GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy's "American Revolution" Not Complete
Another rant by Ming

I'm excited for GM and for Chevy. They have an incredible amount of new product coming in within the next several months. "An American Revolution" indeed.

But they also have some fat that needs to be trimmed. Old, moldy designs that it seems GM is hanging on to purely to keep some UAW factory producing vehicles that it can only sell with heavy discounts. Or designs that came just a few years ago but pre-dated Bob Lutz and already look outdated or still use outdated components.

GM / Chevy can only do so much. But before they give up the "American Revolution" tagline / campaign, they should make the change complete. There are a few ways to do this that would cost very little in time or money, even if they hurt short term profit.

Eliminate stale 20-year old designs from Chevy dealers' lots:
A. Kill the Astro
B. Kill the Blazer
C. Kill the S-10 4x4 crew cab
D. Kill the Tracker

Eliminate "fleet only" rental specials that may be the first Chevy a person ever drives, and the practice of keeping around old models to keep factories busy:
A. Kill the "Chevy Classic" (prior gen Malibu)
B. Stop selling old junk when new models are out - 2005 Grand Am coupe, while the G6 is on the lots.

Yes, some of these things are already planned. But why wait? There should NOT be a 2005 version of any of these vehicles. You don't see Toyota (at least in America) selling 20-year old products / platforms. It doesn't matter how "good" these vehicles were, nor how many fans are buying used S-10's and modding them out for truck shows. If the Astro is replaced for fleet use by a decontented CSV cargo van Uplander, few will complain. Heck it has more horsepower and almost as much if not the same torque. I haven't seen many plumbers or airport taxis using the Astro to tow things, which was the last best reason to keep it around. The Blazer was a great vehicle, but so were many 20 or 30 year old Chevy vehicles - that doesn't mean it should still be in the lineup - especially since my local dealer has about 2 Blazers and 50 Trailblazers (same goes for the Astro - they only have ONE passenger van). The Tracker will die when the Equinox with its mighty 3.4L engine comes around ;) -- and its about time.

2. Restyle the vehicles slated for 2007 or later redesigns for a common look. The Silverado has a new front end -- why is the Suburban still sporting the old round looking one? Sure, it looked great back when Clinton was still in office...but c'mon... The Impala looks great on the outside (Monte Carlo's looks are subjective), but the interior is clearly Pre-Lutz, and turns me off big time. Even the Trailblazer continues with the Pre-Lutz Bulbous Rubbermaid Chevy look, while the Envoy looks much sharper. You might even think the Impala interior "looks good", but it looks nothing like the "Revolution" vehicles - the Colorado, Malibu, Aveo, etc. And that's my main problem with these rounded-edge aerodynamic Taurusy interiors.

Cars that need some restyling to get into this century:
1. Impala interior (I still like the exterior, the grille could change)
2. Monte Carlo interior and grille (grille should have a flat air dam more like a
NASCAR vehicle or the Intimidator concept, not that funky front end with the cross hatch and slit thing...
3. Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe interiors (I already did a thread on this so don't get angry at the repetition here)
4. Suburban / Tahoe front end - like Silverados (even if you hate it, it looks more in line with the rest of the new Chevy product)

That's about it. If GM can do these things by 2006 MY, then the Revolution will truly be complete. How expensive can fitting a Silverado front end to the Tahoe be? Is there some major difference I'm missing? Who needs more Astros on their lots?

One thing you'll notice when you go on many other popular Import manufacturers lots is a common design theme. I may be asking for too much, but I want Chevy lots to look every bit as modern and up to date as the rest of them. Forget these 7-year styling cycles - that doesn't cut it. Disagree with me if you will, but I don't see how this could be a bad thing for Chevy -- especially considering the desperate Dealers' tendencies to put the slowest sellers like Astros and Blazers up on pedestals in front of the Dealerships. That just has to stop to give people a true sense of change at their local Chevy.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Very good points Ming! :D

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i'm going to guess the reason they keep things like the astro and blazer around is because they've LONG since paid for themselves. if they can sell them, why not? as soon as people stop purchasing them, you know they'll disappear. chev'd be silly to can a vehicle that still sells when they have to spend almost nothing to update or advertise it. i agree that there are a few stale chevrolets on the lots, but the consumers have to make the first move and stop buying them before they'll go away!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 17 2004, 12:52 PM
chev'd be silly to can a vehicle that still sells when they have to spend almost nothing to update or advertise it. i agree that there are a few stale chevrolets on the lots, but the consumers have to make the first move and stop buying them before they'll go away!
If Honda thought this way, would they still be selling the CRX? Or an "Accord Classic" from the Mid-90's? ;)

Probably not - but largely because they probably are using the same factories. I think a huge part of this has to do with all of the old GM factories here and there they keep running to keep the UAW happy. Even the ANCIENT Dodge Ram van sparked protest and outrage when DCX said they would cancel production. Who were the workers kidding?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i don't know much about how these decisions are made, but if the CRX was selling well i don't know why honda would have axed it. can't say i WANT old chevy's on the lot... but i also can't fault GM for pumping them out if people still wanna buy them.

personally i'd LOVE to see an '05 astro concept... short-version, lowered, tinted, massive 20 inch wheels, dual exhaust, 6 bucket seats, G6 slated roof... mmmmm :)

i wouldn't buy it, but i'd like to see it!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 17 2004, 12:34 PM
Another rant by Ming

1.  Eliminate stale 20-year old designs from Chevy dealers' lots.
     A. Kill the Astro
     B. Kill the Blazer
     D. Kill the Tracker

Cars that need some restyling to get into this century:
      1.  Impala interior  (I still like the exterior, the grille could change)
      2.  Monte Carlo interior and grille (grille should have a flat air dam more like a
          NASCAR vehicle or the Intimidator concept, not that funky front end with the           cross hatch and slit thing...
      3.  Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe interiors (I already did a thread on this so don't            get angry at the repetition here)
      4.   Suburban / Tahoe front end - like Silverados (even if you hate it, it looks                 more in line with the rest of the new Chevy product)

ELIMINATED:

Astro?? I've always been a big fan of the Astro and struggled for a reason it should be kept around and just given a facelift. Only thing that would keep it around, is that it offers more room for commercial uses then the CSV or compirable van's. my brain says kill it, my heart says slap a colorado style grill on it!!

blazer? isn't a colorado based suv's in the works? (photoshop rex?)

s10 4x4? doesn't colorado have a 4x4 crew cab? and the truck customizers/TUNERS that favor the s-10 will be happy with the colorado, so no need to worry there. so yeah, it'll be gone.. just be patient.

tracker? never liked it anyway!! :woot2:

RESTYLING:

Impala? the exterior restyling rumored for 04 never happened. i think the only redesign that it will probably get is exterior if that, why bother when the RWD replacement should be in the planning stages.

monte? IMO fine as/is until a RWD replacement comes.

silv/tahoe/suburban interior: would help greatly in a Vicious market.

silv/tahoe/suburban front end: agree with you. should just make them all match the current silverado. what i wonder is , would a current silverado grill on a suburban or tahoe make it look too much like an escalade and steal market from cadi? i mean, i've seen about 10 silverados in my town that have escalade front ends and the current silverado front end does have that edgy look to it.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 17 2004, 12:59 PM
i don't know much about how these decisions are made, but if the CRX was selling well i don't know why honda would have axed it.
Well what I'm saying is that Honda didn't really axe it, they just upgraded using the same factories (I'd guess).

The reason the Blazer and S-10 are still around after the Colorado has been introduced is because the Colorado (must be) in a different factory. So GM keeps making Blazers to keep the workers in some factory making something and not sitting on their hands waiting for the factory upgrade that might or might not come.

If GM was like Honda or Toyota, the Colorado would be produced in the S-10 factory, and the S-10/Blazer would have died when they moved up to the new vehicle. But my guess is that it was cheaper to build in another plant with modern equipment that use the old S-10 plants. Thus the S-10 plant soldiers on, hopefully NOT until 2006.

To GM's defense, Honda/Toyota are still "young" in the US manufacturing world, and probably have much more modern assembly lines and factories. Maybe Honda will face this problem 10 years from now when their Ohio plant gets older and they want to build a totally new vehicle.

The anomaly of course, is the Sunfire, that will continue to be made at the same plant alongside the new Chevy Cobalt. I guess they only had to upgrade the lines that were making the Cobalt, and could leave the lines for the Sunfire alone, but this hardly seems efficient --- using one factory to make 2 very different vehicles. Maybe it buys them a year or two before they finish upgrading the Sunfire line.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 17 2004, 05:34 PM
4. Suburban / Tahoe front end - like Silverados (even if you hate it, it looks more in line with the rest of the new Chevy product)
just FYI this has already been done in GM mexico, the suburban 2004 gets the silverado front end....

if you have any doubts and u think it is a chop...... check http://www.gm.com.mx/content_data/LAAM/MX/...ban/diseno.html

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 17 2004, 12:34 PM
Chevy's "American Revolution" Not Complete

1. Eliminate stale 20-year old designs from Chevy dealers' lots.
A. Kill the Astro
B. Kill the Blazer
D. Kill the Tracker

i say keep the safari/astro vans. working in the garage at a dealership i see a lot of astro/safari vans go threw the shop for work. the majority of these are company trucks. if GM is making money off of theses trucks then i think they should keep building them. if GM can make money off of these vans so they can cut prices on other GM vehicle by all means keep building them.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I like the Tahoe's front end the way it is. It would look good with the 2002 Avalanche front end on it though. The Tahoe is one if not the greatest looking full size SUV's on the road, plus they sell like hot cakes. GM should upgrade the interior, thats a clear point.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I gotta take issue with Ming's view on the Impala's interior being a "roundy round aerodynamic mid-90's Taurusy interior".

There's nothing roundy round about this interior:

I've had first-hand experience with the Impala and I happen to like it's interior, to me it's unique, doesn't look dated, and is a nice design, it'd just look better in a darker shade with some brushed aluminum as opposed to the wood. That'd make a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Feb 17 2004, 03:32 PM
The Tahoe is one if not the greatest looking full size SUV's on the road, plus they sell like hot cakes.
besides the usual competitor of a recently refreshed (2003) expedition/mountaineer the tahoe/suburban now will have the Nissan Pathfinder Armada the Titan based SUV (you'd think TITAN armada would be a better name) to compete with. IMO the tahoe/suburban needs front end and interior updates quick.

BTW, dont think, with its smaller size, the hemi powered durango is much to worry about.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like Gm interiors on the older model and I also like the new ones on the "revolution" models as well. However I do not agree with the mixing of the two i.e. The Chevy SSR. Why, why put in the damn generic Cav radio from Delco in to that interior. It looks like it was thrown in there with a cutout hole as an afterthought. Otherwise GM is headed in a good direction but the older looks still have some appeal.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm not really impressed with the Suburban Mexico edition. It still looks tacky. The interior hasn't improved, and the exterior looks stupid. Personally, if you listen to my side of the 'American Revolution', one of my favorite topics to comment on, you'll see my side. It isn't worth it to type it over here, when its at the lounge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw a small clip in the most recent motor trend that showed an artist rendition of the next generation Tahoe and Suburban. Supposedly they will be out in 06 or 07. Seems like way to far off to me.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by ChevyEquinox@Feb 17 2004, 09:01 PM
I gotta take issue with Ming's view on the Impala's interior being a "roundy round aerodynamic mid-90's Taurusy interior".

There's nothing roundy round about this interior:

I've had first-hand experience with the Impala and I happen to like it's interior, to me it's unique, doesn't look dated, and is a nice design, it'd just look better in a darker shade with some brushed aluminum as opposed to the wood. That'd make a world of difference.
There's nothing round about that interior...it's just old and outdated and...OH YEA! Cheap!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
i think the mexican front ends would be a great temporary solution unitl the redesign comes along. oh yeah update interior too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts