's a known fact that early protoypes of the Hemi used GM LS1 exhaust manifolds. I know it's not a smoking gun, but it's quite curious. Also, the bore spacing of both engines is nearly identical at 4.4 & 4.46. Again, not definitive evidence, but is it a coincidence?
I'd be astonished if all of the automakers do not examine each other's engines in precise detail and borrow every good idea that isn't covered by a patent.

It's not like Chrysler can decide they're going to make an OHV V8 with the valves on the crankshaft, the air intake wrapped around the engine four times like a garden hose, and the oil pan on the left side of the engine.

The Hemi was going to be a pushrod V8 often used in pickup trucks - it was bound to be very similar to the GM smallblock. On the other hand, the Hemi and the LS1 have different torque curves, so at least something is different.

·
Registered
812 Posts

I think you're right. The Tahoe (and Expedition) are both bigger than the Durango & Aspen.

Chrysler, I think, had been asked by consumers to make a true full-size SUV to really compete with the Tahoe. Think Ram SUV here then. But Chrysler/Dodge contended that their "spot" in the middle of the bunch --- not really mid-sized, but not huge --- added to a unique brand character among their competitors. That's why the Commander & Grd Cherokee are the sized the way they are...they're larger than the small SUVs, but not as bulky as the full-size offerings. It makes sense that they'd get slightly better fuel consumption figures with basically the same type of hybrid powertrain that GM is using.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts

Add a better ride and handling combination as well as steering to that list.

I've driven both, and 'like' both and think the two firms have done a nice job of positioning themselves away from each other.

Matter of fact, we have two younger families over here each of which is considering one or the other if you are willing to count the Escalade as well.

Considering them all as group, none appear to offer an ultimate objective superiority - they're different and even at current pricing for each that holds up as well.

If you feel differently, that's really more about your subjective opinions than anything else - and there is nothing wrong with that either - its 'your' money - and 'your' choice.

You get to pay more with Gmc and Cadillac - and you get more although its somewhat of a plus 4 minus 1 kinda' deal.

They're all good and all worth consideration.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts