GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Cadillac DTS is a full-size car and the Mercedes E-Class platform (midsize) is beneath the Chrysler 300 - but since the 300 is about the same size as the Cadillac DTS.... Than why not convert the Chrysler 300 into a new rear wheel drive STS/DTS replacement?

I think it would make an excellent full-size luxury car for Cadillac. As it stands, it's RWD, big and FAR more powerful than the current STS (non-V) and DTS. Not only that, it's SQUAREish and it actually looks good. I don't think the DTS would look all that bad with EXTREMELY minor changes to the sides and a "Cadillac"esque front and rear...

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Cadillac should be so lucky to have the 300C as a DTS replacement.

A gorgeous 360 Horsepower RWD flagship sedan is just what Cadillac needs. Swap out the 5-speed for a 6L80E or what have you, stretch the back to get a bigger trunk, and Cadillac would have the car it's been missing since the Johnson Administration.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
That's the idea - and yes this kind of combining could really work - for both.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This would also be an easy way to get the "L" LWB model out the door. I've "heard" of a DTL-L but I've SEEN a 300C-L.. So I know know where Cadillac is with a LWB. The 300C-L may have been after market. But apparently, it works.. This would really fix the DTS for Cadillac. heck, they could redesign the entire car and just use the underpinnings and drive train for a serious advantage over the current DTS.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
This would also be an easy way to get the "L" LWB model out the door. I've "heard" of a DTL-L but I've SEEN a 300C-L.. So I know know where Cadillac is with a LWB. The 300C-L may have been after market. But apparently, it works.. This would really fix the DTS for Cadillac. heck, they could redesign the entire car and just use the underpinnings and drive train for a serious advantage over the current DTS.
It's not aftermarket, in the traditional sense. Chrysler ships out 300 Tourings and 300Cs to get lengthened, and then Chrysler sells them through the dealers. It's called the Walter P. Chrysler Executive Series, and you can build one just as you can any other 300 on Chrysler's website. It adds about $10,000 to the MSRP. Though, for '09, they may have changed it to just 300C models.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not aftermarket, in the traditional sense. Chrysler ships out 300 Tourings and 300Cs to get lengthened, and then Chrysler sells them through the dealers. It's called the Walter P. Chrysler Executive Series, and you can build one just as you can any other 300 on Chrysler's website. It adds about $10,000 to the MSRP. Though, for '09, they may have changed it to just 300C models.
Thank you. Okay, well there you have it. Now Cadillac has it's DTS-L..

The styling of the Chrysler 300 is excellent.. It needs to stick around in one form or another. I feel the Cadillac DTS should use as many of it's styling cues as possible because it's a winning design. Minor updates are all it needs. Subtle changes to the sides, major "Cadillac" updates to the front and rear.

The interior would be completely overhauled...

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
???????????

The platform that underpins the 300 is almost as old as Sigma. Why spend all that money when GM already has a RWD platform?

This just doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
???????????

The platform that underpins the 300 is almost as old as Sigma. Why spend all that money when GM already has a RWD platform?

This just doesn't make any sense to me.
Agreed 100%!! I would hate to think Cadillac would trade the DTS for a heavy beast of a car at a dying company that is having a hard time selling. If you are going to take business from Mercedes you are going to have to bring something better or same/cheaper.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
There are so many ways all this could go - good or bad if executed.

Its difficult and long to put it all down into words but the concepts are not so hard.

One of those that matters is the kind of developmental dovetailing you are suggesting - or at least sharing along the same lines as they go forward - that's where this two could make something happen better than most other pairings.

Its sounding less likely day by day - we shall see.

Contrary to what seems to be the more popular view Chrysler definitely brings some really good things to the table as does GM - and that's not just about platforms and the other obvious stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Agreed 100%!! I would hate to think Cadillac would trade the DTS for a heavy beast of a car at a dying company that is having a hard time selling. If you are going to take business from Mercedes you are going to have to bring something better or same/cheaper.
The weight differential is only about 50lbs or so. So if the 300C is a heavy beast, so then is the DTS. At least with the 300C you get 360hp v. 292, 5-speed auto vs 4-speed, and 390lb-ft v. 288. And let's not forget it's RWD.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
i'd say keep the 300.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
they have already announced that there going to redesign it.

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
I know the Cadillac DTS is a full-size car and the Mercedes E-Class platform (midsize) is beneath the Chrysler 300 - but since the 300 is about the same size as the Cadillac DTS.... Than why not convert the Chrysler 300 into a new rear wheel drive STS/DTS replacement?

I think it would make an excellent full-size luxury car for Cadillac. As it stands, it's RWD, big and FAR more powerful than the current STS (non-V) and DTS. Not only that, it's SQUAREish and it actually looks good. I don't think the DTS would look all that bad with EXTREMELY minor changes to the sides and a "Cadillac"esque front and rear...

Any thoughts?
Sal, the 300 should not be considered an E Class.

The E Class wheel base is just over 112 inches. The 300/Charger sports a 120 inch wheel base. The main thing that is common between the two is the AWD drivetrain which is being changed for 2010.
Shoot, the DTS wheelbase is closer to the E Class.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts

The E Class wheel base is just over 112 inches. The 300/Charger sports a 120 inch wheel base. The main thing that is common between the two is the AWD drivetrain which is being changed for 2010.
It was changed for 2009

·
Registered
15,633 Posts

Much of the old tooling for the previous gen was used so its somewhat of a tweener ie its a stretched updated, highly modified, and Americanized product derived from a previous gen E class.

E class product also used to offer at least from time to time stretched wheelbase variants ( non USA ) - I think approx. 116 was the usual max.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts