GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mary Barra speaking on Bloomberg just reported that the 2023 Chevy Silverado
RST 1st Edition EV Pickup Truck sold out in 19 minutes. Priced at $ 108,695.00 including
destination, the only question remaining is how many units were in the initial offering.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took a (non-binding) reservation for an RST (regular production edition) this afternoon. Dealer has informed me to expect delivery in the spring of 2024. GM has stated the 1st Edition RST units will start shipping in the fall of 2023. Interesting that my deposit was paid to my dealer, not General Motors.

Font Screenshot Electronic device Rectangle Logo

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
"Mary Barra speaking on Bloomberg just reported that the 2023 Chevy Silverado
RST 1st Edition EV Pickup Truck sold out in 19 minutes."

So the 1st Edition is going to come out 9 months AFTER the 2nd Edition Work Truck?

🤔

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Sold out in 19 minutes, pleased to hear you got your order in Perian, an RST wow congratulations (y). 2024 that's a bit of a wait though.

·
Premium Member
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sold out in 19 minutes, pleased to hear you got your order in Perian, an RST wow congratulations (y). 2024 that's a bit of a wait though.
Looking to purchase the standard RST, not the 1st Edition. Will be replacing a 2015 BMW X5 Diesel, that has been a wonderful vehicle. No major (or even minor) problems thus far, and a constant 34+ miles per gallon.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
$108k....is that a typo? I'm not impressed if thats true. I guess it will be a niche vehicle that's not geared towards the people who buy the current trucks for everyday driving/family use.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,480 Posts
Lightning is just as expensive on the top model.
Corrected:

Both Lightning and Silvy EV Work Trucks start around $40K, but the Chevy will have 250-300mi range per C&D versus 230mi for the Ford. Here’s what C&D says:

“We also don't know the range of the $39,900 WT, but we expect it to be like the lower trim levels of the Hummer EV, which GMC currently estimates will span from 250 to 300 miles.”

EDIT: Hmmmm, re-reading the presser I'm not sure the $40K WT will offer full 400mi range. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. The initial WT configuration will offer 400mi...but possibly priced over $40K. How much, I don't know. There's no explicit mention of a short-range version but it says things like:

"In spring 2023, the Silverado EV will debut a WT model offering GM’s longest range battery with an expected GM-estimated range of over 400 miles on a full charge...After production ramps up, Chevrolet will unleash the full Silverado EV portfolio, including WT (with a starting at MSRP of $39,900 + DFC)... "

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
Looking to purchase the standard RST, not the 1st Edition. Will be replacing a 2015 BMW X5 Diesel, that has been a wonderful vehicle. No major (or even minor) problems thus far, and a constant 34+ miles per gallon.
Since you are one of the people leaving a high-end German make for a Chevy truck, I'm interested to hear what about it got you jump ship from BMW where an ICE Chevy truck couldn't.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
Once the lower cost trim models come online, I wonder how much the Silverado EV will cannibalize sales from the Hummer EV
I'm thinking not much due to the Hummer's styling/image vs. the Silverado's more conservative looks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I took a (non-binding) reservation for an RST (regular production edition) this afternoon. Dealer has informed me to expect delivery in the spring of 2024. GM has stated the 1st Edition RST units will start shipping in the fall of 2023. Interesting that my deposit was paid to my dealer, not General Motors.

View attachment 65149
Congrats! I hope it is worth the little wait.

Also am curious why the jump from diesel BMW to an electric truck? The RST is sure sharp looking in an Avalanchey way.

·
Premium Member
35,382 Posts

You are better off with the 3.0 liter 10 speed

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
I thought the same thing but it's been reported those initial Work Trucks will be available commercially only.
So it's 2+ years away; outside offering up a few fleet models to limit the damage the Lightning is going to inflict.

That at least makes a little sense, "damage control".

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So it's 2+ years away; outside offering up a few fleet models to limit the damage the Lightning is going to inflict.

That at least makes a little sense, "damage control".
You are behaving exceptionally bearish about GM's EV reveals today, Ed.

·
Premium Member
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since you are one of the people leaving a high-end German make for a Chevy truck, I'm interested to hear what about it got you jump ship from BMW where an ICE Chevy truck couldn't.
I was looking at a BMW X5 in December of 2015. I had owned diesels before and honestly, was attracted to BMW because I knew that the VW diesel scandal would make them impossible to sell. Between BMW incentives, and the dealership raising the white flag, I purchased two of them (X5d and X3d) at $ 18,400 and 14,150 off list. They have been wonderful vehicles.

I have not driven a diesel Surburban, but will before I finalize my Silverado EV purchase. I leased a 2014 Chevy Volt, and very much enjoyed driving it in EV mode. I would probably have purchased it when my lease ended, but winters in New York are cold, and the heat output in the Volt was to say the very least; lacking.

.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
I was looking at a BMW X5 in December of 2015. I had owned diesels before and honestly, was attracted to BMW because I knew that the VW diesel scandal would make them impossible to sell. Between BMW incentives, and the dealership raising the white flag, I purchased two of them (X5d and X3d) at $ 18,400 and 14,150 off list. They have been wonderful vehicles.

I have not driven a diesel Surburban, but will before I finalize my Silverado EV purchase. I leased a 2014 Chevy Volt, and very much enjoyed driving it in EV mode. I would probably have purchased it when my lease ended, but winters in New York are cold, and the heat output in the Volt was to say the very least; lacking.
[/QUOTE]

Those are some good deals on the BMW's!!! Can't wait to see what you end up getting - diesel Suburban or Silverado EV.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts