GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chinese Valve Stem Warning Could Affect Everyone Who's Had Tires Replaced Since 2006

Consumer Reports warns of a potential problem with as many as 30 million rubber replacement valve stems manufactured in China for NC-based Dill Air Control Products and sold after mid-2006. While a federal recall hasn't yet been issued, NHTSA has opened an investigation after a Florida man died following a blowout and flip allegedly caused by one of the defective valve stems. Yes, it was a Ford Explorer. So, how do you know if you have one of the millions of potentially deadly valve stems on your car?

Identifying a defective valve stem is simple: Dismount each tire from its rim and check. That's right, folks: There's no outward marking to identify the defective valve stems, nor was any tracking system in place to determine who may or may not have received one. So, if you're part of the at-risk group, you probably want to keep both hands on the wheel until NHTSA sorts all this out. [Consumer Reports; Photo and tons of great valve stem info at Techno-Fandom.org]

Source: http://jalopnik.com/5045535/chinese...t-everyone-whos-had-tires-replaced-since-2006

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Read about this, in fact Discount Tire is one of those people effected. When will the American public learn? For me I would rather pay a dollar more for an American made stem, at least if this happened there would be something done about it. Instead we reward China with subpar products by importing more.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Wow, (knock on wood) I have never had a problem with valve stems on any of my cars. But I know a girl who had 3 go bad on her F-150 during a cross-country trip from Florida to California. This was in 2007....but who knows, those might very well have been 2006 Chinese made valve stems.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
While a federal recall hasn't yet been issued, NHTSA has opened an investigation after a Florida man died following a blowout and flip allegedly caused by one of the defective valve stems. Yes, it was a Ford Explorer.
LOL! Sorry, that made me laugh.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Damn you China! First its 14 year old gymnasts now this?:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts