GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnbc.com/id/24985043/site/14081545?__source=yahoo|headline|quote|text|&par=yahoo

They finally did it! After years of trailing the Asian automakers when it comes to assembly plant efficiency, one of the Big 3 has finally caught Toyota.

It's a major achievement Chrysler should rightfully be proud of. But it also highlights the next challenge for them, as well as GM and Ford: closing the "perception gap."

First, here's the good news for the Big 3 on assembly plant efficiency.

Credit the execs in Detroit and the UAW for making these improvements. After years of reports about the union workers being the problem with the decline of the Big 3, those workers deserve credit for working to make their company's more efficient.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The problem with the big 3 is still the high hourly wage, healthcare, and pension costs. Once the employees who take the buyouts are replaced, the Big 3 should start being profitable, if only by the slimest of margins.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Good for Chrysler! Now if they can keep quality up and get some popular products, they should be in a better position.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
How? A FWD I-4 Caliber gets only 29 highway, an I4 Sebring/Avenger gets 30 highway. And then you have Rams, Aspens, Durangos etc. Even the V6 Sebring/Avenger are relatively thirsty. I don't know how these averages are calculated, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that Chrysler would tie Toyota in this area.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
How? A FWD I-4 Caliber gets only 29 highway, an I4 Sebring/Avenger gets 30 highway. And then you have Rams, Aspens, Durangos etc. Even the V6 Sebring/Avenger are relatively thirsty. I don't know how these averages are calculated, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that Chrysler would tie Toyota in this area.
Read the thread. It is plant efficiency, i.e. number of man-hours and such required to build a car.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Tom LaSorda, Chrysler Vice Chairman, is a highly regarded manufacturing expert. Apparently is efforts, along with the efforts of the rest of his manufacturing team, are paying off. He spent his early career at General Motors. Chrysler also recruited two other top manufacturing executives who perceded LaSorda from General Motors, Dennis Pawley and Richard Dauch. Going further back, K. T. Keller and Walter P. Chrysler came from General Motors.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Reading...it's in you to use....

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Oy vay, and you're an attorney? Dude, I feel embarassed for you.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
R.I.F.

(For those of you who did NOT grow up in the 70's, that's "Reading Is Fundamental")

Typical response, though. Why be bothered with actually reading the article when you can pounce on the headline. You don't work for FoxNews, by any chance? Or Matt Drudge? Hmmm? ;)

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Problem is - consumers don't care about plant efficiency...
Your right. Consumers really only care what the plant is building. Last time I ordered a car from the factory it took 6 weeks for me to get it. I didn't care if took them 30.7 hours or 130.7 hours to build it.

More important it is scary to see the $$ per vehicle loss GM, Ford and Chrysler have per vehicle. YIKES!

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Tom LaSorda, Chrysler Vice Chairman, is a highly regarded manufacturing expert. Apparently is efforts, along with the efforts of the rest of his manufacturing team, are paying off. He spent his early career at General Motors. Chrysler also recruited two other top manufacturing executives who perceded LaSorda from General Motors, Dennis Pawley and Richard Dauch. Going further back, K. T. Keller and Walter P. Chrysler came from General Motors.
Interesting point you mention, there a sort of parallel with Lasorda, Dennis Pawley and Richard Dauch with KT Keller and Walter P.Chrysler. Could history might repeat?

We could add to the list Charlie Nash creator of Nash motors (who'll later merge with Hudson to form AMC who later will be acquired by Chrysler) who also came from GM. And then Jim Press who was a former Toyota executive.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Good news is always welcome even if it doesn't mean much to most car buying folks...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
the only problem with this is that even if Chrysler was beating Toyota by 20 hours to build a car, they're still turning out crap. just like Rocket 88 said, consumers only care what is being built, not how quickly. until Chrysler's vehicles are worth a damn, they're going nowhere, it doesn't matter how fast they can build a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts