GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy Equinox Will Reportedly Get a Mild Refresh for the 2016MY.
Carscoops
By: Dan Mihalascu
December 11, 2014

Last time we heard about the Chevrolet Equinox, GM said it was doing really good, posting sales increases every year since its 2009 launch. However, it appears that GM is not resting on its laurels and will give the SUV a mild refresh for the 2016 model year.

The automaker wants to make the Equinox more competitive against rivals like the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5 and Toyota RAV-4, all of which are newer or have received more recent facelifts. Chevrolet Car and Crossover marketing manager Steve Majoros told Edmunds the 2016 Equinox will be unveiled within a couple of months and that it will be an important product for Chevrolet.

While he didn’t say what will change on the 2016 Equinox, sources from within the company said the SUV will get a deeper, wider grille with horizontal chrome inserts, similar to the grilles of the 2015 Cruze and Traverse.

The front fascia will be restyled and the interior will get an update, possibly including new upholsteries. These changes should be enough to keep the Equinox relevant until the model’s full redesign, expected to happen in 2017 at the earliest.

The 2016 Equinox will arrive in Chevrolet showrooms next year. Since its 2009 launch, the Equinox hasn’t received any exterior or interior updates. Chevrolet sold more than 238,000 Equinox vehicles last year and nearly 221,000 units this year through November.

Note: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox pictured

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Equinox is an important vehicle for GM in a segment that's not getting any easier to compete in. It's still competitive, but it's no longer as good as it once was compared to the rest of the class. The Theta twins and Lambda triplet's replacements should be launching sooner instead of later, lest they wither on the vine like the GMT-360 program did.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Mild" refresh?? Are they kidding??

And 2017 for an all-new CUV???

ARE THE LIGHTS EVEN ON AT THE REN CEN??
Seriously. A 7 year life cycle for a car like the Equinox is FAR too long.

Even worse? Almost a 10 year life span for the Acadia.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts

Exactly...It's not like it's a competitive segment or anything, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would assume model year 15 will be super short, with 16 lasting as long as possible before the 17 (which I could see getting pushed to 18) redesign. Does its twin get a modest update too? I'd be intrigued to see what they do with the Terrain.....

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly...It's not like it's a competitive segment or anything, right? :rolleyes:
Nah, not at all. :lmao:

The Acadia is the worst case of it, though. It launched waaaaaay back in 2006 as a 2007 MY car IIRC. It's going to be, what, 11 years until the replacement hits dealers? Absolutely inexcusable IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts

The Nox sells today as well as it did day one. It's one of GM's best products. It hasn't aged a bit and still remains a compelling choice in the market.

GM is trying align their product cadence across brands that share platforms. Not to mention, the Nox is a money maker. This wasn't a lazy decision, it was smart business decision. No harm done. I was done for a good reason.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The Nox sells today as well as it did day one. It's one of GM's best products. It hasn't aged a bit and still remains a compelling choice in the market.

GM is trying align their product cadence across brands that share platforms. Not to mention, the Nox is a money maker. This wasn't a lazy decision, it was smart business decision. No harm done. I was done for a good reason.
Thank You! The Equinox is still a great vehicle. It could use a new front grille/facia and an interior materials upgrade, but aside from that it's fine until the next gen arrives. Its competitors still haven't caught up with it in some ways. However, as with the Malibu and Impala, I would like to see an RS version.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
"Mild" refresh?? Are they kidding??

And 2017 for an all-new CUV???

ARE THE LIGHTS EVEN ON AT THE REN CEN??
I agree.

For the love of just about EVERYTHING, put a new Engine/Transmission in at least the 4 cylinder version. It is still selling NOW with the age old powertrain, but what will it be like in a year or two? 2 years ago I was hoping they would put the 2.5 in this thing already, by the time 2016 comes around, the 2.5 might even be dated compared to the competition, yet from the sound of it, this vehicle will carry on with the 2.4.

I think GM is going to find out that unless this thing is updated more substantially, sales are going to fall pretty hard in the next year or two...as more choice in the small CUV segment come on, like the Mazda CX-3, Jeep Renegade, event heir own Trax. Many buyers in the past may have bought the Equinox because it was the best option out there (but may have wanted something slightly smaller). Once smaller choices are available that are a LOT newer, the Equinox may lose 10-15% of their potential buyers.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, we're not saying the Equinox is a bad car. It's just old, and the design is "been there, done that".

7 years on the market is too long, even if the car is still very competitive. People just get tired of the same look for so long.

The interior isn't as great as it looked or felt, the technology isn't class leading anymore, and it looks the same today as it did 5 years ago. That's not good. The only thing that would make the Equinox compelling for me is the 3.6L V6. That's about it. Pretty much everything else is just average.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I would assume model year 15 will be super short, with 16 lasting as long as possible before the 17 (which I could see getting pushed to 18) redesign. Does its twin get a modest update too? I'd be intrigued to see what they do with the Terrain.....
I would LOVE to see them finally make the Terrain less ugly...

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Well..... the Thetas, and counter intuitively, especially the Lambda's are a special case.

Along the lines of a largely ideal case - in practical terms.

Doesn't happen often, but very much to ( old ) GM's credit, it did here with both these programs.

To be sure, more change and improvement along the way might have been useful, but when you get the fundamentals right, that is not necessarily as an attractive proposition as when you come up a little short or short lived..

Especially, if you have other fires to put out or other things also of high value to accomplish.

Unfortunately chasing the stupidity of the bankster's US automotive 10 % rate of return ( especially @ a time like this ) can lead to this as well.

I digress.

Anyway .....

A smartly refreshed Equinox along the lines styling wise of the 2015 Acadia would be a very good thing and then some.

Main thing there would be besides the styling opportunities - PTs and impact protection improvements.

Lambda's are really about that first ( only) because they have had for a while now ( or at least the two I follow meaning Enclave and Acadia ) the higher effort, higher quality impact protection for going forward while @ the front of the class.

If they can get that Lambda level of class performance for the Thetas then they really would have something because so far to date ( with the incomplete information available ) nobody regardless of brand or price has done that in this size SUV / CUV.

Including the Euros, of course to no surprise all Toyota / Lexus product, Nissan, Honda with the new CRV somewhat up in the air and surprisingly given how well the new 200 did - the Cherokee.

And Ford.

( Unless you count some very recent Subaru CUV 'type 2' product a certain way. Late add : Oops, forgot.... some HK may have just made it in. Have to recheck.)

Mpgs, the Theta safety bump ( likely within reach of the current vehicle ) and evolutionary improvements including with regard to styling are all that are required - and that is not just to make do but rather to continue to do well and then some.

Whack the mpg thing the right way along with a little of the right spices here and there and they could go farther than both programs did @ the beginning and then forward from there.

Need the new FWD AT to really get after that along with something else besides the current 3.6 so really some of the continued harmonization efforts in order to fully heal the BK / post BK disruptions also involve getting the platform / model stuff lined up with the PT programs.

Always figured that 2018 was the earliest that could even begin to come to fruition unless they busted a series of big moves which they most certainly did not under Whitacre and Akerson - which was made certain and then some by GM's far different prioritization and paradoxically better start situation than say Chrysler's.

Clearly they have been almost fully and completely unwilling to do the expensive kind of things to bring timelines back into harmony real quick like.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lame.

Not a good sign. If they are announcing a 2016 MCE now then any truly new EQ wouldn't be out till 2017 or 2018 so they can get full return on the MCE. It's dated now and will only be more dated by the time the MCE and 2018 model get released.

At least the Traverse and other Lambdas had their makeovers which were well done.

The EQ and Terrain deserve better. Not continually bled till the last dollar and last sale. Sales have already flattened. But the ren cen is oblivious.

R the lights off?????

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

Equinox is a great little crossover, rated at something like 32mpg on the highway IIRC, assuming fwd 4 cyl. They look great on the road, especially in top trim. The sliding rear bench is very slick too.

If it gets a front end treatment like the 2014 Malibu it will really be a looker. The current one is fine, but it reminds me of the '13 Malibu. While the '13 Malibu was fine in the front, the '14 is very sharp. Besides that, it could use an updated interior.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.