GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 6.0L vortec engine. This truck is crazy. It all begins after it was in service for a code regarding deactivation on cylinder 6 for economy. They replaced the coil pack and another part. All was fine for 2 days, and it came up again. With that code, I was driving and the gauges twitched rapidly, inside lights dimmed and flashed, locks cycled up and down, and all of the electronics reset. Apon turning it off, it had no power at all. It would reset itself but got worse over time. I took it to another dealer, they did more work, and long story short they ended up replacing the crankshaft. At the same time they replaced every single battery cable. As far as the electrical issues go, i didnt have any for 3 weeks and they slowly returned. It would be little like the clock reset then a few days later full blown freaking out. The dealer reseated the fuse block and it solved it for another 3 weeks. Now today it freaked out again, and had reset several times during the day. I pulled the fuse box cover off, and one of the four clips is missing that holds down the handles. I pulled the box up and underneath where the main power in runs into a connector that the fuse block plugs into, the clips holding it in place are broken. My question is with all of these stupid clips broken, can that cause it to have an intermittent connection? Has about 65,000 miles, k&n air filter system. Over 5,000 in work has been done under warranty so far.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I had an 09 Pontiac G8 that would do similar things
the car would shut down / lights NOT working / heater going out ETC the D I C display flashing/flickering / locking up
turned out in the end the dealer had updated the programming in the engine ECM but used a batt charger to prevent the battery from dying and there is a TSB from GM stating to NOT use a batt charger but there special power supply as a NORMAL charger causes "noise" in the power and the programming sequence puts non programmed ECM's to sleep mode and the "NOISE" wakes them up again and they can get there program corrupted and it turned out the Gauge controller got corrupted and a NEW cluster fixed it that is after MOST of the wiring was changed and coil packs a CAM phaser / the whole timing setup and harnesses + 2 different batteries a BCM and engine ECM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing is the head technician had the computer HOOKED UP to the truck and was driving around town. It did the same things to him! They got no codes as far as I know. Everything works fine. It seems to happen when I go around corners.

·
Registered
272 Posts
At my shop we've seen repeated issues with a poorly crimped negative battery cable, at the battery terminal. Pull on it and see what happens.

First ran into this on my ex-wife's 2008 Yukon, when it was nearly new. Dealer never could find anything and kept replacing the battery. It finally crapped out in my driveway and I figured it out.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just re-read the original post and saw that the battery cables have been replaced. My bad . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts