GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hybrid truck also works as a generator
Owners can run refrigerator, heat house using GM pickups with $2,500 option.
By Kenn Peters
The Post-Standard

Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size pickup trucks for 2005 will have an optional gas/electric hybrid engine that can double as a generator.

General Motors says the hybrid engine improves fuel economy by 10 percent. Plus, four 120-volt power outlets will allow drivers to plug in compressors, power tools, refrigerators, home heating systems and televisions - no matter where they are.

Larry Nitz, executive director of hybrid powertrain engineering for GM, said the hybrid pickups will be ideal for use at a construction site, a camp site, or at a home in the event of a power failure.

GM plans to make the hybrid engine a $2,500 option. Starting prices for Silverados range from $21,000 to $40,000, depending on configuration.

Used as a generator, the hybrid truck will idle for 32 hours on a full tank of gas, toot the horn when the tank reaches a certain fuel level, and automatically shut off when there are two gallons left so the owner will have enough gas to drive a reasonable distance for more.

There should be no worries about the truck being stolen while it's idling in the driveway or at the camp site because the key can be removed from the ignition while the engine is running and the doors can be locked, Nitz said.

The gas/electric hybrid system works like this:

The gas engine shuts off under several conditions such as when the truck is going 12 miles an hour or less and when it's stopped.

The gas engine also shuts off when the driver lifts off the throttle, or steps on the brake.

When the driver steps on the accelerator, the engine instantly and quietly is running again without hesitation, Nitz said.

The braking system captures vehicle energy during braking to improve fuel economy, according to GM. The truck also has an electric starter/generator, and an electro-hydraulic system that keeps power steering and power brakes working while the gas engine is off.

Nitz said the decision to put hybrid power into GM's largest vehicles, instead of the smallest as Toyota and Honda have done, was made because these are the vehicles that have the best opportunity to make a large impact on gas usage in the country.

The trucks are being made available for fleet use first in the South, and will go into showrooms this fall.

Jon Bur****, owner of Bur**** Pontiac-GMC, of Liverpool, said he's seen the hybrid truck and he's eager to get it in stock.

"We're excited about it because it will help consumers, and nationwide there is a chance we can lessen our oil dependency," Bur**** said.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
this is awesome, I can see it now, car shows will be dominated by GM trucks because people don't want to waste money buying capacitors and extra batteries etc for their sound systems...not to mention you could run a computer, fullsize TV, game system, domestic radio system, etc, etc off of a system like this, I hope it comes to Canada, awesome idea for a worksite

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by bakerna@Apr 30 2004, 08:18 AM
I hope it comes to Canada, awesome idea for a worksite
Actually, it came to Canada first - think there was an article out there a couple of weeks ago - Canada should soon have or already has these available to fleet.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Jimgm@Apr 30 2004, 10:56 AM
Can you get this with the Duramax Diesel?
My understanding is that this is limited to the gasoline engines. One of the big reasons for a diesel engine is the massive torque down low, where a hybrid normally employs the electric engine. I'm pretty sure that an electric motor capable of producing enough torque to equal that of a diesel engine would be somewhat large and inefficient.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
This is great. GM will have the first 'pick-up' truck hybrid. I hope that we can see more hybrids from GM!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by bakerna@Apr 30 2004, 08:18 AM
this is awesome, I can see it now, car shows will be dominated by GM trucks because people don't want to waste money buying capacitors and extra batteries etc for their sound systems...not to mention you could run a computer, fullsize TV, game system, domestic radio system, etc, etc off of a system like this, I hope it comes to Canada, awesome idea for a worksite
think this option allows for larger power hungry accessories to be powered. of the things you mentioned i already have most in my car now. besides, at most indoor car shows your not allowed to turn vehicle on, i use to use a battery charger connected straight to starter to power my accessories since battery is required to be disconnected. and from what i understand of hybrids, both parts are operating at same time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Whats the horsepower and torque ratings? Does it still have teh 5.3 V-8 or is it going to just be for the 4.8???

·
Registered
38 Posts

Used as a generator, the hybrid truck will idle for 32 hours on a full tank of gas,
ok,tank of gas will cost you about 70$,
not very efficient way making electric power! :rolleyes:
I sure as hell wouldnt want to use that big v8 as a genset very often

when you could just buy a small single cylinder generator such as people use on construction sites now,for maybe couple hundred $$ and get the same power output for way less gas!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone have an idea where these are produced? Interested in knowing whether the Truck plant in Oshawa will be building these models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So like I already have one of the very latest, greatest, trucks avail. to the public, in my opinion ofcourse! and that being a Sierra "Denali" YES the one with quadrasteer and loaded with other goodies!! I have already, in 1 year , put this truck thru its paces by towing a 7k# 5th wheel now over 13k miles of 27k miles!! so how long before I can trade for one with these features + the ones I already have?? will these hybrids be able to tow sizable RV's also?? :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts