GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,660 Posts
Sounds more like duplicated costs.

Dodge already has the Durango, Ram will slide right back into the fold with no issue.

Doesn't "Dodge Ram" just sound right? :D
Yes, call it what ever you want so to speak but.... It's still really just a Dodge by another name.

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
Ok...fine, by killing off Chrysler you're exiting the minivan segment, sure means nothing to you, but there is still a market for minivans...is that something they really want to do? Because you get rid of Chrysler, what do you badge/design the Pacifica/Voyager as? a Dodge? a Jeep? a Ram? You want to sell a mainstream non performance centered EV, you need Chrysler for it to fit somewhere...or do you really want to badge an American EV as a Lancia? Only if you want it to fail.

You kill off Dodge...that means you're exiting the mainstream Performance segment...or are you going to sell Alfas and Maseratis to Americans to replace their Hellcats and ScatPacks? We all saw how well that's working out.

Jeep/Ram, Jeep is fine as is Ram, who cares if its a Dodge Ram or a Ram Ram...the branding there will change nothing with the actual product...so what is the point of changing it back to Dodge from Ram?

But TBH the CEOs remarks, I truly don't believe were aimed specifically at the American brands...It was more directed towards the redundancy of DS, Peugeot, Lancia, Opel, Vauxhaul...those all sell the same type of vehicles in teh same segments, that's your overlap and where you need your brands to establish their identity...the US brands, they all have their identity and an established/working business model.

I mentioned dealer activity earlier...in 2019 the DJCR dealership network moved 2.1M cars +/- between 2408 dealerships...Chevrolet moved 1.9M between 3,000 dealerships...and Ford/Lincoln moved 2.4M between 3000+ dealerships, which looks more successful? as a Dealer which would you rather run?
That's kind of the way I'm seeing it. The American brands are established here and doing reasonably good. It's the rest of that hodge podge they own that have the issues. Fix all that and if needs be that the US has need of something in that other mix, adapt it and bring it possibly.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Yes, call it what ever you want so to speak but.... It's still rally just a Dodge by another name.
Exactly, call it whatever you want...it changes NOTHING, it's still going to sell out of the same dealership, look the same, have the same engines, etc...only thing is that it'll have a Ram on the hood instead of a...checks badge on Magnum - a Ram.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
That's kind of the way I'm seeing it. The American brands are established here and doing reasonably good. It's the rest of that hodge podge they own that have the issues. Fix all that and if needs be that the US has need of something in that other mix, adapt it and bring it possibly.
Its the same way anyone who isn't "brand-kill happy" sees it.

·
Registered
44,169 Posts
Ok...fine, by killing off Chrysler you're exiting the minivan segment, sure means nothing to you, but there is still a market for minivans...is that something they really want to do? Because you get rid of Chrysler, what do you badge/design the Pacifica/Voyager as? a Dodge? a Jeep? a Ram? You want to sell a mainstream non performance centered EV, you need Chrysler for it to fit somewhere...or do you really want to badge an American EV as a Lancia? Only if you want it to fail.
A minivan that sells 80,000 units annually is not worth the billions Fiat-Chrysler and Stellantis have pumped into Chrysler.
Look... if Chrysler still had 200, 300, Le Baron, Pacifica, Town & Country, and Imperial.... then we can make an argument.
But it doesn't.

You kill off Dodge...that means you're exiting the mainstream Performance segment...or are you going to sell Alfas and Maseratis to Americans to replace their Hellcats and ScatPacks? We all saw how well that's working out.

Jeep/Ram, Jeep is fine as is Ram, who cares if its a Dodge Ram or a Ram Ram...the branding there will change nothing with the actual product...so what is the point of changing it back to Dodge from Ram?
Fold Ram back into Dodge. Hellcats and Hemis are on borrowed time without an electrification option. Find a long lasting strategy that will strengthen both the brands, should they remain separate. But it has to align with electrification in some way or form.
NO matter how you want to slice and dice it, they need to figure out a long term product roadmap and brand strategy.

But TBH the CEOs remarks, I truly don't believe were aimed specifically at the American brands...It was more directed towards the redundancy of DS, Peugeot, Lancia, Opel, Vauxhaul...those all sell the same type of vehicles in teh same segments, that's your overlap and where you need your brands to establish their identity...the US brands, they all have their identity and an established/working business model.
I think the CEO's remarks were meant for all the brands not named Jeep and Maserati.
I mean... Lancia has 1 model for crying out loud. Alfa has stagnated. DS is sort of a "why bother" brand. And its not doing well in China either. And yes. The overlap between the French, Italian, and German marques is crazy.

I mentioned dealer activity earlier...in 2019 the DJCR dealership network moved 2.1M cars +/- between 2408 dealerships...Chevrolet moved 1.9M between 3,000 dealerships...and Ford/Lincoln moved 2.4M between 3000+ dealerships, which looks more successful? as a Dealer which would you rather run?
I don't think that's has much bearing.
If the product roadmap and brand strategy is solid, the sales will come. You can't point to sales and make it the reason to NOT develop the proper product for longevity.
That's bass ackwards.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Not fully understanding how someone doesn’t get that as long as Dodge has the popular Challenger, Charger and Durango (and it’s following) that even if they went EV - as long as they still had the affordability, style and power that they do then they’ll be fine. Chrysler could use an EV 300 as a Model S competitor. Electrify the Pacifica and add that midsize crossover and they are fine too. RAM/Jeep are fine. We don’t want Lancia or Fiat or anything else from over there except maybe Maserati and Alfa.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Chrysler could use an EV 300 as a Model S competitor.
You mean a poor man's Model S a la a poor man's Bentley?

Model S is priced from $85k-$145k.

I know Dodge Demon sold out at $85k(with most going over sticker) but that was limited editions. And not Chrysler.

Chrysler can not sell EVs priced $85k Plus.

·
Registered
20,683 Posts
You saying all of that shows that you don't understand the US FCA/Stellantis/DJCR lineup...they were never supposed to be sustainable on their own because they're never offered on their own.

Look at the lineup without the meaningless brand designations:

Challenger
Charger
Durango
300 - probably replaced soon and dropped for a EV Crossover
Compass
Renegade
Cherokee
Wrangler
Grand Cherokee (L)
Wagoneer

What's wrong with any of that, why does any of that need to die off? Only overlap within that lineup is with the Charger/300 and the Durango and new GC-L...otherwise it's a complete lineup from top down, so why does Stellantis need to drop any of the brands if they're all designed, assembled, and sold by the same people? What's the gain? Chrysler doesn't need to justify anything, they sell a minivan and a sedan, if they decide to no longer sell minivans then sure, drop it...but it doesn't need to be dropped for some cost savings measure, because there aren't any savings to be had. Its a good formula, and like I said, its the busiest dealer network in the country.

Re their other brands, I'm not sure of their workings overseas, but you can't sell a Lancia, DS, Peugeot in the US just as they wont sell a Ram, Dodge, etc over there. The Euro brands sure, they can pare those down, but the US brands are fine as is.
I see you are getting a lot of resistance?...............

Pose the opposite of how DCJR is run today; create a bunch of overlap models per platform and individually brand them all sold out of single-brand dealerships, maybe then they'll get it?

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
12,660 Posts

Pose the opposite of how DCJR is run today; create a bunch of overlap models per platform and individually brand them all sold out of single-brand dealerships, maybe then they'll get it?
True. Those brands foreign especially, if offered in the US will never fly, IIRC it's sort of been done and poor results. They need each other to a degree and be sold under the the same roof and... The only way some of the US brands work is all together. It seems you never see just a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep stand alone. You do occasionally see places like up north of here in Cedar City, a Jeep franchise in with Ford/Lincoln or Jeep with Cadillac/GMC though...:) Just my .02 here.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts

I know right...give Jeep a AWD 2 Door Coupe off the LX platform, and Chrysler should get a pickup truck...I mean they both need to fill out their lineup to justify their existence. Then over at Dodge, give them an off road SUV...along the lines of the Wrangler, but with Dodge Styling...and then of course Ram should get a minivan.

That way all of the brands have a full or almost full lineup to justify their existence.

And Chrysler has not gotten "billions of dollars poured in" in recent years...they got whatever was needed to do the Pacifica/Voyager, and that mild refresh of the 300. That's about it since what 2012?

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
I know right...give Jeep a AWD 2 Door Coupe off the LX platform, and Chrysler should get a pickup truck...I mean they both need to fill out their lineup to justify their existence. Then over at Dodge, give them an off road SUV...along the lines of the Wrangler, but with Dodge Styling...and then of course Ram should get a minivan.

That way all of the brands have a full or almost full lineup to justify their existence.

And Chrysler has not gotten "billions of dollars poured in" in recent years...they got whatever was needed to do the Pacifica/Voyager, and that mild refresh of the 300. That's about it since what 2012?
Ha Ha Ha Ha. You know that ain't happenin' but still..... :D ;) Although I do think Dodge/Ram could use something akin to the old Ramcharger only smaller like midsize to compact maybe. Edit: Are they still toying with bringing out a midsize or compact pickup to do battle with Colorado/Ranger?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Ha Ha Ha Ha. You know that ain't happenin' but still..... :D ;) Although I do think Dodge/Ram could use something akin to the old Ramcharger only smaller like midsize to compact maybe. Edit: Are they still toying with bringing out a midsize or compact pickup to do battle with Colorado/Ranger?
It was Rumored/planned to be on Gladiators Platform but it was Canceled for New "Stella Frame" EV platform.. Until then, Gladiator will do the job.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts