GM Inside News Forum banner

Chrysler: Chery exports not ready for US

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  SUPERBADD75 
#1 ·
By ELAINE KURTENBACH, AP Business Writer Sun Apr 20, 4:58 AM ET

BEIJING - Chrysler LLC's talks on a possible joint venture with China's Chery Automobile Co. are progressing but a China-made car being produced by the alliance is not ready for the U.S. market, Chrysler executives said Sunday.

Chery is among several potential partners Chrysler is considering as it prepares to ramp up local production with the aim of joining the ranks of China's top 10 automakers, said Phil Murtaugh, chief executive of Chrysler's Asia operations.

"We have no progress to report, but we really are satisfied with those discussions," Murtaugh told reporters at the Beijing auto show.
Chery and Chrysler made a "strategic cooperation agreement" last year to produce a low-cost vehicle to be sold under Chrysler's Dodge brand in the United States and other markets.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080420/ap_on_bi_ge/china_auto_show_chrysler

#2 ·
Not a surprise after seeing the crash tests for Chinese built cars. If those tests show anything, its that most of those cheap Chinese cars will fold up badly in a collision.

#4 ·
I will agree with the above post that Chrysler would be better served receiving subcompacts from other automakers. Thankfully Nissan joined forces with them and has offered to give Chrysler/Dodge a version of the Versa to those in South America (and hopefully North America as well). I would much rather purchase that over a Chinese-made car. Not to say the Chinese do not make good products-just not very safe cars.

#5 ·
I hate the idea of buying something that supports a communist country that gives no equal rights and freedom to their people. (But it's hard when EVERY electronic device is made there =[ )

So, I am not for this, I hope the cars aren't ever ready.

#6 ·
I find it interesting that the Chinese have trouble with crash test of their cars, (do they not have accidents in China, or doesn't it matter?) And I also wonder how Buick of China does as far as crash-worthiness. Does Buick promote that they had 5 stars for everything, but nobody really cares?

#8 ·
Anybody suspected anything else? Did you really expect Chrysler to bring Chery cars to the US? They were just looking for a cheap replacement for the rebadged Hyundais they sell as Dodge small cars in Latin America.

BTW, do you know that GM sells the terribly outdated and poorly assembled Chinese-made Chevrolet Sail in Chile?

#10 · (Edited)
IMO Chrysler needs to stick with the Nissan hook up and screw Chery! I can't think of a better way to completely destroy a companys reputation than to hook up with the sub par company that cant pass a crash test and steals all of their techonlogy.
Scraw that!~

~Side note~
I don't think China as a whole is the problem as far as the crash test thing goes, it's the substandard Chery and other china owned companies that don't try to maintain the safety codes and quality engineering.

#12 ·
I think it is reasonable to expect the first vehicles imported from China to be problematic at best. At worst they'll be toxic (like their toys) and maybe somewhat fatal (like their tires). If/when this happens it can only further damage Chrysler's reputation.

The Chrysler - Mitsubishi hookup worked for a while and a Chrysler - Nissan partnership has potential, but importing cars from China seems like trouble.

#14 ·
China can't even properly manufacture toothpaste, pet food, or even a simple nail. There is no way I would ever trust China to properly manufacture something as complex as a car with any kind of quality. I'm really getting sick of poor Chinese product quality, that I'm now almost forced to buy as there is often nothing else available made anywhere else.

#15 ·
sorry Chery, but it's alreay a bit too hard to find something in this country that's NOT made in China. i don't think we need to have junky Chinese cars over here too. i would like to see more American products on the shelves of the stores i shop at. if we could just all agree to work at reasonable rates per our jobs, and drop all the union b/s (from all unions), i think we could bring jobs back here. i'd much rather have a quality American product for $12 versus a cheap one for $8. same goes for their cars, they can keep them, i don't care what name is on the trunk.

#19 ·
probably failed just like all other Bricklin hairball schemes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.