GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I see it, Chevy has blown the Colorado introduction so far. Here's to hoping that they do a little more in the future.

Where was the fanfare? The excitement? The bold and impressive advertising?
All I saw was a glimpse of one in the "Car Carrier" commercial, and that parody of a commercial that Joe Isuzu would have been perfect for, with Shania Twain's "Feel like a woman", and the uncomfortable occupants of the Colorado crew cab. Print advertisments have certainly been there, and they aren't bad at all, but they lack the impact a single good television commercial can have.

If I recall, Nissan threw a ton of money, if unsuccessfully, at its truck advertisements, pumping the macho image and giving the trucks some serious red meat commericals. The Frontier commerical where the truck is formed from a forge of molten metal is a classic.

Perhaps there were better regional advertisements for the Colorado that I missed, but I doubt it. (If you've seen any, let me know) Instead, I see plenty of gender neutral Chevy Malibu ads running - that aren't that bad for their target audience, I suppose - and unlike Colorado, they look sharp and put the point across that the Malibu is big for Chevy, and they don't make a joke out of it. In Texas, the full size trucks are still pumped (with obligatory country music) far more in regional commericals than the Colorado.

Still, the Colorado / Canyon should be pivotal for Chevy and GMC. They've been making the S-10 and Sonoma and vehicles very similar to them for more than 20 years now. These replacement vehicles have been praised by many auto publications, and one version has even been dubbed the "Pony Pickup" in reference to its excellent driving capabilities.

GM marketing executives seem content to watch the Colorado / Canyon fail or succeed on their own merits alone, without much in the way of impression-creating commercials. Next thing you know they will have the television advertising budget of the Chevy Astro or Chevy Express vans.

And if the Colorado gets little in advertising dollars for TV, the GMC canyon is its poor stepbrother. Again, I may have missed them, but I don't recall seeing a single one.

Perhaps GM is "competing" against the near non existent ads for the Ford Ranger. Perhaps it figures that if the S-10 could keep selling so well over the years despite an ancient platform - the Colorado should do well without requiring advertising dollars.

But why leave it at that? The Colorado is a modern truck with a modern engine (something I wish the commercials would pick up on) that has the potential to make conquest sales from other brands, even the Imports. But not if GM is content with Saturday Night Live-esque commericals.

GM is missing a huge opportunity here to capitalize on a great product. All they need are some great commericals to tout it, and get the word out to a wider audience. I want to see them saturate the market like even just one of the better HUMMER commercials. Perhaps I've just been unlucky and have missed them so far.

Maybe this is just cynical, but I get the feeling Chevy would rather have people buying its large pickups with the outdated interiors and engines slipping behind the competition instead of the Colorado. If they focus too much of a spotlight on the virtues of the Colorado, they might miss some sales on the more profitable large trucks like the Silverado, especially considering so many "Urban Cowboy" large pickup drivers in reality would be just as well served with a truck the size of a Colorado/Canyon.

Either way it goes, Colorado needs more in its TV advertising legacy than "I Feel Like a Woman". A LOT more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i dont see chevy mis-advertise the colorado....there's plenty of tv commercials of it here in philly, plus every magazine you open has the colorado, SSr, and the malibu. Maybe they're just not advertising as much in markets where the colorado wouldnt be a big sell.

And even if they have one commercial for it, its a damn funny one.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yea, I've back cover ads for the Colorado on EVERY magazine I've picked up in the past 3 months. Not just car magazines, but my college newspaper, other newpapers, and lots of magazines. I'd say a lot of money is being spent.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There's generally good vibes about the Colorado around here. Frequent commercial and print ads are out there almost daily and certainly weekly. Relax ;)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I see the Canyon ones with the new GMC adds that compare it to things in the real world. "Not more then you want, more then you expect"
They talk about getting all this light from a tiny bulb, and then they talk about "Can you get the fuel economy of a 4cyl with the power of a 6?"

Then there is that Colorado Z71 commercial in where they have a guy in the truck chase down a Lion or Cougar and they play tag. You seem him jumping and driving around in this Field area. Its actualy pretty funny.
The Colorado commercial one with the 5 guys... well let me just say that I sat in that same truck, and to get thoes 3 guys across...possible, but not with all that room they show in the commercial.

They should show it off more. It should show the Extreem one with air bags dropped to the ground, and also include the Cobalt and Vibe and a little Aveo hatch all dressed up in sport compact gear.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
maybe its based on market, because here in houston i recently starting seeing a new car carrier commercial just for the colorado, using the same "an american revolution" theme and same theme music.. but this time the car carrier is full of all colorado's and they exiting the car carrier "knight rider" style. and exiting off in different directions..and of course the sport version has to do a j-turn.. they are pushing the fact that their are 15 different versions of the colorado to choose from.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Apr 13 2004, 04:28 PM
maybe its based on market, because here in houston i recently starting seeing a new car carrier commercial just for the colorado, using the same "an american revolution" theme and same theme music.. but this time the car carrier is full of all colorado's and they exiting the car carrier "knight rider" style. and exiting off in different directions..and of course the sport version has to do a j-turn.. they are pushing the fact that their are 15 different versions of the colorado to choose from.
wow, never saw that one? Sounds cool!

·
Banned
895 Posts
The Colorado is a horrible product when one considers it is essentially all-new.

The positives are the engines and the exterior styling. And, it is competing with a Ford Ranger whose architecture dates back to Ronald Reagan's years as President. That is all.

The negatives are immediately evident when one opens the door. The interior is K-Mart cheap. The seats sit too low. There is a surprising shortage of room in a so-called mid-size truck.

Chevy's advertising on this product only matches its attention to details on its products. The "Feels Like a Woman" campaign was horrendously ill-advised. Supposedly this truck is to do more than to carry four men and a wannabee woman, but I never got the impression from the ad that there was any room in the truck. It looked like sardine-city in the back.

Chevy should admit they screwed up on this truck and should immediately spend tens of millions to redo the interior to bring room and quality into the vehicle. What should have been a breakthrough product from a division who has a sorry history with trucks being competitive in sales with Ford has instead reminded everyone why Chevy may never build a real truck for real people.

Dodge must be smiling from ear to ear knowing that their competition in their niche is such a loser.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I drive an S10. I checked out the Colorados.
I cannot say that I find any problem with the
truck. Maybe some people are just too picky?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The Colorado looks like a great truck on both the inside and out. I Don't expect a F-150 King Ranch like interior because Colorado isn't selling for a King Ranch price, but I'd still say it is best in class.

I see lot of ads and great commercials. The like the all Colorado car carrier with the Colorado sport doing burn outs. The cougar "tag" commercial is cool too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd like to see the sport truck advertised a bit more. In fact, the only Colorado I've seen advertised (Southern Louisiana) is the Z71.

My first truck was a 1993 GMC Sonoma. It was a good little truck. I traded it in on my Camaro in 1998. Last April I bought my yellow 2003 S10. It's a single cab, sport side equipped with the ZQ8 package. It also has the 4.3L V6 and power everything. I like it. It's a little better than my '93. A few months ago, just for the fun of it, I went and test drove a Colorado Sport. ZQ8, 3.5L I5.... pretty much exactly what my truck is. The Colorado is better in every way. Much more room, much smoother engine, much smoother ride and, in my opinion, better looking.
In fact, because my Camaro was stolen two weeks ago, I plan on replacing my S10 with a new crew cab Colorado with the ZQ8 package.

To relate this to the topic, when I tell people I'm seriously considering the Colorado, they don't know what I'm talking about. There are six Chevrolet dealerships within 20 miles of me and none of them have more than two or three Colorados on the lot. I've been told they're not up to full production and I've also been told that they sell very quickly.

Anyway, just throwing my two cents in....

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by BRMike@Apr 13 2004, 12:09 PM
To relate this to the topic, when I tell people I'm seriously considering the Colorado, they don't know what I'm talking about.
Precisely!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just another quick example. About a month ago a guy I work with was asking me about what to replace his '95 Sonoma with. I suggested the Canyon crew cab. He gave me a blank look. Then, I had to educate him with some articles and brochures I had. After all that, he buys a Yukon! Great choice anyway.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
In some ways I like the previous generation truck better. It had more torque and higher towing capacity, nicer seat material before 03 that is, more substantial feeling doors and a rear window you could actually see out of! And you could buy one for between 13-15k for a decent 2 wheel drive V6 model instead od 16-20k for the Colorado.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Apr 13 2004, 12:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Apr 13 2004, 12:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BRMike@Apr 13 2004, 12:09 PM
To relate this to the topic, when I tell people I'm seriously considering the Colorado, they don't know what I'm talking about.
Precisely! [/b][/quote]
It just came out. It's not like a crossfire or a new benz that just came out. Its a pickup. Give it time....The advertisements are out there.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Five cylinder engine may have quite a bit of hop up potential. It has 30 more horses than the 190hp 4.3 and the truck only weighs about 100lbs more than the S-10.

Skyrocketing gas prices might force some to reconsider buying 11mpg leviathans with hauling capacity they will never use and aircraft carrier length.

Have to agree about relatively cramped rear seat and baseline trim, but then for $15,000 you won't get a $30,000 interior.

I own an Xtreme Blazer and I can't help but wish they had a Colorado based 2 door Blazer. The Equinox can be the soccer mom compact SUV while the 2 door Blazer could be a macho street machine with the ZQ8 setup, or rock crawling 4x4 with the ZR2 type suspension - an entry level SUV for the man's man.

As a city dweller, words fail to describe some of the parallel parking coup de tats you can perform in a vehicle that is just 180 inches long with a 100 inch wheelbase and 68 inch width. 4 can ride comfortably and you can fit 5, and it has that station wagon utility with the seat folded.

Low speed acceleration is decent, and improves notably with the usual street legal mods (Gibson cat back, K&N cold air, computer reprogram, 170 Thermostat and underdrive crankshaft pully).

The current S-10 is the 55 Chevy of street trucking, both literally and figuratively. It has the same A arm and ball joint suspension, recirculating ball steering box - even the engine block is 3/4 of the venerable small block V-8, but a new chassis could set the standard for the next 20 years.

The Xtreme Blazer is going to be carried over this year, but GM should consider redesigning this last of the two door SUVs on the Colorado body.

This sounds like a job for Rexraider's photochop shop. Lets see a two door Colorado Blazer with a 100" wheelbase - totally practical, totally utilitarian, totally affordable and totally macho compared to the maternal Equinox.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by KingElvis@Apr 13 2004, 03:53 PM
Five cylinder engine may have quite a bit of hop up potential. It has 30 more horses than the 190hp 4.3 and the truck only weighs about 100lbs more than the S-10.

Skyrocketing gas prices might force some to reconsider buying 11mpg leviathans with hauling capacity they will never use and aircraft carrier length.

Have to agree about relatively cramped rear seat and baseline trim, but then for $15,000 you won't get a $30,000 interior.

I own an Xtreme Blazer and I can't help but wish they had a Colorado based 2 door Blazer. The Equinox can be the soccer mom compact SUV while the 2 door Blazer could be a macho street machine with the ZQ8 setup, or rock crawling 4x4 with the ZR2 type suspension - an entry level SUV for the man's man.

As a city dweller, words fail to describe some of the parallel parking coup de tats you can perform in a vehicle that is just 180 inches long with a 100 inch wheelbase and 68 inch width. 4 can ride comfortably and you can fit 5, and it has that station wagon utility with the seat folded.

Low speed acceleration is decent, and improves notably with the usual street legal mods (Gibson cat back, K&N cold air, computer reprogram, 170 Thermostat and underdrive crankshaft pully).

The current S-10 is the 55 Chevy of street trucking, both literally and figuratively. It has the same A arm and ball joint suspension, recirculating ball steering box - even the engine block is 3/4 of the venerable small block V-8, but a new chassis could set the standard for the next 20 years.

The Xtreme Blazer is going to be carried over this year, but GM should consider redesigning this last of the two door SUVs on the Colorado body.

This sounds like a job for Rexraider's photochop shop. Lets see a two door Colorado Blazer with a 100" wheelbase - totally practical, totally utilitarian, totally affordable and totally macho compared to the maternal Equinox.
Maybe you see the Equinox as maternal because its a Unit-Body, has curves and replaces the Blazer, but its 100% better than the outgoing Blazer. I think the Equinox is 100% better looking and definitely NOT maternal..I like it a lot, and its a great value...drive one before you bash it my friend...thought it is completely different than your Blazer, its completely better...no offense...

·
Registered
244 Posts
I took a loaded Colorado 4X4 Extended cab for a test drive last weekend.

For a $33,000+ truck I wasn't overly impressed it...the dash was hard to reach, ride was very rough....kidney belts might need to be sold as an option :D

Not sure what I was really expecting, as the last truck I drove was a 1977 Ford F150 Explorer.

I took the Colorado out after driving the Equinox over the same route; the Equinox absorbed the bumps in the road in phenominal fashion...the Colorado passed the bumps on to the passengers.

It's not a fair comparison, as they are geared to totally different markets, but for the money I wouldn't touch the Colorado.

·
Registered
520 Posts
$33,000?? I have received a few quotes for a farily loaded (pretty much everything other than leather) crew cab ZQ8 Colorado for about $22,000.

Speaking of bone chattering ride, you ought to take a ride in my 2003 ZQ8 equipped S10!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts