GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News
October 18, 2021

"Chips & Ships" Take September GM North American Estimated Production Down 59% Compared To September 2020.

Font Material property Number Screenshot Event

Estimated (based on factory operation) North American Production; September, 2021:

General Motors: 105,402
Ford Motor: 183,245
Toyota Motors: 98,683
Stellantis LLC: 169,547

·
Registered
21,377 Posts
Can you imagine the reaction 10 years ago if I predicted that in the second half of 2021, the Chevrolet Corvette would be the ONLY car in the GM lineup?

Fixed it for you......................

Reactions: gkr778 and CJH

·
Registered
21,377 Posts
Wow... What is worse now about the chip shortage than it was a year ago? Weren't we already in a chip shortage?
GM appears to be managing the crisis much worse than others.

A year ago everything was just ramping back-up the chip shortage was not a (noticeable) issue at that time.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,501 Posts

A year ago everything was just ramping back-up the chip shortage was not a (noticeable) issue at that time.
True. and many of us, myself included feel fortunate to have bought when we did instead of having to wade through this awful mess. I feel for the dealerships(stealerships) in a way and their sales people. Just curious, has anybody ever checked this guy out? : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNaTljLhNOY91ntutlsg6gg I find it kind of interesting sometimes myself :).

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), the company that makes two thirds of the worlds semiconductors, said they were going to try and boost production but they're also going to raise prices 20% or more. But it looks more and more likely China will militarily take over Taiwan, which could cripple the industry and make things much worse. Could be one of the reasons China tested/showed off their new nuclear capable hypersonic missile system.

The proposed $52 billion CHIPS for America Act might be our best hope, but it would take years to help.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), the company that makes two thirds of the worlds semiconductors, said they were going to try and boost production but they're also going to raise prices 20% or more. But it looks more and more likely China will militarily take over Taiwan, which could cripple the industry and make things much worse. Could be one of the reasons China tested/showed off their new nuclear capable hypersonic missile system.

The proposed $52 billion CHIPS for America Act might be our best hope, but it would take years to help.
It's a real stretch to declare it inevitable that China will take over Taiwan. Hong Kong at least is on the mainland and they haven't taken over there, though of course they exert significant influence.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
It's a real stretch to declare it inevitable that China will take over Taiwan. Hong Kong at least is on the mainland and they haven't taken over there, though of course they exert significant influence.

I agree with you. I think the current China-Taiwan situation will go on for a long time.

Of course, China could overwhelm Taiwan militarily. But Taiwan has a strong military and loves its independence; they still consider themsevles to be the rightful rulers of mainland China. They wouldn't win, but could put quite a hurt on any attempted takeover. They aren't known to have nuclear weapons, but they have nuclear power and likely have the ability to create weapons.

I think one of the past reasons that has been cited for Taiwan's continued independence is still valid today. And that is that a military takeover would cost lives. There's a lot of families in China that have relatives on Taiwan. They would not want to see their families and other people of the same origin and blood slaughtered. It has been suggested that the communists wouldn't purse a takeover because it might sow unrest in their own population. Dictatorships know that they rule by force and not the will of the people, and no matter how iron-fisted that rule, they never rest easy.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
'Experts have also been warning for months about a possible military takeover of Taiwan by China, which would leave them in control of a critical supply-chain at a time when the U.S. is imposing sanctions designed to keep semiconductor technology out of their hands.'

Semiconductors 101: Computer chips shortages lead to national security concerns | Fox News

I was just referencing this quote.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Here is a comment from our transportation secretary who has had this job all of 8 months and has taken off the last two to be with his boy friend and their newly adopted child because clearly that is more important than our country!

But to end any speculation of how it has gotten to this point, here is a comment from the Transportation Secretary regarding the supply crunch we are going through and why these idiots who claim to be incharge will never help this situation, EVER!

" demand is up, because income is up, because the president has successfully guided this economy out of the teeth of a terrifying recession." Pete Buttigieg

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,501 Posts
Here is a comment from our transportation secretary who has had this job all of 8 months and has taken off the last two to be with his boy friend and their newly adopted child because clearly that is more important than our country!

But to end any speculation of how it has gotten to this point, here is a comment from the Transportation Secretary regarding the supply crunch we are going through and why these idiots who claim to be incharge will never help this situation, EVER!

" demand is up, because income is up, because the president has successfully guided this economy out of the teeth of a terrifying recession." Pete Buttigieg
Me thinks things are only beginning to get interesting, shall we say.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
China took over Hong Kong from the UK in 1997. The UK had only leased the majority of Hong Kong (100 year term) and the lease was up. China has allowed some measure of autonomy for Hong Kong, realizing that their communist style of economics would wreck the economic viability of Hong Kong. Of course, since then, the Chinese government has become way less communist, and way more capitalist themselves.

But make no mistake, Hong Kong has definitely been "taken over" by China.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,127 Posts
+1
NADA's Market Beat for September 2021 indicates that GM and Ford are the outliers among all automakers in the U.S. market in terms of managing (or mismanaging) the crisis. Both companies registered steep market share losses in Q1-Q3 2021.

Font Rectangle Pattern Parallel Circle

·
Registered
19,347 Posts
+1
NADA's Market Beat for September 2021 indicates that GM and Ford are the outliers among all automakers in the U.S. market in terms of managing (or mismanaging) the crisis. Both companies registered steep market share losses in Q1-Q3 2021.

View attachment 64657
I wonder what is going on to result in this, could be more than meets the eye and based on the kind of vehicles each company makes their profits on.

Meaning we all know GM, Ford and Stellantis make most of their profits from big, expensive trucks and most of the rest of their lineups are more or less dead weight from a profit perspective. So, when they do get chips they all go to the trucks and have given up volume in everything else. Focusing on these higher margin vehicles is evidenced by their big increases in ATP and pretty strong profits. Then we have the Japanese who has all their volume in Camry's, Civic's, Corolla's, Altima's and probably where they get their profits from, but at a much lower ATP - so they have incentive to put their chips into higher volume (sell two Civic's for every one Silverado). This could explain why the GM/Ford/Stellantis have lost market share yet have maintained profits. But, it does come down to selling two Civic's for every on Silverado which means Honda has more chips, though, do the pickup trucks with the fancy DOD, fancy cameras and other electronic toys also use more chips?

In other words, I'm thinking market share on its own doesn't tell the entire story in this chip shortage.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
this is NOT an "AMERICAN" problem but a GLOBAL one and NO single government can "fix" / "cause" it
this is more of an economic issue that HAS to be "fixed" by companies involved
the chip shortage WILL sort itself out ONCE the new "fabs" come online globally and an increase to GLOBAL manufacturing capacity and a LOWER reliance on "single source" manufacturing (CHINA)

·
Registered
21,377 Posts
I wonder what is going on to result in this, could be more than meets the eye and based on the kind of vehicles each company makes their profits on.

Meaning we all know GM, Ford and Stellantis make most of their profits from big, expensive trucks and most of the rest of their lineups are more or less dead weight from a profit perspective. So, when they do get chips they all go to the trucks and have given up volume in everything else. Focusing on these higher margin vehicles is evidenced by their big increases in ATP and pretty strong profits. Then we have the Japanese who has all their volume in Camry's, Civic's, Corolla's, Altima's and probably where they get their profits from, but at a much lower ATP - so they have incentive to put their chips into higher volume (sell two Civic's for every one Silverado). This could explain why the GM/Ford/Stellantis have lost market share yet have maintained profits. But, it does come down to selling two Civic's for every on Silverado which means Honda has more chips, though, do the pickup trucks with the fancy DOD, fancy cameras and other electronic toys also use more chips?

In other words, I'm thinking market share on its own doesn't tell the entire story in this chip shortage.
We know what happened at Ford; the fire at the Renesas chip plant in March.

It's shutdown was directly tied to the majority of Ford's Q2 production decline, nine of the automaker’s Tier 1 suppliers rely on chips from that facility.

Source: https://fordauthority.com/2021/09/f...arose-from-a-bad-bet-and-a-poorly-timed-fire/

Over the last 30 days, I've personally viewed a decent amount of product, at Ford Dealer, not great but decent; F150's, Explorer, Edge and Escape. Wondering how used car prices will hold up once more new inventory starts showing up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts