1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy admits there's confusion over Bolt and Volt names
Feb 20th 2015
Chris Bruce

Offering the possibility of 200 miles of driving range and the potential for a price of about $30,000, the Chevrolet Bolt is an incredibly enticing vehicle, and it has an opportunity to be a big player in the EV world. However, the hatchback has been plagued by one problem since the moment it debuted – the name.

Bolt sounds very similar to Volt, Chevy's extended-range plug-in, and they can be easy to confuse in a conversation. That's not the best quality to have when trying to get a new vehicle's name out there among customers, and General Motors North America president Alan Batey told the Detroit Free Press that the company is aware of the problem. While the EV is definitely going into production, the model might be wearing a different moniker when it hits showrooms.

"We're still in the decision phase. It could go either way," Batey said to the Free Press. He indicated the automaker still has about a year before a final decision is necessary.

CONTINUE AT AUTOBLOG.COM

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
AutoBlog said:
Bolt sounds very similar to Volt, Chevy's extended-range plug-in, and they can be easy to confuse in a conversation. That's not the best quality to have when trying to get a new vehicle's name out there among customers, and General Motors North America president Alan Batey told the Detroit Free Press that the company is aware of the problem. While the EV is definitely going into production, the model might be wearing a different moniker when it hits showrooms.
Thank you Jesus! For the love of brand awareness and informing your potential customers, just change the name. This is what happens when suits try to be cute and think they're being so clever. Possibly diluting the impact your all-new product will have on the motoring public by confusing it with something already in your portfolio is beyond stupid.

AutoBlog said:
"We're still in the decision phase. It could go either way," Batey said to the Free Press. He indicated the automaker still has about a year before a final decision is necessary.
There shouldn't be any "decision phase" or "going either way". The right call is to change the name. The only decision here is what to eventually call it.

Constructive criticism Mr. Batey: Be direct and straight forward. It's a refreshing thing in this business. Say, "We think we made a mistake; we're planning on fixing it". Just think about how novel that would be to cut to the point. Lots of folks in the business will admire you for it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
There shouldn't be any "decision phase" or "going either way". The right call is to change the name. The only decision here is what to eventually call it.
Careful what you wish for. I agree that the name should simply be changed... no ifs ands or buts. Just come up with something new. BUT the process of giving something a name within the walls of GM is likely equivalent to a monkey f*****g a football.

There will be focus groups. There will be crowd-sourcing. There will be millions of dollars spent on consultants. The end result will likely be stupid no matter what. They already think its OK to have the thing look like it does, the name won't be much better either way.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Careful what you wish for. I agree that the name should simply be changed... no ifs ands or buts. Just come up with something new. BUT the process of giving something a name within the walls of GM is likely equivalent to a monkey f*****g a football.

There will be focus groups. There will be crowd-sourcing. There will be millions of dollars spent on consultants. The end result will likely be stupid no matter what. They already think its OK to have the thing look like it does, the name won't be much better either way.
Perhaps you're right. I can't imagine that the Chevy Bolterrificar sounds any better --- even if a focus group in a controlled environment thinks so. ;-)

·
Registered
621 Posts

Just look at the Cadillac naming convention both currently and future. They spend millions on just looking at a 3 alphanumeric name. Talk about a waste of friggin money. They don't listen to fans or enthusiasts. I honestly think that GM goes to a country that doesn't speak any English and asks people if they like a name or not, boom we got a name now. My lord, it can't be that difficult.

·
Registered
364 Posts
They seem to be very careful to always call it the "Bolt Concept" - I'm hoping for "AMP"

And I don't think there is anything wrong with the way it looks. But the production car needs to be as interesting.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Just look at the Cadillac naming convention both currently and future. They spend millions on just looking at a 3 alphanumeric name. Talk about a waste of friggin money. They don't listen to fans or enthusiasts. I honestly think that GM goes to a country that doesn't speak any English and asks people if they like a name or not, boom we got a name now. My lord, it can't be that difficult.
I get caddies "logic" as they are H*LL bent on being European and selling in Europe + China / Brazil ETC are NON English countries ++ Caddies heritage is NOT relatable to where CADDY is headed ETC
BUT BOLT/VOLT is dumb in ANY LANGUAGE

·
Registered
341 Posts
I always thought the "Bolt" name was a stupid decision. It has an incredibly gimmicky feel to have electric cars with a rhyming name scheme. There was also a transformer in one of the Michael Bay movies based on a Volt named "Jolt" for the hat trick of terrible marketing.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My gosh, even from the gitgo they said they were going to rename it. So, get on with it! ... before there's any more confusion and before the Bolt name gets too far ingrained into the minds of the public which would mean even more money trying to get it replaced and the new name recognized.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Chevy Current
Chevy Graviton
Chevy Galvatron
Chevy Static
Chevy Sol
Chevy ThunderBolt
Chevy Boson
Chevy Magnifique
Chevy Aurora