·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chevy extends all-new Volt's EV range a third to 50 miles
Mike Colias RSS feed
Automotive News
January 12, 2015

DETROIT -- The second-generation Chevrolet Volt will go about 50 miles on an electric charge, up from 38 on today's model, as General Motors looks to broaden the plug-in hybrid's appeal beyond environmentalists and tech geeks.

The 2016 Volt, to be unveiled today at the auto show here, is a clean-sheet redesign of the ground-breaking first iteration that went on sale in late 2010. GM says the car -- which sports more sedan-like styling and a more sinister face -- will be quicker off the line and quieter inside when it hits showrooms in the second half of this year.

And in a sign that GM intends to assert itself as a leader in mass-market cars that plug in, the company revealed the Chevy Bolt, a concept battery-electric vehicle that it says will get around 200 miles of range from a single charge.

A new 1.5-liter engine -- vs. today's 1.4-liter -- extends the total range to about 400 miles and returns an improved 41 mpg during non-EV driving.

It's the first in GM's new family of small engines -- 1.0 to 1.5 liters -- to be used in the company’s U.S. product lineup.

GM chose the 1.5-liter engine, rather than a smaller one, in part because current Volt drivers say they like the powerful, smooth performance of the drive unit -- and wanted more of it.
CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS.COM

Images credit to and courtesy of Automotive News

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I really hope it has a few more interior colors because that all black interior is very dark, depressing and very cheap looking (save for the center stack).

Also do we get a 5 passenger now? Cause that'd be cool...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
This looks a lot less...hefty than the first gen. I like it.
It looks a lot lighter! But the 1st generation looked planted to the ground and a little more slick. This looks lighter, higher and a tad disjointed at the intersection of the hood and windshield.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
This Volt seemed to have lost some of the distinct design attributes that made the original Volt so cool, (i.e., Apple influenced shifter and center stack, lower rear window out back, slick streamlined wrap-around tail-lights). To me it now mimics every other quirky looking alternative fueled car in traffic...maybe that was the idea...
Apple-influenced my beanbag. It looked like the same shifter in every other car.

This looks a lot less...hefty than the first gen. I like it.
Yeah. Looks light and nimble.

Looks better and less porky that the gen 1. It also looks like a Corolla and Civic.
I hope it does better on the market.
The Nissan comment was true. I see some Sentra in the butt profile.

It's whatever, it looks good. I wish it the best. I really like the fascia and the sides look neatly sculpted and scalloped.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
This Volt seemed to have lost some of the distinct design attributes that made the original Volt so cool, (i.e., Apple influenced shifter and center stack, lower rear window out back, slick streamlined wrap-around tail-lights). On the outside to me it now mimics every other quirky looking alternative fueled car in traffic.
It might have been "Apple influenced" with the white look of the dash and controls, but in reality, by the time Volt came to market, even Apple was transitioning away from the white look and moving towards brushed metals.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.