GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continental plans Li-Ion battery production

Mar 13, 2008 3:24 PM

Continental Automotive Systems plans to begin volume production of a high-performance lithium-ion battery for hybrid vehicles at the end of this year. The battery will be used in the Mercedes S 400 BlueHYBRID, for which Continental also supplies the inverter and the DC/DC converter.
The inverter controls the flow of energy between the electric motor and the hybrid battery. The DC/DC converter is the link between the hybrid battery and the vehicle’s standard electric system. It eliminates the need for a conventional generator.
“In the next few years we will be launching production of further lithium-ion energy storage devices for mild- and full-hybrid and electric-powered vehicles,” said Continental executive board member Dr. Karl-Thomas Neumann.

MORE AT LINK:

http://autoelectronics.com/news/continental_battery_production_0313/index.html

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be NICE if Chevy launched the Volt in Spring 2009... That would completely clear up any questions about vaporware:yup:

·
Registered
803 Posts
BlueHYBRID...now thats a great idea. I keep bringing up the Opel diesel/hybrid from a few years ago. I don't know why there isn't more effort put into that technology.

·
Registered
507 Posts
BlueHYBRID...now thats a great idea. I keep bringing up the Opel diesel/hybrid from a few years ago. I don't know why there isn't more effort put into that technology.
Same here, to me it makes sense to put a hybrid platform on a small, diesel vehicle that already gets decent mileage. This would produce the ultimate in fuel economy. I know plenty of people who would buy a car based on that alone. Its nice to have the best fuel economy in a vehicles class, but why not deliver a vehicle that simply gets the BEST OVERALL fuel economy. I see a diesel/electric hybrid, similar to the volt as the best and most economical way to pursue that. As for me, I drive my '63 Buick as my daily in the summer, so mpg isn't quite at the top of my list:D, but i would like to get into a Volt as my commuter in the next couple years.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Can't wait for the plug-ins!

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Wow, a Bluehybrid would be awsome. Mercedes v6 diesel is very efficient, combined with a 2-mode system it would be killer.

I hope this means the Volt will be on track!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Wow, they're not wasting any time! That was quick.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I wonder if they're already working on the intro commercials. I'm sure there's the perfect theme song out there...

maybe AC/DC's High Voltage?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Speaking of these cars, I was watching a vieo clip on Jay Leno's Garage the other night. He was talking about his old 1909 Baker electric. It took him all of 1 second to unplug the car from the charger, and be ready to drive off. I'd LOVE to have a viable EV to drive to and from work.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
b/c then people could burn Used veggie oil,
which can be had for free from any restaurant and Oil companies couldnt sell you any dino diesel,and consequently lose millions of $$ in profits!
mind you,many people do this already

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts