GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOURCE: LeftLaneNews.com

With fuel economy becoming such an issue, GM will soon start selling Big Wheels. Or as its been referred to internally, “Global Gamma Big Wheels.” What this “Big Wheels” program amounts to is a compact utility vehicle slotted below the Equinox in Chevy’s lineup.

Size-wise, we’re talking about a vehicle roughly in the same ballpark as a Scion xB or a Hyundai Tucson. Inside you’ll find a traditional 2-row setup with the rear seats folding flat to maximize cargo space.

Set to ride on GM’s new Global Gamma chassis, this yet unnamed Chevy ‘Ute is primarily being engineered by GMDAT. Any mention of GM’s Gamma chassis usually conjures up images of Chevy’s tiny Aveo. While it might be hard to imagine a utility vehicle on a chassis that small, this new sub-Equinox vehicle will actually be on a stretched version of GM’s new, small-car architecture.
MORE HERE

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another Quote:

It’s not clear if the project is related to the Chevy Groove or Trax concepts, but GM’s Ed Peper recently confirmed one of the two will be produced for the U.S. market on the Gamma platform. Accordingly, our artist has created a speculative illustration of a Groove-like SUV as one potential outcome.
Even more evidence of Gamma's importance.

But again, if Gamma will underpin sub-compacts like the Aveo (and future Corsa?), smaller-than-subcompact/super-Minis like the Beat (and maybe the Agila?), and crossovers like this sub-Equinox product --- THEN WHY CAN'T WE GET THE BEAT IN THE UNITED STATES?

I know some posters said that the reason is because GM couldn't make a profit on such a small product - especially if the Aveo already starts at $11K or so. Fine, if they can't import it profitably or build it in Mexico, Brazil, or elsewhere cheaply enough, its understood.

But to think that Lutz and others say that they'd have to redesign the whole car, etc to meet US regulations - when other platform-mates are clearly US-bound - just seems deceptive to me.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I'm glad that GM is going full-bore with its small entries. The market will reward GM for this. Hopefully they ca fit a small diesel or, dare I say it, the 2-mode into this size vehicle.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I've heard this compact utility vehicle "slotted below Equinox" thing a few times now, like talking points.

Hello, HHR? Or is the HHR going away for good?'

I find it hard to believe that the Gamma crossover would be any more utilitarian or off-road capable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As an owner of the HHR, i won't mind something smaller and more fuel efficient, but the power has to be sufficent.
Thank being said I am very happy with the usefulness of the HHR, i have the 2.4lt.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I'm glad that GM is going full-bore with its small entries. The market will reward GM for this. Hopefully they ca fit a small diesel or, dare I say it, the 2-mode into this size vehicle.
A version of E-Flex in this could be awesome.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've heard this compact utility vehicle "slotted below Equinox" thing a few times now, like talking points.

Hello, HHR? Or is the HHR going away for good?'

I find it hard to believe that the Gamma crossover would be any more utilitarian or off-road capable.

First, the HHR replacement is going to be a Chevy version of the Zafira sold globally. It may or may not have retro styling and/or take on the HHR name.

Second, the Equinox is about the size of the S-10 Blazer. It competes more with the Edge and Murano than the Tucson, CR-V, or escape. This is basically true replacement for the Tracker.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
As an owner of the HHR, i won't mind something smaller and more fuel efficient, but the power has to be sufficent.
Thank being said I am very happy with the usefulness of the HHR, i have the 2.4lt.
I agree. The HHR should get E-Flex. This would differentiate it from the Gamma crossover. The HHR already sells in good volumes and shouldn't be changed much, IMO. E-Flex would make it sell like hotcakes, but steal from Volt sales.

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The folks at Left Lane offered up a picture as well for those who are interested:

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
I would think something loosely based on the trax, but slightly larger.
Trax or Groove. I forget which one is which.

But if Chevy wants to start a family of micro-mini-subcompact-compact crossovers and/or wagons, I think that is an absolutely BRILLIANT idea!!! Cover all bases for a global deployment of new Chevys.

Smartest move Chevy has made in a while, if you asked me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Enough with the freakin daewoos. Daewoo subcompact, Daewoo compact, Daewoo small SUV thing. What are all the American engineers and designers doing? They've canceled plans for a new corvette, tahoe, impala, malibu, camaro convertible, rwd pontiacs, kappa II, XLS, STS/DTS, Northstar replacement, and the V12...

Do they even have a NA division anymore?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I love the idea, assuming they keep it smaller than the HHR. I always loved the Tracker, and could see people liking a vehicle like this. Same footprint as a subcompact but with more interior space (including headroom).

I get the impression that the Beat will be even smaller and not as tall, which leaves some room for this thing!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
First, the HHR replacement is going to be a Chevy version of the Zafira sold globally. It may or may not have retro styling and/or take on the HHR name.

Second, the Equinox is about the size of the S-10 Blazer. It competes more with the Edge and Murano than the Tucson, CR-V, or escape. This is basically true replacement for the Tracker.
True, I'd forgotten that (though I wasn't sure if there would be some bleedover with the HHR being sold as the new Zafira based Chevy is available), and the Zafira would be less likely to pass as a "crossover" -- more of a true "mini" minivan.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Enough with the freakin daewoos. Daewoo subcompact, Daewoo compact, Daewoo small SUV thing. What are all the American engineers and designers doing? They've canceled plans for a new corvette, tahoe, impala, malibu, camaro convertible, rwd pontiacs, kappa II, XLS, STS/DTS, Northstar replacement, and the V12...

Do they even have a NA division anymore?
There is no Daewoo anymore. All further projects are collaborative efforts between the three major divisions. GMDAT has Gamma and the sedan Delta IIs, GM europe has the hatch delta IIs and Epsilon IIs, and GMNA has trucks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts