Super Moderator
10,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrysler Airflow Vision EV Possibly Teased On Its Road To Production
Could it be – a new Chrysler model?
Jul 09, 2021
Adrian Padeanu
motor1.com

If there's one Stellantis brand in desperate need of fresh products, other than Lancia, it's certainly Chrysler. The 117-year-old company is now merely a shadow of its former self by selling a pair of minivans and an outdated sedan. Seeing the glass half full, the world's fourth-largest automaker has vowed to invest in all of its 14 brands in the next 10 years, and that includes Chrysler.

It looks as though we might have been given a sneak preview of a long-overdue new Chrysler. During an eventful Stellantis EV Day 2021, which included teasers of a Dodge electric muscle car and a zero-emissions Ram 1500, a new vehicle carrying the winged logo made an appearance. Ok, perhaps it's not all that new since it looks like a major evolution of last year's Airflow Vision concept introduced at CES.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image courtesy of, and credited to, motor1.com

·
Super Moderator
10,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks a bit generic, but handsome.

Whether it is EV-related or not, good to see that Chrysler is getting some attention by the powers that be. We know that the recent comments by Carlos Tavares states that all Stellantis brands will get a 10 year "reprieve" from being axed as they work to "rebuild and justify their existence". Chrysler cannot exist on two variants of one minivan and the 300 alone, and perhaps this is the first major step in that direction.

I'll be rooting for them (and Lancia!).

·
Registered
44,244 Posts
Jul 09, 2021
Adrian Padeanu
motor1.com

If there's one Stellantis brand in desperate need of fresh products, other than Lancia, it's certainly Chrysler. The 117-year-old company is now merely a shadow of its former self by selling a pair of minivans and an outdated sedan. Seeing the glass half full, the world's fourth-largest automaker has vowed to invest in all of its 14 brands in the next 10 years, and that includes Chrysler.

It looks as though we might have been given a sneak preview of a long-overdue new Chrysler. During an eventful Stellantis EV Day 2021, which included teasers of a Dodge electric muscle car and a zero-emissions Ram 1500, a new vehicle carrying the winged logo made an appearance. Ok, perhaps it's not all that new since it looks like a major evolution of last year's Airflow Vision concept introduced at CES.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

View attachment 64078

It looks nice.
Stellantis has too many brands. I don't see the benefits of keeping Chrysler or Dodge alive, as well as Peugeot, Lancia, and Vauxhall.

·
Registered
44,244 Posts
It's all about regionality.
That's really a feeble argument, to tell you the truth. Lancia makes 1 car.
Stellantis really needs to align on a global strategy not a regional one. That's what's marginalizing Alfa. Chrysler has no products of any merit aside from a minivan.

Some tough decisions will be made in a few short years.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Looks a bit generic, but handsome.

Whether it is EV-related or not, good to see that Chrysler is getting some attention by the powers that be. We know that the recent comments by Carlos Tavares states that all Stellantis brands will get a 10 year "reprieve" from being axed as they work to "rebuild and justify their existence". Chrysler cannot exist on two variants of one minivan and the 300 alone, and perhaps this is the first major step in that direction.

I'll be rooting for them (and Lancia!).
It looks nice.
Stellantis has too many brands. I don't see the benefits of keeping Chrysler or Dodge alive, as well as Peugeot, Lancia, and Vauxhall.
You guys need to get out of the mindset that any of the US Stellantis (Dodge Jeep Chrysler Ram)brands needs to be a top down lineup to justify its existence. The DCJR dealership network works as is.

There isn't a single dealership in the world that tries to live solely off 300 and Pacifica sales...they all have Jeeps, Rams, Dodges to fill out that lineup from top to bottom. As long as each brand hits a necessary segment w/ sufficient volume, it's viable.

Like I said in the other thread, the Pacifica is the #2 Minivan in the US and the 300 sells just as well as a toyota Avalon, Chrysler is fine...same can be said for Dodge, the Challenger is outselling the Mustang and the Charger leads its class of well...one, they'll be alright.

Edit: i ran the numbers a while back, those DJCR dealerships are statistically the most active dealerships in the country in terms of units sold : dealers...you really don't want to mess up that formula.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Jul 09, 2021
Adrian Padeanu
motor1.com

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

View attachment 64078
Looks dangerously close to production ready design wise. I said a couple days ago all Chrysler was missing was a midsize Crossover (FWD) and look at what we have here...minus the FWD of course. I wonder if they end up killing off the 300 soon and have this replace it in the 2 car Chrysler corner of the showroom floor.

·
Registered
44,244 Posts
You guys need to get out of the mindset that any of the US Stellantis (Dodge Jeep Chrysler Ram)brands needs to be a top down lineup to justify its existence. The DCJR dealership network works as is.

There isn't a single dealership in the world that tries to live solely off 300 and Pacifica sales...they all have Jeeps, Rams, Dodges to fill out that lineup from top to bottom. As long as each brand hits a necessary segment w/ sufficient volume, it's viable.

Like I said in the other thread, the Pacifica is the #2 Minivan in the US and the 300 sells just as well as a toyota Avalon, Chrysler is fine...same can be said for Dodge, the Challenger is outselling the Mustang and the Charger leads its class of well...one, they'll be alright.

Edit: i ran the numbers a while back, those DJCR dealerships are statistically the most active dealerships in the country in terms of units sold : dealers...you really don't want to mess up that formula.

Who are you kidding here?
Dodge might have a loyal following with its muscle cars and Durango. But that's it. And V8 power is going the way of the dinosaur. Without it, what does Dodge really have?
Chrysler is a 2 car brand and barely solvent as it is, even after major investments. The 300 is ancient and sold only 15,000 last year. In fact, the 300 has been declining in YOY sales since 2012.
Jeep has experienced growth and is the only brand that is truly global at Stellantis.

And every brand at Stellantis is being given time and money to prove their right to exist — have a growth plan and strategy. If not, I expect Stellantis to drop the brands entirely.

Frankly, if you're not Jeep or Maserati, chances are you'll have issues.

·
Registered
18,592 Posts
Dodge might have a loyal following with its muscle cars and Durango. But that's it. And V8 power is going the way of the dinosaur. Without it, what does Dodge really have?
Chrysler is a 2 car brand and barely solvent as it is, even after major investments. The 300 is ancient and sold only 15,000 last year. In fact, the 300 has been declining in YOY sales since 2012.
Jeep has experienced growth and is the only brand that is truly global at Stellantis.

And every brand at Stellantis is being given time and money to prove their right to exist — have a growth plan and strategy. If not, I expect Stellantis to drop the brands entirely.

Years ago, when Sergio wanted to merge with GM, I had the same argument - to many brands. In essence they'd have rebuilt the old GM after they so wisely jettisoned their overburden of brands. Stellantis definitely has too many brands, but at least their combination makes a little more sense by giving them access to the USA. I think Chrysler is dead, I don't think they can revive the brand in 10 years unless they can give it some real home run products. And we all know how hard it is to design a home run.

I think Dodge has a good niche and can survive IF they can figure out how to give them new, sporty vehicles with reasonable prices. They can keep prices reasonable now with those old chassis they use, but what'll happen to the price of a Challenger/Charger with a shiny new chassis?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It lIked it better when it was the Chevy Blazer.

·
Registered
44,244 Posts
Years ago, when Sergio wanted to merge with GM, I had the same argument - to many brands. In essence they'd have rebuilt the old GM after they so wisely jettisoned their overburden of brands. Stellantis definitely has too many brands, but at least their combination makes a little more sense by giving them access to the USA. I think Chrysler is dead, I don't think they can revive the brand in 10 years unless they can give it some real home run products. And we all know how hard it is to design a home run.

I think Dodge has a good niche and can survive IF they can figure out how to give them new, sporty vehicles with reasonable prices. They can keep prices reasonable now with those old chassis they use, but what'll happen to the price of a Challenger/Charger with a shiny new chassis?

Fixing Dodge will prove to be a lot easier than Chrysler. I think there's a lot more mindshare there with Dodge.
It's always a shame to lose a long time brand, but I think that's going to be inevitable — not with just the US brands but the Euro brands as well.

Dodge does have the niche. But it's a really small one. They're just not really in a position to survive as a boutique brand. The flip side is, they are the only game in their niche -- relatively affordable sport/sporty cars.

If you're head of Stellantis, I think all names can conceivably be axed with the exception of Jeep and Maserati.
The remaining will need to justify their existence.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts

You saying all of that shows that you don't understand the US FCA/Stellantis/DJCR lineup...they were never supposed to be sustainable on their own because they're never offered on their own.

Look at the lineup without the meaningless brand designations:

Challenger
Charger
Durango
300 - probably replaced soon and dropped for a EV Crossover
Compass
Renegade
Cherokee
Wrangler
Grand Cherokee (L)
Wagoneer

What's wrong with any of that, why does any of that need to die off? Only overlap within that lineup is with the Charger/300 and the Durango and new GC-L...otherwise it's a complete lineup from top down, so why does Stellantis need to drop any of the brands if they're all designed, assembled, and sold by the same people? What's the gain? Chrysler doesn't need to justify anything, they sell a minivan and a sedan, if they decide to no longer sell minivans then sure, drop it...but it doesn't need to be dropped for some cost savings measure, because there aren't any savings to be had. Its a good formula, and like I said, its the busiest dealer network in the country.

Re their other brands, I'm not sure of their workings overseas, but you can't sell a Lancia, DS, Peugeot in the US just as they wont sell a Ram, Dodge, etc over there. The Euro brands sure, they can pare those down, but the US brands are fine as is.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,982 Posts
It's a sharp looking vehicle at any rate. The front reminds me a bit of the Chrysler 200 nose.

·
Registered
44,244 Posts
You saying all of that shows that you don't understand the US FCA/Stellantis/DJCR lineup...they were never supposed to be sustainable on their own because they're never offered on their own.

Look at the lineup without the meaningless brand designations:

Challenger
Charger
Durango
300 - probably replaced soon and dropped for a EV Crossover
Compass
Renegade
Cherokee
Wrangler
Grand Cherokee (L)
Wagoneer

What's wrong with any of that, why does any of that need to die off? Only overlap within that lineup is with the Charger/300 and the Durango and new GC-L...otherwise it's a complete lineup from top down, so why does Stellantis need to drop any of the brands if they're all designed, assembled, and sold by the same people? What's the gain? Chrysler doesn't need to justify anything, they sell a minivan and a sedan, if they decide to no longer sell minivans then sure, drop it...but it doesn't need to be dropped for some cost savings measure, because there aren't any savings to be had. Its a good formula, and like I said, its the busiest dealer network in the country.

Re their other brands, I'm not sure of their workings overseas, but you can't sell a Lancia, DS, Peugeot in the US just as they wont sell a Ram, Dodge, etc over there. The Euro brands sure, they can pare those down, but the US brands are fine as is.

That's also not the directive given by the Stellantis CEO recently.
Each BRAND has to justify its existence over the course of 10 years to focus on the core strategy, brand promise, customers, targets and brand communications

Let's look at it with brand:

Dodge
Challenger, Charger, Durango

Chrysler
300, Pacifica/Voyager

Jeep
Compass, Renegade, Cherokee, Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer

Ram
1500, 2500, 3500

Can Dodge or Chrysler potentially rebadge something from Europe? Sure. Why not?
But Chrysler really has no purpose as it stands today. It doesn't matter if they can sell in the same dealership or not.

The question really is, do these brands have any true purpose? Jeep? Sure. Ram? US Only.
The rest? Needs to thinking.

·
Registered
18,592 Posts
Each BRAND has to justify its existence over the course of 10 years to focus on the core strategy, brand promise, customers, targets and brand communications

Dodge

Chrysler
300, Pacifica/Voyager

Jeep

Ram
1500, 2500, 3500

But Chrysler really has no purpose as it stands today. It doesn't matter if they can sell in the same dealership or not.

The question really is, do these brands have any true purpose? Jeep? Sure. Ram? US Only.
They should fold Ram back into Dodge, I don't see what separating Ram into its own brand is doing or has done for them. The trucks fit right into the hyper-masculine image of Dodge and gives Dodge further reason to exist.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
They should fold Ram back into Dodge, I don't see what separating Ram into its own brand is doing or has done for them. The trucks fit right into the hyper-masculine image of Dodge and gives Dodge further reason to exist.
Marketing, Dodge its Hyper Masc "The Brotherhood" of performance, Ram is more country side Work horses, with Work horses for Executives.

Not to mention Ram being a separate brand, they get their own Designers, CEO, R&D ect..

·
Registered
18,592 Posts
Marketing, Dodge its Hyper Masc "The Brotherhood" of performance, Ram is more country side Work horses, with Work horses for Executives.

Not to mention Ram being a separate brand, they get their own Designers, CEO, R&D ect..
Sounds more like duplicated costs.

Dodge already has the Durango, Ram will slide right back into the fold with no issue.

Doesn't "Dodge Ram" just sound right? :D

·
Registered
5,223 Posts

Dodge

Chrysler
300, Pacifica/Voyager

Jeep

Ram
1500, 2500, 3500

Ok...fine, by killing off Chrysler you're exiting the minivan segment, sure means nothing to you, but there is still a market for minivans...is that something they really want to do? Because you get rid of Chrysler, what do you badge/design the Pacifica/Voyager as? a Dodge? a Jeep? a Ram? You want to sell a mainstream non performance centered EV, you need Chrysler for it to fit somewhere...or do you really want to badge an American EV as a Lancia? Only if you want it to fail.

You kill off Dodge...that means you're exiting the mainstream Performance segment...or are you going to sell Alfas and Maseratis to Americans to replace their Hellcats and ScatPacks? We all saw how well that's working out.

Jeep/Ram, Jeep is fine as is Ram, who cares if its a Dodge Ram or a Ram Ram...the branding there will change nothing with the actual product...so what is the point of changing it back to Dodge from Ram?

But TBH the CEOs remarks, I truly don't believe were aimed specifically at the American brands...It was more directed towards the redundancy of DS, Peugeot, Lancia, Opel, Vauxhaul...those all sell the same type of vehicles in teh same segments, that's your overlap and where you need your brands to establish their identity...the US brands, they all have their identity and an established/working business model.

I mentioned dealer activity earlier...in 2019 the DJCR dealership network moved 2.1M cars +/- between 2408 dealerships...Chevrolet moved 1.9M between 3,000 dealerships...and Ford/Lincoln moved 2.4M between 3000+ dealerships, which looks more successful? as a Dealer which would you rather run?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts