GM Inside News Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
20,429 Posts
I wish GM would hurry up and make a "MOAB" edition of the Camaro complete with trailer package already.

Truckman, why not just buy a used truck or minivan to trailer your boat, well depending on how big your boat is.
Sell his USED truck for top-dollar, and buy another USED truck for top-dollar?..........

I don't think it'll work, just my hunch!

·
Registered
20,429 Posts
So Ford posted Q1 earning today, probably worthy of its own thread, but Ford is expecting Q2 production to be off by as much as 50%.

So a few weeks back, when I said the thoughts that shortages were going to get worse, before they get better, is real, in a BIG way, WOW - What a mess.

·
Registered
18,214 Posts
So Ford posted Q1 earning today, probably worthy of its own thread, but Ford is expecting Q2 production to be off by as much as 50%.

So a few weeks back, when I said the thoughts that shortages were going to get worse, before they get better, is real, in a BIG way, WOW - What a mess.
50% is a huge number. Even if you get rid of a used car what are you going to buy? Feel a crash coming really soon.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,220 Posts
Meanwhile Apple revenue is up +54%...that's a lot of chips...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
50% is a huge number. Even if you get rid of a used car what are you going to buy? Feel a crash coming really soon.
Don't crash now, your car's worth too much :geek:

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Sell his USED truck for top-dollar, and buy another USED truck for top-dollar?..........

I don't think it'll work, just my hunch!
Does the used truck have to be less than 5 years old?. I know this a forum of of new car snobby junkies ;but damn he just needs a truck to tow a boat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Local Inventory in Calgary Airdrie area is pathetic for GM! Dodge and Ford lots are full when I drive by, so what is GM's problem?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Local Inventory in Calgary Airdrie area is pathetic for GM! Dodge and Ford lots are full when I drive by, so what is GM's problem?
They're most popular??

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,094 Posts
They're most popular??
Ha. Maybe so. Nobody(sort of) wants the Dodges and Fords in that locale :D. Edit: Then again how long has what's there been sitting there, or is it constantly changing? Better details would be nice too, 'cause you can't have a case/rebuttal without knowing all the details :).

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Looks like Equinox production in Canada is halting due to chip shortages as well.

gm authority dot com/blog/2021/04/gm-suspending-chevy-equinox-production-at-gm-cami-assembly-plant-in-july/

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,094 Posts
Looks like Equinox production in Canada is halting due to chip shortages as well.

gm authority dot com/blog/2021/04/gm-suspending-chevy-equinox-production-at-gm-cami-assembly-plant-in-july/
Wow. It looks like the problem is going to get worse yet before it gets better :(. Politics of things aside, maybe there is/was something to Trump and his taking care of America first agenda he was pushing, being a businessman first and not a bloviating DC windbag politician type. Look what has become of things in all areas of the economy and supply and demand not having more "at home" sources for products and components even with Covid-19 work force issues thrown out of it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Wow. It looks like the problem is going to get worse yet before it gets better :(. Politics of things aside, maybe there is/was something to Trump and his taking care of America first agenda he was pushing, being a businessman first and not a bloviating DC windbag politician type. Look what has become of things in all areas of the economy and supply and demand not having more "at home" sources for products and components even with Covid-19 work force issues thrown out of it.

Here's the link to the Ford statement, they're talking about losing 1.1m units this year due to chip shortages.

"Ford now expects to lose about 50% of its planned second-quarter production, up from 17% in the first quarter – again, implying that Q2 will be the trough of the issue. Ford anticipates the flow of semiconductors from the Japan supplier to resume by the end of the second quarter – but, like many others in the industry, that the broader global semiconductor shortage may not be fully resolved until 2022. The company now assumes that it will lose 10% of planned second-half 2021 production. All told, Ford now expects to lose about 1.1 million units of production this year to the semiconductor shortage."

(There was a huge fire at a major Japanese chip factory, that's the "Japan supplier".)

GM releases their financials on May 5, we should know more at that point. 1m units lost? 2m?

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

I had my family’s Chevrolet Impala LTZ and Ford Expedition Limited serviced this past week at the Chevrolet and Ford dealerships. Both are medium size dealerships, in or near rural areas. Both have been successful for years, and sell a lot of vehicles.

Their parking lots look as if they are going out of business. Very few new vehicles, and virtually no new trucks on the lots (usually the lots are full of new vehicles).

I suspect when the manufacturers return to normal production, they will be selling a lot of new vehicles due to the lack of vehicles now, and will probably be selling them at a higher transaction price due to the pent-up demand.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts

Another article going into details of what you posted: Semiconductor Shortage Bites: Ford Cuts Q2 Production by 50%

Some points in it:
  • It expects to lose 50% of its planned production in Q2, after having lost 17% of its planned production in Q1.
  • The semiconductor shortage “will get worse before it gets better.”
  • In the second half, it expects to lose 10% of planned production.
  • For the whole year, it expects to lose 1.1 million vehicles of production, compared to prior estimates of production losses of 200,000 to 400,000 vehicles.
  • Due to the semiconductor shortage, it expects an “adverse effect” to earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) of $2.5 billion.
  • “Like many others in the industry,” it expects that the global semiconductor shortage for the entire industry “may not be fully resolved until 2022.”
  • No one was ready for the tsunami of stimulus money that washed in waves over American consumers that caused a historic spending spree on durable goods. Many of those durable goods contain chips. And now there is a global chip shortage.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts